What painkillers are the players taking in game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have always thought it's a complete joke that you can't take a pre workout but a cortisone injection after a serious twisted knee/rolled ankle that would force you out of a game is totally fine.
We had an AFL player come into a Sport Science class I took to do a bit of a Q and A. Something that he said which was quite interesting was the difference in attitudes towards managing pain at his club vs a previous club he played for, specifically around injections. He said it was something his team rarely did (and gave us examples of players at the time who could have received them but didn't, and the club instead chose to just not play them). He said a previous team he played for though didn't hesitate and would give injections to players all the time. Blamed injections at his previous club for making some injuries worse.

Last edited:
Sounds like nurofen. They are known for causing stomach ulcers.

Pretty sure plopper played a yr with his shoulder popping out as well as Neil Craig wanted him available for finals and didn't send him in for surgery. Would make sense as to why he got the stomach ulcers if he was taking excessive amounts of nurofen to play and getting dehydrated and training etc. Would be pretty dirty if i were him.

Or naproxen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then google all of the dozens of other studies that show the same result.
Google "NSAIDs afib flutter"
Is there any risk with an afib flutter?

I would question the effectiveness of nurofen anyway on gameday. If you have just split the webbing in your finger or broken your little finger or pinky toe, a couple of nurofen isn't going to touch that.

Yet cortisone is allowed to allow players to play through a gf with a broken leg. Doesn't make much sense the More you look into it.

Is there no addiction or drowsiness associated with cortisone? That's the only reason I can think of why it's allowed. And painkillers stronger than anti inflamatories are banned.

Is there any risk with an afib flutter?

I would question the effectiveness of nurofen anyway on gameday. If you have just split the webbing in your finger or broken your little finger or pinky toe, a couple of nurofen isn't going to touch that.

Yet cortisone is allowed to allow players to play through a gf with a broken leg. Doesn't make much sense the More you look into it.

Is there no addiction or drowsiness associated with cortisone? That's the only reason I can think of why it's allowed. And painkillers stronger than anti inflamatories are banned.
You don't want to develop an arrhythmia, trust me.
It's a risk for stroke, you have to attend hospital, take drugs to control it.

Avoid at all cost.

Was taking a lot of Ibuprofen until I read that it can cause heart issues. Switched to aspirin. Also thinking that it's probably banned but some players who suffer from anxiety may benefit from a couple of codeines pre game. Or a valium.

Also remember half our 2003 grand final team was pumped to the gills with one thing or another.

Then google all of the dozens of other studies that show the same result.
Google "NSAIDs afib flutter"
I read some studies and disagree that there is evidence that NSAIDs cause AF.

The studies conclude that NSAID use is associated with patients developing AF, but there no evidence or suggestion that they are the cause. If you look at the patient demographics in the studies you see that patients taking NSAIDs are more likely to have alcohol dependence, renal failure, electrolyte disturbances, pre-existing heart disease, take b-blockers, etc. These are all causative factors in the development of AF.

In other words patients who are at higher risk of developing AF are also the ones who will likely take NSAIDs for their other medical issues. So there is a correlation between NSAIDs and AF, but not causation.

The fact that people who take NSAIDs are more likely to have AF does not mean that the drug itself causes the AF.

One day CBD oil will completely take over the market for pain killers, it's already permitted by USADA in places that cannabis is legal, so WADA will likely follow in the future after more legalization happens.

I was previously taking codeine, ibuprofen and prescription muscle relaxers daily for knee and shoulder problems.

Have been prescribed medicinal cannabis and now take a small amount of CBD oil in the morning and some before bed, works like a miracle compared to the concoction I used before.

It gives no psychoactive effect so can be used while playing sports.

The makers of painkillers should be terrified about the future of cannabis, their business is doomed.

Do you think the players know? Or even care?
They might get handed two white, two blue and a yellow pill and think nothing of it
Since the whole dons thing players tend to be more scrupulous. Watched a vfl player throw stuff in the bin because he was told to take something but couldn’t answer what it was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope this is true but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they aren't. I reckon a lot of them just count on their club being more scrupulous.
I think it’s both. ASADA seem to be resting more too which probably makes everyone think about it more
Apparently a northern league divvy 3 club got tested last year
Casey got tested 3 times (once immediately after the grand final loss)

I read some studies and disagree that there is evidence that NSAIDs cause AF.

The studies conclude that NSAID use is associated with patients developing AF, but there no evidence or suggestion that they are the cause. If you look at the patient demographics in the studies you see that patients taking NSAIDs are more likely to have alcohol dependence, renal failure, electrolyte disturbances, pre-existing heart disease, take b-blockers, etc. These are all causative factors in the development of AF.

In other words patients who are at higher risk of developing AF are also the ones who will likely take NSAIDs for their other medical issues. So there is a correlation between NSAIDs and AF, but not causation.

The fact that people who take NSAIDs are more likely to have AF does not mean that the drug itself causes the AF.
I had my Atrial Flutter in 2014, and had all the tests done etc, and when I mentioned to the cardiologist that I had been taking NSAIDs daily for quite some time he ordered me to stop taking them immediately and not to take them again. He explained that there are now widespread concern about their use and heart conditions. He also said they have seen alot of people who were addicted to nurofen plus now presenting with heart arrhythmias as a result.
There has been pushes to make NSAIDs prescription only due to these concerns.

I had my Atrial Flutter in 2014, and had all the tests done etc, and when I mentioned to the cardiologist that I had been taking NSAIDs daily for quite some time he ordered me to stop taking them immediately and not to take them again. He explained that there are now widespread concern about their use and heart conditions. He also said they have seen alot of people who were addicted to nurofen plus now presenting with heart arrhythmias as a result.
There has been pushes to make NSAIDs prescription only due to these concerns.
How many of these were you taking to have this happen?..

Yeah, that's a great combo used by medical profession for years and now being sold as nuromol for 5 times the price of a box of 50 paracetamol/ibuprofen at coles!
The best bit is if you take nuromol you get suboptimal analgesia, because the active components have different half-lives and dosing regimes.

No player would take aspirin. It has pathetic analgesic properties.
No player would take opioid/tramadol/ketamine/anything else which is going to dull the reflexes and almost certainly be banned.
Aspirin is an anticoagulant. No one would be taking an anticoagulant and then going out to play a contact sport would they? Would not be good if you copped a big hit and started bleeding internally.

Aspirin is an anticoagulant. No one would be taking an anticoagulant and then going out to play a contact sport would they? Would not be good if you copped a big hit and started bleeding internally.
Read this thread to see people who take aspirin instead of ibuprofen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back