What will a Scott Morrison government look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but we had a DISPROPORTIONATE response by Labor to the GFC because we were going through a massive mining boom at the time.

Labor introduced a response more suited to Greece than to Australia.

Saving a couple 0.x% of economic growth in a quarter or two in 2009 has meant a whole decade of paying off Labor's debt with a massive interest bill.

Some terrible opinions you got there. And if you're that worried about Labor's debt (165b), you would be shouting from the rooftops about the Coalition's debt (550b+ and growing).

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Treasurer Wayne Swan ... saved the country. Australia was the only developed nation not to go into recession during the global financial crisis but the ignoble response from Opposition leaders Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott (who soon replaced him) to the stimulus and borrowing required sowed the seeds for the difficult times the country now faces.

~ Pádraig Collins, Irish economics writer, 2017

The great merit of the (Labor) government was to adopt a strongly counter-cyclical fiscal policy stance. The fiscal expansion that started in 2008 was the right move at the right time … There are simply no empirical foundations to the statement that Rudd and Gillard mismanaged the economy. In fact, the data tell exactly the opposite story.

~ Fabrizio Carmignani, United Nations economist, 2013

‘Australia has navigated the global recession brilliantly ... there's no other developed country that's done half as well. If you made a list of the developed countries that have done well in this recession, Australia is at the top.’

~ Anirvan Banerji, Economic Cycle Research Institute, New York, 2009

Kevin Rudd ... put in place one of the best-designed Keynesian stimulus packages of any country in the world. He realized that it was important to act early, with money that would be spent quickly, but that there was a risk that the crisis would not be over soon. So the first part of the stimulus was cash grants, followed by investments, which would take longer to put into place. Rudd’s stimulus worked.’
~ Professor Joseph Stiglitz, Colombia University, Nobel Prize winner

I think the Australian response to the crisis was well-judged and highly successful. It’s depressing, though understandable, that the Australian public doesn’t realise what a good job was done and what a bullet we dodged.”
~ Professor John Quiggin, University of Queensland’s School of Economics

‘The effectiveness of our stimulus was due to both the size of its measures and the speed with which they were introduced. The targeting of households and schools (on which work can be undertaken rapidly) also contributed to the speed of its effect. So it seems the design of the stimulus is critical.’

~ Christopher Stone, research director, Centre for Policy Development, 2013

‘The Australian Treasury estimates that without the stimulus packages the unemployment rate would have been forecast to peak at 10 per cent rather than 8½ per cent. With the stimulus, there are estimated to be up to 210,000 more people with jobs.’

~ Dr Steven Kennedy, Treasury General Manager, 2009

Australia's high level of political stability and governance is maintained, which supports the country's attractive business climate ... Australia has remained one of the strongest performing economies in the AAA universe since the global financial crisis began’.

~ Fitch credit rating agency, London and New York, 2013.

upset labor supporter here.
What part of Robert's career suggests that he's even capable of organising a beer at a piss up? This is the bloke who thought the Chinese government handed out fake Rolexs and that's before we even start on questions surrounding him.

This is a bloke that has already resigned from the Ministry once, charged taxpayers $2000 a month for his home internet, was bribed by Chinese investors with fake Rolexes, and got investigated by ASIC because he listed his parents as directors of his company without bothering to tell them. Somehow spent 17,000 on personalised letterhead stationery in the final weeks of the financial year. He's a thief.

Surely any thinking person would be upset by this appointment?

You do realise the Coalition aren't a football team, right?

No upset person who recognises a portfolio that needs a person with compassion and integrity has been handed to the dodgiest person in parliament who just so happens to be best mates with the prime minister and has never done anything to suggest he deserves promotion.
In fact he’s been demoted.
Some things are more important then cheer leading your preferred political party, this is one of them.

Why didnt Labor go after this in their list of attacks?

Or is it because they would have had the exact same delays with their policies ?
They did. Josh and Scomo denied it would be an issue prior to the election. Once the election result was known, guess what they admitted it may be an issue!

Some terrible opinions you got there. And if you're that worried about Labor's debt (165b), you would be shouting from the rooftops about the Coalition's debt (550b+ and growing).

a bunch of left wing commentators agreed with a massive and unneeded stimulus package. Stop the presses! We didn't need to spend the money, Rudd just wanted to paint the town red with money. I think the school halls were a good idea but didn't hit in anywhere near the same time frame required.

a bunch of left wing commentators agreed with a massive and unneeded stimulus package. Stop the presses! We didn't need to spend the money, Rudd just wanted to paint the town red with money. I think the school halls were a good idea but didn't hit in anywhere near the same time frame required.

Yeah wow, you get a point for trying I guess?

Yeah wow, you get a point for trying I guess?

None of them mentioned the fact that our banks were late to the subprime market and made tiny losses with no bank bailout and we had China in the middle of its biggest spendathon ever ?

There were many reasons why we made it through mostly unscathed.

Rudd also screwed up offering unlimited bank deposit guarantees for the big banks meaning there was a massive run on the smaller banks. It was complete ignorance to not see that coming.

Last edited:
Its a relief to get Back to normal...Disunity, Coal, brown people.

Resources Minister backs new coal plant as Labor reconsiders climate policy

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...considers-climate-policy-20190528-p51s31.html

'No regrets': New multicultural affairs minister proud of campaign against 'African gangs'

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...gn-against-african-gangs-20190528-p51s0c.html

Ah you mean jobs and community safety, stuff normal people actually care about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might have won even more votes if they went hard on it ey?

Well they did. lol. Swinging behind coal in Queensland is exactly why they won, ha.

As for you saying "brown people" - hey, community safety may not work in the hipster smelly suburbs of central Melbourne, but the Coalition has talked non stop about security for 6 years...and guess what, they got a swing to them this election. ha.

No upset person who recognises a portfolio that needs a person with compassion and integrity has been handed to the dodgiest person in parliament who just so happens to be best mates with the prime minister and has never done anything to suggest he deserves promotion.
In fact he’s been demoted.
Some things are more important then cheer leading your preferred political party, this is one of them.
It is tuning in to the people who want to fly

What's this Jim Molan thing? I've never heard of the guy. I don't understand what the issue is. Is he big in NSW? Do Sydneysiders know him and what this issue is about? I yawn everytime I hear the words Jim Molan.

What's this Jim Molan thing? I've never heard of the guy. I don't understand what the issue is. Is he big in NSW? Do Sydneysiders know him and what this issue is about? I yawn everytime I hear the words Jim Molan.
He’s basically the nsw version of Fraser Anning.
Also known as the Butcher of Falujah

Dunno on that. First party room/Cabinet meeting is going to have Joyce/Christensen/Canavan etc going "THE ELECTION PROVED WE WON COZ PEOPLE WANT COAL!" and then the Vics and New South types led by Frydenberg will get up and go "THE ELECTION PROVED IF WE KEEP GOING COAL WE WILL LOSE MORE SEATS LIKE WARRINGAH"

That tension isn't resolved and will just get worse. The few smart ones left like Sinodinos know that next time round Labor won't offer a franking credits target, not a dud leader and that climate will be even further up the list. He knows this wasn't some stunning victory - that in fact everything had to go right for them to stand still. It did, but that won't happen again. Will Clive give them $60m in free advertising again? Hmmmm.

I reckon the whole show will fall apart pretty quickly as those tensions rise again - the battle for the soul of the right side of politics hasn't been settled by this election, far from it, if anything, the divide has been brought in relief more clearly.

They might get majority of one or two, but the standard of candidate was pretty low, won't be too surprised if they lose a couple early on (Dutton via s22, Gladys Liu dodgier than a three bob note etc etc). Minority then involves being hostage to Zali Steggall etc. Then there's the Senate, which will do them no favours.

Add to that the local and global economy slowing, then the impact of the inevitable events dear boy, events - anything from Iran v US turning hot and oil prices doing a 1973 again to Murdoch carking it and the institutional investors breaking up the empire and philosophy and thus their most effective attack dogs - and it is really hard to see how they can come again in 2022.

Rather than a Howard in 2004 over-reach leading to people going NAAAAH I suspect these three years will be more like the dying days of the Major government, or Fraser in the early 80s. - gridlock, scandal, economic downturn.

If Labor go Jim Chalmers they are already halfway to winning a handy majority. Those Queensland seats will swing hard either way, they aren't baked in Lib safe by any stretch.
And Tory barrackers keep carrying on like it was a landslide.

This is a bloke that has already resigned from the Ministry once, charged taxpayers $2000 a month for his home internet, was bribed by Chinese investors with fake Rolexes, and got investigated by ASIC because he listed his parents as directors of his company without bothering to tell them. Somehow spent 17,000 on personalised letterhead stationery in the final weeks of the financial year. He's a thief.

Surely any thinking person would be upset by this appointment?

You do realise the Coalition aren't a football team, right?
I doubt he/she does. All we've had from Tory supporters since the election is barracking.

I think they now dimly realise that winning an election with no policies and mass ministerial resignations, not to mention economic forecasts already proven to be fairyland stuff, has actually complicated their lives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back