What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing video games in the 80’s was an afternoon at Timezone pumping 20 cent pieces into 1942 or waiting 2 hours for Summer Games to load on the Commodore 64

Playing video games in the 80’s was an afternoon at Timezone pumping 20 cent pieces into 1942 or waiting 2 hours for Summer Games to load on the Commodore 64
I'm not sure what is the most absurd thing in this ad, the waterside in there just because or anyone actually using the C64 for anything other than playing games.

Just like their re-make of Young Talent Time.

CH10 did have a hit with another Sunday night show a few years after IAK - Comedy Company.

Local made sketch comedy appears to be completely non-existent these days....the last one I can remember was Skithouse. Prior to that we had Fast Forward, Full Frontal, The Late Show, Jimeoin, Australia You're Standing In It, and The Big Gig.
D Generation too. So much good comedy back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

one of my memories was visiting these slops troughs as a kid

lots of atari with others. lots of sega saturn on my own. went through a recent phase of collecting some saturn games, as shite as they are.
still looking to get hold of gex.
playing footy in s**t underage teams.

the original iron chef

and of course

sam raimi's brother in this episode

D Generation too. So much good comedy back then.
The Late Show FTW.

Rob Sitch was the king of impersonation. His Yasser Arafat still kills me.

I'm not sure what is the most absurd thing in this ad, the waterside in there just because or anyone actually using the C64 for anything other than playing games.

I remembre that solar system game which i believe i had

visible_solar_system_02.png

Also had this which provided hours of familiy friendly entertainment

_96529129_bbc_atari.jpg

I remember getting a Hanimex computer game (Pong) in 1978 as a 6 year old.

I thought it was the most marvellous piece of technology in the history of the world!

We got a Dick Smith computer game console in 1982 for Xmas where you could play tennis, baseball, soccer and basketball and it was the same s**t.

You just had a white marker that you could control that went up and down to hit the ball, there was also a race car game where you could go sideways.

It was terrible but we didn't know any better at the time so we thought it was amazing.

I remember being at the 1978 I think Electronic show at the old perth entertainment centre where they introduced the first Space Invaders game.

As a 13yo it was fricken awesome

Hey Bigfooty,

I am trying to get a rough idea of daily life as an adult in the 80s/90s/00s.
Today I woke up, went gym, had breakfast, and have been watching YouTube videos for the past half hour. Now I'm posting online.
I am wondering, what would I, as a 30-something year old, be doing on a Saturday if this was 1994 or something?

I was born in 1991, so I have fond memories of the late 90s, but my most distinct memories are from the 00s, and I was a kid, so it was mainly just school and mucking around with friends.

I just want to know what your average daily life was like? What your Saturdays were like?
I don't really care that a pint was cheaper or that there was less security at the airport. I want the boring stuff.
1990's I'm pining for live music of the 1980's to see that I was a kid in, but it no longer around so make do wirh Noiseworks if they still around in mid 90's. I'd rather time travel to 80's so I was able to see a Cold Chisel, AC/DC, Midnight Oil or The Angels in concert at a pub. But those times no longer around so live music scene is kind of over for most part but I would still go see Cosmic Psychos at the pubs in St.Kilda or a band like Fireballs in a pub in Richmond of Fizroy. It was tough period to find good live music. Nightcliubs were also kind of dead to me as the choof choof music time had arrived by now so you could no longer be able to talk with mates or girlfriends in nightclubs so social talking was at a party at someone's house rather than nightclubs. If not with girlfriend would be waking up at home or friend's place to sober up watching Rage and falling back to sleep to properly wake up later around midday Sunday, If it Saturday morning hopefully off to the footy at Princes Park to watch Carlton play an actual home match and see a quarter or half of the reserves match before the seniors play. If it Sunday probably watching us play Brisbane Bears live on channel 7 from the Gabba or Adelaide Crows from Football Park or West Coast Eagles from Subiaco or Sydney from SCG.
If it summer probably playing cricket or watching it on channel nine or attending a one dayer at the MCG. Play Indoor cricket one night a week.
Desktop computer probably playing Civilisation for four or more hours when not with girlfriend, mates or studying or working. If still have old Commodore 64 computer load a disk of cricket game or soccer game and play that. Otherwise home entertainment is turn the tv on and watch something live on tv or something recorded on the VCR when was out. If I was not home to see the Saturday night replay on channel 7 between 6-30 pm and 8-30 pm I will have it recorded on VHS tape to catch up with in winter or the cricket too im summer. If it not sport I recorded it will be some documentary I set it for VCR to record during the week where find the times it on from the the Green Guide in Thursday's Age newspaper. Movies mostly from some hired video tapes from Video Ezy or Blockbuster video stores. Borrowing 3 to 5 videeos for a week or weekend is fairly common thing to do a few times a month. If not done that, probably gone out to the cinema at Knox City or Chadstone. My favourites from 90's I saw would be Pulp Fiction, Cape Fear, Reservoir Dogs, Shawshank Redemption and Fire Walk With Me. It was a great decade to goto the cinemas. Drive In's at Croydon probably was closed down by now so it only cinema's now or video store for movies.

Now the I wake up at odd hours and will turn laptop on if no one else up and put on Kayo or some streaming service for other stuff. Barely watch tv now and no longer have stuff recorded to watch. That replaced with browsing youtube to watch something that interests me or read or reply to some post like this here...and cannot be bothered editing posts normally.... There was no one dayer to attend at MCG this weekend or watch on tv so been a cricket free weekend which a shame at this time of summer when normally still have it on in some form whether a Test or ODI.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back