What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they were on Sunday afternoons on Triple J back in the 90s, I don't recall them being on for 6 hours but they were on for most of the afternoon.

They also did the commentary for all the AFL and NRL GFs back then as well as the State of Origin games, they were better than the tv commentators.
Their Olympic commentary is some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard

Depends which version

There is the extended gin version we called cooncan - where you continue to make runs of 4 or sets of 3 until you have no cards left

Or 500 where you have No trumps , left and right bowers etc

Is that similar to euchre? My grandma taught us that back in the day, I recall playing with the old blokes down the cricket club as a 10 year old. Don't think they were keen for me to participate early but once I took a few tricks I was accepted ha ha

Depends which version

There is the extended gin version we called cooncan - where you continue to make runs of 4 or sets of 3 until you have no cards left

Or 500 where you have No trumps , left and right bowers etc
You lost me at cooncan and bowers. Somehow remember hearing gin and canasta but do not think I ever learnt that. Think vague recall of my grandfather still alive and something from that generation.

Playing 500 at lunchtime practically defined my working life during the 90's.

And dear lord was the cheating rife!
  • Six Spades/C/D/H == I have the ace of Spades/C/D/H
  • 6 No Trumps == I have multiple aces
  • 6 Noeys == I have the bird
  • Half a dozen S/C/D/Hearts == I have nothing but am hanging around to call closed misère next time round
  • 7 Spades/C/D/H == I have the right bower
  • Ahhh, 7 Spades/C/D/H == I have the left bower
Add to that I learned how to thumb the bird in a shuffle so I could deal it into the kitty every time.
Disgraceful. Do not understand it but I can sense it dodgy as.

John Blackman and Bruce Mansfield on Melbourne breakfast radio, very funny.
Harry Bietzel and Bill Jacobs pre-game on 3AW each Saturday around lunchtime before all the matches for the round started at 2pm Saturday.
Friday night read back part of The Herald to read Alf Brown preview of the round and all the important match-ups. Maybe I only got one season of Alf Brown before he retired but do remember the name was massive as a little kid.

I think this highlights the stark difference between 1993 and 2023

Foa_L6hXgAEHsEf
Foa_L6lX0AAqcne

How many people are actively present when watching concerts or sports ?

''so what did you think about LeBron getting the record''

' yeah awesome , here I have it on my phone'

' so how did he get the points ''

' here its on my phone'

Foa_L6hXgAEHsEf
Foa_L6lX0AAqcne

' here its on my phone'
Love this. Smartphones at events like this and concerts absolutely s**t me. How would you know it even happened if not for the 25,000 other arseholes recording the same thing.

The 80s was probably the best time to grow up or experience as a young adult

Early 80s Melbourne was orange trams, EON FM, city square, Bourke St mall, the Myer cafeteria, Young and Jacksons, the city loop.

You could hang out the open doors of the older blue trains or red rattlers or ride on the outside of a packed W class tram on the way to a suburban VFL ground. Trying to meet up somewhere outside with someone could be an absolute headf***!

The mid 80s cruising around in my XA Falcon hardtop with Van Halen and ZZ Top blasting out the open windows :tearsofjoy: Listening to music on the go with a walkman or riding a pushbike with a ghetto blaster on your shoulder. Big stereo stacks were very popular often with reel to reel tape decks. Technics was my favourite brand back then. I had a full Technics system from turntable down to cassette deck plus reel to reel. Nearly every house I visited would have a big stereo.

The nightlife in Melbourne exploded throughout the 80s especially when the 7am licenses came in around 1984. Before that the clubs closed at 3am except for one club which had an ancient 24 hour license it was called the Hardware club. I could never get into that place but I remember rocking out at clubs like the Chevron, Chasers, Billboard, Inflation, Underground, Subterrain etc etc. Warehouse and Metro were two legendary venues that opened opened in the late 80s and many GenX Melburnians will have memories of those joints. The clubs were pumping all week until 7am from the mid 80s onwards. King St and Chapel St in those days were also heaving all night but they are in a sad state now. King St had hot dog stands at night - that and souvlakis were the go to food for eating on the go. Today snack packs and kebabs rule the night.

Also plenty of other choice for late night early morning feeds with places like Stalactites, Topolinos and Fast Eddys open 24/7. I often used to grab a feed at my local Denny's in Campbellfield after a big night out usually around 4-5am and a massive night out at Chevron or Chasers in the warmer months out would often end up in pizza and beers at Topolinos after sunrise :tearsofjoy:

Massive technological advances also occurred during the decade. We got digital media (CD), personal computers, laptops, mobile phones, ATMs, most cars were fuel injected with onboard computers apparently even the internet was born in 1983. None of these had hit the market prior to 1980. Having a mobile phone was a status symbol back then. I remember one obnoxious campaigner strutting all around a restaurant talking as loud as possible making sure everyone knew he was on a mobile :tearsofjoy:

All in all a great decade to live through. I doubt I would be able to relive it though like everyone else just too addicted to the internet and smartphone

Foa_L6hXgAEHsEf
Foa_L6lX0AAqcne

' here its on my phone'

Love this. Smartphones at events like this and concerts absolutely s**t me. How would you know it even happened if not for the 25,000 other arseholes recording the same thing.

Also check out this photo

518537507.0.jpg

No one had their phones out recording either

Foa_L6hXgAEHsEf
Foa_L6lX0AAqcne

' here its on my phone'

22 professional cameras are not enough..I have to have the moment recorded with shaky hands and poor audio quality on my phone as well

22 professional cameras are not enough..I have to have the moment recorded with shaky hands and poor audio quality on my phone as well

and recorded in portrait mode not landscape mode

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and recorded in portrait mode not landscape mode
And block the view of those behind you. Friend took his young son to see the Queen during her last visit to Brisbane, as she walked alongside the river. As she drew near a forest of arms holding phones blocked the young fellow’s view, even being held up by dad ☹️

And block the view of those behind you. Friend took his young son to see the Queen during her last visit to Brisbane, as she walked alongside the river. As she drew near a forest of arms holding phones blocked the young fellow’s view, even being held up by dad ☹️
I remember my gran and one of her old lady mates took me and my brother to see Charles and Di.

Foa_L6hXgAEHsEf
Foa_L6lX0AAqcne

' here its on my phone'
Why do u reckon the folk in salt lake city that day werent holding up their phones?

There was no social media so no one gave a * about making sure everyone knew you were there
I was on the phone to my dad a week or so after the 99 WC, he asked me what I'd thought of it all and there was a bit of a stunned silence when I told him I'd manage to jag tickets for the semi and the final.

Why do u reckon the folk in salt lake city that day werent holding up their phones?
Listen I know your not an idiot but I went on to make the commentary about the experience.

Ask those people in Salt Lake City about the shot and 80% would be able to close their eyes and describe Jordans movements and the feelings in the crowd etc

The people at LeBrons game would struggle to tell you if you took their phones off them

I was on the phone to my dad a week or so after the 99 WC, he asked me what I'd thought of it all and there was a bit of a stunned silence when I told him I'd manage to jag tickets for the semi and the final.

I got tickets to the 99 RWC semi final at Twickenham between Australia and South Africa later that year which was just as epic going into extra time.

No phone photos or videos back then to show I was there, just my ticket which is either buried away in storage somewhere or most likely lost altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back