What would it take for you to stop watching AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Up until the 1950's and the European competitions coming into to play the old English first division was very successful with the home and away format and it's a fair way to judge who is the best team. For me home and away is the best way to go, but it wont happen, as in my opinion the AFL likes to manipulate the comp for obvious reasons.
they had the fa cup, relegation and promotion. it still wasn't enough, the league cup was introduced in 1960, Manu united entered European compeition in 1956 , there were soon three european competitions, then the premier league formed. but yes it is a fair way to judge the best team over the season. not feasible in afl. even if we trimmed down to a 14 team league for most of them almost the entire season would just be playing it out with nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My interest has waned drastically in the past few years mainly to the continuous unnecessary rule changes and the rigged fixture.

I fear with those idiots Hocking and Auld in their respective roles, that in five years Australian Rules football at AFL level will be unbearable to watch.

Last edited:
As AFL is all that is left of the once great sport called Aussie rules I still watch my club, other games and all the crap which is the AFL I am well passed it.
They have ruined the sport with unnecessary rule changes. Not one rule change since the mid 90's maybe has made the game better in my opinion.

As most have said if my team was merged or no longer participating in the AFL, I wouldnt follow AFL much at all.

Over the last three years I have found myself watching fewer neutral games, I enjoy watching the top 6 go for it, whoever that may be at the time but a match between the bottom 4 at the middle or end of the year (yeah I know Carlton) doesn't interest me the slightest.

As most have said if my team was merged or no longer participating in the AFL, I wouldnt follow AFL much at all.

Over the last three years I have found myself watching fewer neutral games, I enjoy watching the top 6 go for it, whoever that may be at the time but a match between the bottom 4 at the middle or end of the year (yeah I know Carlton) doesn't interest me the slightest.
I know what you mean. I rarely watch a neutral game now and I will only stomach a bad or one-sided match for 10 minutes before I turn the TV over or off.

The AFL has killed the great game of Aussie Rules.

I'm surprised how much I don't miss footy during covid...!

Probably because the realist in me:
a) Prioritises serious s**t over the frivolous...f### I sound boring...! Nah, it's just that when people die or I see a starving kid in Africa, I just can't get worked up over a game of footy! I love footy, but...and this crisis has really brought things home...
b) The season has been f###ed up. If the Hawks managed to pull it off, yeah, it's a serious flag apparently and everyone's in the same boat, but there's still that stigma...there's a "what's the point" feel to it all...
c) Other reasons, life s**t - divorced, covid cancelled my 50th, and then they go and take footy away, so I'm in a complete phase of detachment...!

It'll be ok, kept my house and my daughter loves me, and in a year I won't care - Storming Area 51 is the name for our delayed massive mother of all f###ing birthdays celebration (there's a few of us who missed milestones this year and we're all getting together), water will be well and truly under the bridge, and footy will be back for real...

i was trying to think of an answer outside of my club dying as others mentioned, none really outside of obvious cheating i guess that went unpunished, but the afl would control it so it seemed dealt with.

I have to admit ive lost a lot of love for the game, not sure its just getting into mid 30s and missing childhood, or having kids realising plenty is more important

i just feel like its become a negative game (yes my team has been a very negative side at times), the media is about scandal not reporting,. its just not as good of a product and its like an impression of something great. Maybe that feeling will change

but that stops me loving the game as much, i love and feel loyal to my club, but yeah I even find myself less one eyed about them and more likely to be annoyed

i also know sports can play a massive role in society but sometimes i wish it would just be about the footy not every single political social issues, i realise that probably sounds a bit hick, but i dont need afl,house trying to preach to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back