What painkillers are the players taking in game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised by this. If it’s anything like cycling who follow WADA, I’m surprised Tramadol isn’t as widely abused as it is in cycling.

Jack Bobrige’s Australian road race championship win was won on a diet of dexies and tramadol the whole day.
Many professional Cyclists and i am talking the absolute elite are flat out fiends ... amazed at what they put through their bodies .

Depends on the rider’s medical history and team doctor. If someone is prescribed a medication because of a diagnosis then they are granted a Therapeutic Use Exemption, which means they can test positive for an otherwise banned substance (within tolerances). Imagine telling someone they can’t take their medicine for ADHD and participate in a professional sport.
Amazing isn't it that half of the worlds best swimmers and cyclists have both Asthma and ADHD .

Great question and would be fascinating to get a sports doctors oponion.
There's a higher risk of muscle haematomas ("corkies") and brain bleeds from contact sports, but most bleeding should stop quickly and shouldn't really be an issue. This is minimised if you use a COX-2 inhibitor (an expensive NSAID requiring a prescription; which none of these athletes would qualify for on PBS...) as I suspect most clubs do.

There's a higher risk of muscle haematomas ("corkies") and brain bleeds from contact sports, but most bleeding should stop quickly and shouldn't really be an issue. This is minimised if you use a COX-2 inhibitor (an expensive NSAID requiring a prescription; which none of these athletes would qualify for on PBS...) as I suspect most clubs do.
Im assuming thats one of the reasons they favor paracetamol over nsaids game day.

Aspirin is used to thin the blood and would find it hard to believe a Dr would prescribe it for regular use to a footballer.
I realise that, thats why with some of the answers i thought a medical opinion would be interesting, woopedaz provided an interesting one. For what its worth at the moment im taking 200mg asprin a day and i cut myself shaving a few days ago and it took over an hour to stop the bleeding. Such a pain in the bum.

I realise that, thats why with some of the answers i thought a medical opinion would be interesting, woopedaz provided an interesting one. For what its worth at the moment im taking 200mg asprin a day and i cut myself shaving a few days ago and it took over an hour to stop the bleeding. Such a pain in the bum.
Likewise, bump into a door handle and I bruise like I have been hit by a bus.

I think a few posters are overstating the side effects of simple analgesics eg. bleeding, arrhythmias, ulcers etc.
The side effects are often in long-term use, and rarely do you see such serious complications in the immediate short-term use. To keep things in perspective, children can use short courses of nurofen and often cope well with such use.

Tbh I doubt the players know.
Won’t dob in the player I got the info from but even post-Essendon the players have no idea what they’re taking.
Said player has a handful of injections every week and doesn’t know what any of them are (he gets told but doesn’t pay attention as he doesn’t understand what any of it means).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The risk is always the stomach ulcers like Porplyzia was hospitalised for from sustained use.
Same used to happen in the army. Guys used to pop ibuprofen like it was going out of fashion, had some terrible gut issues.

I’m surprised by this. If it’s anything like cycling who follow WADA, I’m surprised Tramadol isn’t as widely abused as it is in cycling.

Jack Bobrige’s Australian road race championship win was won on a diet of dexies and tramadol the whole day.

You’re surprised “Doc” Larkin’s doesn’t know as much about medicine as his title suggests?

Out of curiosity why would tramadol be used?

Out of curiosity why would tramadol be used?
Numbs/dulls the pain of muscle soreness so can push harder longer (codeine plus paracetamol is a really effective combination). Mixed with an amphetamine is just about the best performance enhancer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back