List Mgmt. What to do with 8 more games to decide on list cuts

Remove this Banner Ad

Point is with Langdon is that he is contracted for 2023. I think Naish needs to be given a go with some hardened bodies around him before you cut him. I hear you on the contested game but the sides we had when he played were awful. He fits better into the mode of taking the game on from wide and his decision making compared to Petch who just craps his pants and makes terrible decisions.

The problems with Naish are comprehensive. He's small, extremely outside and makes bad decisions by foot.

I think the main problem with Winder is that he's actually better further up the ground. He's not a forward pocket or stay at home / pressure half forward.

He's an outside mid who can play as a high half forward. But he needs to be played in that role at Wafl level and get more involved. Id be giving him 1 more year.

I think the main problem with Winder is that he's actually better further up the ground. He's not a forward pocket or stay at home / pressure half forward.

He's an outside mid who can play as a high half forward. But he needs to be played in that role at Wafl level and get more involved. Id be giving him 1 more year.
Agree and I would give him games ahead of Petruccelle to see if he can make it.

If he does stay, you would want Jamie Cripps to mentor him and make him do all the running that Cripps does. It is not a matter of ability - he needs a run of being injury free and a dedicated summer to build the tank.

Agree and I would give him games ahead of Petruccelle to see if he can make it.

If he does stay, you would want Jamie Cripps to mentor him and make him do all the running that Cripps does. It is not a matter of ability - he needs a run of being injury free and a dedicated summer to build the tank.

Absolutely. The question then becomes does he want it enough. He actually has good footy IQ and skills. If Luke Edwards can come back from injury as well and continue his development we will have nailed that draft considering the picks we had.

I think we can't cut more than 2 rucks (else we are left with the unreliable Nic Nat and 2 youngsters in Jack Williams and CJ). Dixon and Bailey Williams are probably fighting it out as a slightly more experienced backup option and I would lean towards BW as having more potential

Last edited:
Winder was played in the midfield last year at WAFL level before his knee injury. I feel he will end up like another Mal Karps if we keep playing him as a forward. Let him play his role ( can say the same for SPS) and if they dominates that role let them get and AFL gig.

Players i would cut/trade:

Rotham - Might have some currency as he is treaded. Doesn't do enough for me and i would rather we played Foley in his role.
Nelson - Honest Trier but another club might look at him for some depth but i cant see a role for him with Cole to come back.
Strats - Tossed up between he and Dixon. Dixon is more versatile and has more talent which will get better with more games.
Naish - Is handy depth but with Hough playing the wing role well i cant see him getting much a look.
Joyce - We can not afford a constantly injured player on the list who has a history of it

Retire:

Hurn - Would love him to stick around as a coach,
JK - has said he wants to hang the boots up. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Freo as a coach.

Winder was played in the midfield last year at WAFL level before his knee injury. I feel he will end up like another Mal Karps if we keep playing him as a forward. Let him play his role ( can say the same for SPS) and if they dominates that role let them get and AFL gig.

Players i would cut/trade:

Rotham - Might have some currency as he is treaded. Doesn't do enough for me and i would rather we played Foley in his role.
Nelson - Honest Trier but another club might look at him for some depth but i cant see a role for him with Cole to come back.
Strats - Tossed up between he and Dixon. Dixon is more versatile and has more talent which will get better with more games.
Naish - Is handy depth but with Hough playing the wing role well i cant see him getting much a look.
Joyce - We can not afford a constantly injured player on the list who has a history of it

Retire:

Hurn - Would love him to stick around as a coach,
JK - has said he wants to hang the boots up. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Freo as a coach.
Not sure about Hurn retiring, he’s still playing well and is not as physically cooked as JK. I don’t think it should be assumed that he will retire. He isn’t saying that he will quit at the end of this season.

I am not so upbeat on CJ. Plays well around the ground but is not competitive in ruck contests because of his size.
I don’t know what Strnadica has done wrong, he was okay in his first two AFL games and is far more competitive size wise in ruck contests than CJ.

Retire: JK, Hurn
Delist: Joyce, Strnadica, Dixon, Naish, Trew, Winder, Witherden, Nelson
Trade: Petruccelle, Rotham
Others possibly on the chopping block, but would keep: Foley, L Edwards

West coast and playing players in their natural positions.

Id like to see that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Simpson's press conference today he seemed to stop himself half way through and answer when talking about the possibility of Baker coming over from Richmond. Made it sound like a few players may be traded off the list as well.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

As a junior when was moved into centre he would always win a clearance Tim Kelly early wafl comparisons are similar

I think Witherden and Nelson could be victims of unfortunate contract timing.

They're not the first I'd cut but Langdon has an extra year and we don't often pay players out.

I like the idea of Trew being included as it gives us a chance to see if he can grasp it at the AFL level. What I do not want is to see him as a hff - I want him in for centre clearances and stoppages

Off the bench on ball rotation.

The kid needs to be using his limited endurance and fitness level playing where he knows what to do, and just do it.

Agree, do not play him on a flank running around chasing the play or his opponent. He won't have the tank to do that.

Short bursts on ball helping with rotations. :thumbsu:

Nelson was contracted to reach RFA status. Feel the club will be ok letting him go, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round compo pick if that.

If someone wants him and has the cap space i'd be negotiating a pick swap in their favour to increase his wage so we at least get a 3rd round compo. I really only want us using 4 main picks in this draft and 38+39 could be of use getting that pick sub 30.

Or you keep those picks because I still firmly believe the suns will get Brisbanes first rounder in an exchange of picks and as it stands now I only see Ashcroft and Fletcher being tied up before then which will likely bring those 2 picks 3 slots forward in the available draft pool.

It would also put us in conversation with Brisbane for that pick as well. They can only use as many draft picks as they have available list spaces for. I can't see them winning the premiership but if they lose a grand final and that pick is 17. 17 for 38+39 and ports second would likely get it done as brisbane already have pick 35. Would give them a 600 point benefit out of only 3 picks which they could then likely ports for another another one two in 30's to make sure they have enough points for Ashcroft and Fletcher. Fletcher is one of the few who I have considered to have his stocks rise in the champs so far and may now see a top 25 bid. Even if they finish 4th It's still heavily beneficial to Brissie but also beneficial to us.

In real world terms the players you look at picking early third round are very much the same as around 50-60. So although it seems significant overs it would be the best deal brisbane get offered and would give us at worst 3 picks inside the top 21 of the open draft pool. Also allows a lot more shuffling when it comes to first, second round picks and sliders.

Interesting to hear Darling say in his milestone prep that he has noted the standards have lifted recently. Simmo had a hissy fit when the Cornholer called out the Eagles for slipping standards.

So if Jack believes they have lifted, then we can take it as read that Simmo needed a jolt and that standards had indeed slipped.

Trew likely went a long way too earning another contract today. Didn’t look out of place today. Could have been cleaner at times but it’s his first game at the MCG against a high pressure team like Richmond. We have seen how hard it is even for experienced senior players to step back into AFL & have a immediate impact so can’t hold not being as sharp against him.

If we are making a choice between delisting Trew or Witherdon/Nelson/Langdon I’d be choosing Trew. We know what we are getting with those 3 but I’d rather we take a punt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back