What painkillers are the players taking in game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised by this. If it’s anything like cycling who follow WADA, I’m surprised Tramadol isn’t as widely abused as it is in cycling.

Jack Bobrige’s Australian road race championship win was won on a diet of dexies and tramadol the whole day.
Shouldn't be to surprising for freo fans, as thats what crowley got done for.
Ive tried the ritalin and tramadol combo before after a rolled ankle, yeah you go all day but it didn't send me to beast mode like other combos

Shouldn't be to surprising for freo fans, as thats what crowley got done for.
Ive tried the ritalin and tramadol combo before after a rolled ankle, yeah you go all day but it didn't send me to beast mode like other combos
Doesn’t make you go into beast mode but keeps the heart rate, adrenaline and dopamine up and numbs the pain for a long time. Actually, that’s probably the reason why it isn’t allowed in the AFL, too many players could develop an addiction/dependency.

I’m surprised by this. If it’s anything like cycling who follow WADA, I’m surprised Tramadol isn’t as widely abused as it is in cycling.

Jack Bobrige’s Australian road race championship win was won on a diet of dexies and tramadol the whole day.

Surely both are banned in comp. Surely.

Wow. Dexies would have to be?
Depends on the rider’s medical history and team doctor. If someone is prescribed a medication because of a diagnosis then they are granted a Therapeutic Use Exemption, which means they can test positive for an otherwise banned substance (within tolerances). Imagine telling someone they can’t take their medicine for ADHD and participate in a professional sport.

Depends on the rider’s medical history and team doctor. If someone is prescribed a medication because of a diagnosis then they are granted a Therapeutic Use Exemption, which means they can test positive for an otherwise banned substance (within tolerances). Imagine telling someone they can’t take their medicine for ADHD and participate in a professional sport.

Yeah, I understand someone with ADHD will get TUE. Doesn't effect them like it does to non-ADHD impacted people either. In saying so, dodgy doctors aren't too hard to find. I do WADA tested sport and ritalin would be of great benefit to performance on comp day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont they always talk about them getting a jab out back and coming back on?

I always assumed something pretty savage, not available to the average person

Dont they always talk about them getting a jab out back and coming back on?

I always assumed something pretty savage, not available to the average person
The 'jab' is Cortisone, been used for decades. Fast acting anti inflammatory and accessible to everyone from a local GP. commonly used for arthritis.

I think it would have to be the basic over-the-counter medications such as panadol/nurofen/aspirin. Anything stronger or codeine/opiate-based can cause a drowsiness effect and would affect the player's abilities on-field.

the-joke-you-31838472.png
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/p...gRp7lxNvh1hSir3Pvj3aF1yb_lUy5Avg=w495-h297-nc

Surely both are banned in comp. Surely.
I would have thought tramadol would have to be banned in afl??

And the cortisone injections makes sense. Never had one myself. Heard they can hurt like a bitch. I assume they allow you to play through pain and not feel it, which is the same reason doc larking said they don't allow opiates. Strange.

No player would take aspirin. It has pathetic analgesic properties.
No player would take opioid/tramadol/ketamine/anything else which is going to dull the reflexes and almost certainly be banned.

They're all just popping ibuprofen and paracetamol like the rest of us... Or maybe the club doctors are being a bit sneaky and handing out celebrex/other.

I do wonder if local anaesthesia agents are banned? I broke my foot in a semi-final and blocked it for the Grannie and it worked well. However, that will require someone with experience or a good grasp of google.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back