What Would U Like See Against the Dees On Monday 8th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree BD. I thought he was really good too. Seems to be getting a lot more confidence and his reading of the play and attack on the contest in the air has improved immensely.
Gets involved at ground level too with improved composure.

Surpised by his speed too. Closed up multiple opponents on the lead, getting a fist in late.

He’s coming along nicely!!
His speed and athletic ability was why we persist it’s all about improving his smarts and today I thought he was good

Bruce, Naughton and English doesn’t work.

And we still lack a dangerous small forward.

Having a legit ruckman helps so much, but beyond martins inclusion, it was more of the same:

Poor inside 50 entries
Lack of dangerous small forward
Poor output from our tall forwards
Massive numbers for our mids and half backs but not effective enough going forward.

Melbourne badly undermanned. That’s like playing us without Bont, Macrae and libba.

Pick the right team Beveridge.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’ve been playing that tune for a while now, can’t say I’m optimistic it’ll happen.

Mids will play small forward roles, our tall forwards will continue to lead into the same 10 square metres, numerous goals will be kicked over the back and our sat shot kicking will be atrocious - but our midfield numbers and talent will paint over that enough times until early September rolls around.

Bevo deserves way more latitude than most coaches because of the miraculous flag he delivered, but it really doesn’t feel like anything much has changed.

We’ll know fairly early imo. First month is the pies, west coast, north and Brisbane - all in Victoria. A good team is 3-1 out of that, or 2-2 with a couple of close losses. Anything worse would probably see this year play out like the past couple of years at best.

Bruce, Naughton and English doesn’t work.

And we still lack a dangerous small forward.

Having a legit ruckman helps so much, but beyond martins inclusion, it was more of the same:

Poor inside 50 entries
Lack of dangerous small forward
Poor output from our tall forwards
Massive numbers for our mids and half backs but not effective enough going forward.

Melbourne badly undermanned. That’s like playing us without Bont, Macrae and libba.

And that’s your review of a 39 point win?

My 4 year old heckled Bruce from just over the fence and yelled at him to get in front and get involved.

Seemed to work, he listened
What an indictment of our coaching staff!

Not only does a 4 yo provide better advice but the players would rather take that advice than listen to the coaches.

Get Doggy Jr down to VUWO!

May and Lever are both top class defenders, they usually give our tall forwards a lesson. We beat Melbourne by getting on top of their mids & hammering at the Lever/May dam wall until it breaks. Though with greater goal kicking accuracy today we could have won by ten + goals.

Liked the look of Scott, certainly not a liability. Tough, effective, good kick for goal.

Martin is a revelation. Did not expect him to be that effective, is very good even when he loses the tap.

like the midfield depth and the idea of Smith and Treloar spreading and playing a bit of wing.

I really liked Buku. I disagree that he is a long way off. Like any player, he will take a few AFL games to settle in but I would back him in to become a Morris type. Can play much taller than his listed size but mobile enough to stay with smalls and mediums.

I love that we have the following depth to come in for Crozier if need be: JJ, Richards, Doc, Buku, Butler, and Wood once fit. Not like for like options but all add something special on the half back.

Agree with Fronk that we need to play a true attacking small. Can people confirm that Cav and Weightman were good again today in the VFL?

Our forward line is still in shambles. Has been half a decade since it has had any continuity and structure. Fix that and we are hard to beat even if we leak a little down back. Bruce and Naughton seem to be incompatible

Gardner was good tonight but I don’t think we can judge his development until we face a better offense.

Most importantly. Bevo’s message was distinctly different in the presser. Appears to have traded in the constant references to being on a journey of evolution to now stating that everyone has to take their game to the next level. This makes me very happy. For the last 4 years he seemed to be very happy to sit back and not push. He seems to think it’s time.

Against a side missing most of their engine room and key forwards, and who even when they’re playing are a middling side.

There were more than enough things to smile at today - Bont, Daniel, Lipinski stepping up, Williams growing into an excellent half back etc. - but also more than a few worrying things. It’s only preseason but it’s disheartening to see the same old weaknesses - easy goals from the opposition, poor forward entries, worse set shot kicking.

I’m often a bit glass half-empty with performances like this, but anyone completely happy with today isn’t grading us on a curve that leads to top four.

What a difference a Ruck makes

Now, move Naughton Back - his forward instincts are poor and he has no idea how to protect himself up there. Bevo can either have an All Australian Defender, who can at a pinch be switched in key games to snatch a win or a promising but always injured key Forward.

Tighten up that defence and together with our strong mids we will control games even agains the best of them. Bruce, English, Schache, JUH, and a resting Bont gives us sufficient avenues to goal. Make it so.

I’d like to go into round one with this forward line:

West Bruce Vandermeer
McNeil English/Martin Wallis

Hunter/Bont/Dunks rolling through there.

Wont happen but I can only hope. We can’t play Naughts, Bruce and English all forward. Look at the second half today, that summed it up.

I don't want to read too much into a preseason match but flag or bust this year

Defence I liked. Hard to get a read on it with an undersized and undermanned opposition but just of this I think we look better than last year. Gardner was fairly good. A few mistakes, but some good things and was the only player on the field that never went to the bench which is worth some kudos. Daniel is continuing his form from last year and Williams is going to be even better which will bring him up to elite. Scott was alright, I'd still rather him forward but he did well to push up from the back half to get a couple of goals. Dale I really like as a defender. Not perfect but had the second most intercepts for us plus pushed hard to get a couple of goals himself. I've become a big fan of Khamis and surprised to see he can play on bigger opponents so well. I hope we see him in the AFL before long. Crozier was back to his best, hate to see him injured.

Midfield was great. I've got to eat my words on my talk about the usefulness of rucks because Martin was huge. Bont in prime form (although I hate to point out he had a similar BOG game last preseason). Macrae has gone to another level. Lipinski has demanded a spot in the side and covered the ground really well. Dunks was a good defensive bull but still hasn't got back to his 2019 top tier game. Libba is still an amazing player. Last year soured my opinion on Smith and it's not changing this year. He just doesn't tackle or pressure enough and his ball use isn't good enough to justify that. Hopefully he grows into the wing role because with his tools he should be a great offensive player.

Forward line was interesting. It's worth noting that only 4 goals game from forwards. Even then McNeil spent some time on the wing. How often are our half backs going to be able to push up that hard, and our mids kick so many goals? Even with that in mind I've liked the changes we've made to it his offseason. A lot of focus on players that can cover the ground. When the inevitable turnover happens they impede the clean transition whereas last year most of our forwards seem to give up when the ball started going the other way. Hunter's use was poor but 27 touches at half forward is super impressive. I think it's easier to clean up his disposal than get a better user like Richards to try and find more of it there. McNeil is a great find and needs to play. West I've loved for a while and I'm glad it seems like he's in the side. Disappointing to see Bruce play deep when we had Naughton there, he got in the way a lot, and disappointing to see we kicked it to Bruce 18 times and Naughton only 4 times even considering Naughts only played a half. I want Bruce pushing up the ground because he's a fairly good lead, while Naughton is such a good 1v1 without having to move so I think he looks best in the goalsquare.

I think those lamenting our forward line need to take a look around the league to see how forward play works at AFL level these days.

Seriously, every team struggles to score cleanly most of the time. All sides are just so much better at defending now with the various systems they employ. There is a much greater emphasis put on stopping the other team from scoring now (rather than just trying to out-score them in bygone eras).

If you believe what you read on here, our forward line is the worst in the league by a mile. Somehow still good for 6th most points scored in the league last year though. Are we perfect? No way, but I think if you take a step back you'll actually realise that we're not too bad. It's actually really bloody hard to score in modern footy.

We've just scored 106 points on 31 scoring shots. That is a pretty big score, you'd probably win 95% of your games with that score. With slightly better accuracy it's even more impressive. That is with our best two forwards missing half the game (Naughts) or having a rare dud (Wally) while up against probably one of the best KPD duos in the league in Lever and May. Those two alone saved a handful of goals.

I just don't know how anyone's takeaway from today is that our attack sucks. If anything it was a major positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being able to watch Bruce and Naughton live it’s very obvious that they start way too close together at stoppages it was always within 20m. So when the balls in general play it’s no surprise they’re going for the same ball. It seems a pretty simple solution to put one of them deeper forward.

The ground for some reason was quite wet, which meant the polish wasn’t there as you would normally expect at Marvel.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

• No injuries
  • A competitive ruck division against Gawn (whichever way we decide to do it)
  • McNeil to announce that he's the bolter from the 2020 drafts, not just for the Dogs but across the whole AFL
  • A defensive combo that doesn't have us quaking every time the ball heads towards our D50
  • Swift and clean transitions that play to the advantage of our forwards. Not scrambled goals, each coming after 20 entries into the F50
  • Dunkley to show that he means to give his best for the Dogs in 2021
  • Jong to show composure when in possession
REPORT CARD AGAINST MY WISH LIST

• No injuries
FAIL - 3 injuries ... the main concern is Crozier's AC by the sound of it.

• A competitive ruck division against Gawn (whichever way we decide to do it)
PASS - it sounds like Gawn was still pretty dominant but at least we weren't cringeworthy

• McNeil to announce that he's the bolter from the 2020 drafts, not just for the Dogs but across the whole AFL
PASS - well maybe not the bolter across all clubs (I was being slightly TIC there) but he certainly looks like a find.

• A defensive combo that doesn't have us quaking every time the ball heads towards our D50
PASS - despite Crozier's injury and the usual surprise half back selections

• Swift and clean transitions that play to the advantage of our forwards. Not scrambled goals, each coming after 20 entries into the F50
??? - dunno, I didn't get to see the whole game, just a few highlights. Second half maybe.

• Dunkley to show that he means to give his best for the Dogs in 2021
PASS - surely it's hard to complain about that performance

• Jong to show composure when in possession
FAIL - not picked

Overall I'm happy with that.

Yes. Against an opposition without their starting midfield, I’m looking at whether we’ve improved our deficiencies from last year.

1. Ruck - yes. Well done dogs. This is big.

2. Dangerous small forward - no

3. Delivery inside 50 - no

4. Effective/functioning tall forwards - no

5. Intercept marking key defender - no

Our mids and half backs will overwhelm a lot of teams, but there’s still glaring holes that need addressing.

For those worrying about dunks taking two centre bounces - pretty sure it was when Stef was done for the day/English had done a lot of work too and he didn’t even go up for the tap. Nothing to see here.

Some random player thoughts.

Williams - Could potentially be heading to the next level. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the AA team, or squad.
Bruce - Looked okay but looks a lot better when Naughton isn’t around which is a concern.
Dale - Liked his game but we’re essentially replacing JJ’s role with Dale (similar strengths and weaknesses). Not sure if he’s any better but I’ll give it a few weeks.
West, VDM & McNeil - Will be interesting if we see all three in the round 1 team. All have toughness, pressure and pace which should compliment our taller brigade. Would give us a different look up forward.
Wallis - Didn’t notice him at all. He was essentially our full forward last year, so interesting to see where he sits in the plans this year.
Lipinski - Potential breakout year ahead. I’ve always thought he could reach a Mitch Duncan level and he looks a lot more powerful now.
Dunkley - Was superb. I hope he doesn’t become a whipping boy on here after last off season.
Smith - Seems pegged for a permanent wing role (which I agree with). Saw minimal centre bounce time, with Treloar still to come back.
Bont, Macrae, Libba - Superb as usual, will still be our strength.
Martin - I hope we pull him back to only play 15 games this year to keep him fresh but looks fit and will be a great acquisition.
English - Looks great too. Hopefully we’ll see some better ruckwork given he won’t be spent when he heads in there, and is very dangerous forward.
Gardner - He was okay yesterday and seems to be growing. I’ll back him in for the first month. We appear to be trying to keep it simple with him but he has a tendency of the Liam Jones (coming through with the big spoil no awareness of what coverage we already have).
Hunter - Little bit concerned for him to be honest. If we aren’t playing him on the wing his value diminishes. He isn’t good enough around goals to be a full time forward. Not sure if that’s an indication of his role this year or just testing the waters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back