What would your reaction be if the Crows announced they are rebuilding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
So there is a lot of chatter that we aren't good enough to win the flag becuase of talent.

So hypothetically how would you react to the club giving it up this season to focus on 2020.

I assume this would involve;

This would involve not resigning players with trade value.
Playing all the young guys for the rest of the season.
Seeking to trade out anyone who didnt want to be part of the rebuild
Signing the coach for another 3 years.
Reviewing all assistant coaches.

Would you approve of this strategy? Is there something else you would do?

Would you even rock up to matches given the we arent likely to win games?

Policy on the run is policy underdone.

A rebuild should be planned years out and list management, draft selections, team selections etc be worked around this.

Can't just launch into one midseason.

Get to years end and announce it. Cut the dead wood and trade some mid-tier guys to position yourself better in the draft.

It'll hurt the bottom line for a while so we won't do it, but a good one doesn't have to take years to work, especially with our ability to get decent returns from lower picks.

Policy on the run is policy underdone.

A rebuild should be planned years out and list management, draft selections, team selections etc be worked around this.

Can't just launch into one midseason.
Lets assume they come to the conclusion over the last 6 months given our elite standards.

As i said, hypothetical. I said now simply because of the current rumbling on this site.

Lets assume they come to the conclusion over the last 6 months given our elite standards.

As i said, hypothetical. I said now simply because of the current rumbling on this site.
This was our year to have a crack. It wasn't time to rebuild. Two sixth placed finishes, lots of players in their prime. Needed to off-load picks and trade in players, add a free agent. Go all in for 2017-18.

We didn't.

Typical conservative Adelaide. We've chosen a middling strategy yet again. Now won't be great because we didn't strengthen our team... but tomorrow won't be terrible because we kept all our picks.

This was our year to have a crack. It wasn't time to rebuild. Two sixth placed finishes, lots of players in their prime. Needed to off-load picks and trade in players, add a free agent. Go all in for 2017-18.

We didn't.

Typical conservative Adelaide. We've chosen a middling strategy yet again. Now won't be great because we didn't strengthen our team... but tomorrow won't be terrible because we kept all our picks.
Free agency allows teams to rebuild faster so in keeping our picks and trading out some mid rangers and packaging picks we can do it well and quickly.

But as you rightly say we won't do that.

We didn't.

So not rebuild, pay as much as needed to get a bloke like Martin or a bloke like Gibbs?

If they said it now, it'd be crazy, the season isn't lost yet.

The only thing that needs rebuilding is the coaching panel. With the right coach the current list can challenge.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So not rebuild, pay as much as needed to get a bloke like Martin or a bloke like Gibbs?
We're a year late so have stuffed it up and missed our chance but need to make a call either way.

Either trade out picks, trade in a ready-made player, splurge on a free agent and go all in for 2018 (which is what I would like us to do)

OR

Don't bring in any players, trade out Smith/Lynch/Hartigan/whoever for picks, secure McGovern/Lever on big money deals that we could now afford, then actually play the picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they said it now, it'd be crazy, the season isn't lost yet.

The only thing that needs rebuilding is the coaching panel. With the right coach the current list can challenge.

If you read a large proportion of posts on here (me included) we've called this season another missed opportunity.

I'm not convinced we can we it which makes me wonder what's the point of showing up again in the finals only to embarrass ourselves again.

Edit. Apologies ive been a bit inconsistent here

The other main reason as to why we would do it now is because we have atleast 2 players who will have trade value, sobthe reasons for them not signing would be transparent. How that would impact their value during trade week will be a question.

Last edited:
If you read a large proportion of posts on here (me included) we've called this season another missed opportunity.

I'm not convinced we can we it which makes me wonder what's the point of showing up again in the finals only to embarrass ourselves again.

Edit. Apologies ive been a bit inconsistent here

The other main reason as to why we would do it now is because we have atleast 2 players who will have trade value, sobthe reasons for them not signing would be transparent. How that would impact their value during trade week will be a question.
Should add I'm as pessimistic as 95% of our board that we won't be progressing very far into the finals this year, if we even make them.

We're a year late so have stuffed it up and missed our chance but need to make a call either way.

Either trade out picks, trade in a ready-made player, splurge on a free agent and go all in for 2018 (which is what I would like us to do)

OR

Don't bring in any players, trade out Smith/Lynch/Hartigan/whoever for picks, secure McGovern/Lever on big money deals that we could now afford, then actually play the picks
That's an interesting viewpoint.

I was thinking of moving Lever and Mcgovern given their perceived value, actually get into the top 5 in the draft.

I can't see how they would be keen to stay on if we arent going to be contending.

This. To rebuild now with the quality of players we have in their prime would be an absolute disaster. Move heaven an earth to improve our midfield, replace Pyke with a tough, no bullshit innovative coach and we absolutely should be challenging for the flag for a few years. Like we should be this year.

What do you mean IF ???

We won't be missing finals.

Agreed. We will make the finals, then teams like Geelong and Melbourne will be more than keen to come up against us.
Whats that overused cliche about the definition of insanity? Don and his assistants keep on backing in their plan even though we get beaten every time good teams bring finals like intensity, tag Sloane, slow our spread and put numbers behind the ball.

In the next five years the dominant clubs will be GWS, Melbourne, Carlton, Western Bulldogs and possibly Brisbane. The one thing they all have in common is lots of top 10 and even top 5 draft picks.
Thats what both Hawthorn and Geelong did as well.

If we cannot do anything in 2017 or 2018 it is time to rebuild for sure. But you know what, we still have a really good chance this year if the players toughen up, go out their and play with the same hunger that they played with early in the season and most of last season. Sloane has been tagged all season, it is some the others who have faded back when it comes to decision making especially when moving the ball quickly. We have the team to do it, we just need the belief to overcome doubts to do it.

if we do rebuild anytime in the near future, i would like to see a north/hawthorn style rebuild while remaining genuinely competitive. last thing we need is to become a basket case.

replace Pyke with a tough, no bullshit innovative coach

Look, let's try having the same head coach for more than five minutes, and clean out all the assistants instead. Good compromise?

Look, let's try having the same head coach for more than five minutes, and clean out all the assistants instead. Good compromise?

No, not whilst he keeps saying things like 'nothing wrong with our game plan, just need to execute'.

Start the rebuild off field.

Clear out anyone who was there pre-Pyke, give him a war chest to recruit/poach desired assistants and off field personnel. If he intends on bringing in a coach who made a career at the AFC then he should have to put forward a full business case to show they're actually an industry leader and not just one of the boys.

Ask Pyke how long he needs before he can genuinely see us challenging for a flag. If he says we're challenging now then it's Prelim or bust. Given our start to the season it's home prelim or bust and home prelim should translate to Grand Final appearance.

If he says full rebuild then that rebuild must have us challenging for the eight within 3 years and must have a direction and purpose. For mine, I would be approaching the next 3 drafts with the intention of drafting the best available SA talent regardless of position. If the best available SA talent is only a top 30 at best then we take them with our second rounder, if they're the number one player in the draft then we find a way to acquire them.

Players who won't be there in 5 years time quite frankly must be moved on. I'd be transitioning ROB in as our starting ruck and floating Jenkins and Brouch simply to see what they may attract. Nothing lost in shopping around.

Our current strategy has us devoid of success and has bred a culture of mediocrity that permeates throughout our current playing group. Near enough is good enough for the vast majority of players, fans and media personalities and quite simply it's sickening.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back