Autopsy What's the deal with the Western Bulldogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

That a bit like how the “Dees” were gifted an OJ Simpson style not guilty verdict for their tanking??

Melbourne supporters. 🙄

You lot send the AFL some flowers for letting you off the hook for the tanking?

Gifting you Paul Roos as coach?

Gifting you Peter Jackson as CEO?

Gifting you 495960 priority picks for being utterly pathetic year in year out?

Melbourne, most pathetic, spoon fed club in the league.

And you’ve got the gall to gob off at other clubs for supposedly getting gifts.

Your club only exists because the AFL spoon fed you a bunch of gifts - and because Hawthorn voted no in 1996 - make sure you send them some flowers for that too.
This thread is about the WB and why they aren’t up to it. You want to start a thread about Melbourne? Start one. There’s a heap of people that agree with the notion that you were advantaged significantly in the GF. It’s obvious, it’s there, you were gifted. Your free kick for count has been the highest in the league for years, your players literally work on this (to play for free kicks). Weightman the grub stupidly admitted it in an interview. Not to mention your coach is an absolute sook on this front.

The best thing for the game was you getting flogged senseless in the GF last year, showing without your flopping being rewarded your team is a bunch of overrated hacks.

Wow - bitter much?? 😂😂😂😂

Guess what’s in the records books under 2016 Premiers 🔴⚪🔵

Why don’t you quietly go flog yourself off watching Q3 of last years grand final rather than worrying about something truely magnificent that occurred 6 years ago ✔️
Is that the best you’ve got? Watch a quarter where you won but lost 3 others and a GF by 74 points? Yeah, I’ll watch the 3rd quarter.

Sixth* most flags... Dons, Blues, Pies, Tiges, Hawks....what’s with the Melbourne fans with a chip on their shoulder here. Arguably the most irrelevant side of the past 50 years.
Well compared to Footscray it’s a no brainer. Melbourne supporters aren’t saying they are as successful as Carlton, Essendon (who are both pathetic at the moment and have been for 20 years now), Collingwood, Richmond, or Hawthorn.

2015 - 6th
2016 - 7th (Premiers)
2017 - 10th
2018 - 13th
2019 - 7th
2020 - 7th
2021 - 5th (Grand Finalists)
2022 - Miss Finals (likely 9th-10th)

What is the direction of this club? They've been the definition of a rollercoaster club since appointing Beveridge. Looking at their list, they appear to have one of the strongest cores of players in the competition, and yet they've never been consistent enough to finish in the top 4.

Is Beveridge really the right man for the job? Bulldogs fans seem to have turned on him.
Looks to me like the very definition of consistency with two very good Septembers thrown in.

They have a excellent fleet of mids, Aaron Naughton and not much else - that's basically what's happening.

The umpires gave them the flag in 2016, and they gave them a few finals last year. They’re really not great. Never have been.
2016 GF is the only GF where a team was lucky with umpiring decisions. It was actually bizarre, and I've watched it a few times.

Edit: I actually wanted the bulldogs to win in 16, but the umpiring pissed me off. Swans were robbed.

2016 GF is the only GF where a team was lucky with umpiring decisions. It was actually bizarre, and I've watched it a few times.

Edit: I actually wanted the bulldogs to win in 16, but the umpiring pissed me off. Swans were robbed.
It was up there with our extremely lucky run in the 1994 Prelim.

The harping on about free kicks rubbish is just embarrassing, if you want people to know about your lack of intelligence and critical thinking there are easier channels for that.
Critical thinking? Yeah that’s not my definition of it. You don’t get to insult peoples intelligence because you don’t like their opinions when they respond directly to the facts. The facts are there in free kick for statistics and evidenced by the AFL acknowledging the umpires ‘made some errors’ after the GF.

Critical thinking? Yeah that’s not my definition of it. You don’t get to insult peoples intelligence because you don’t like their opinions when they respond directly to the facts. The facts are there in free kick for statistics and evidenced by the AFL acknowledging the umpires ‘made some errors’ after the GF.
There's no significant correlation between earning more free kicks than and scoring more than your opponent, so why is it relevant to this thread? Not to mention that the Bulldogs have performed both well and poorly in seasons where they have earnt more free kicks than their opponents, so again what's the point here? Complete red herring. And incredibly boring.

2015 - 6th
2016 - 7th (Premiers)
2017 - 10th
2018 - 13th
2019 - 7th
2020 - 7th
2021 - 5th (Grand Finalists)
2022 - Miss Finals (likely 9th-10th)

What is the direction of this club? They've been the definition of a rollercoaster club since appointing Beveridge. Looking at their list, they appear to have one of the strongest cores of players in the competition, and yet they've never been consistent enough to finish in the top 4.

Is Beveridge really the right man for the job? Bulldogs fans seem to have turned on him.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: is Beveridge the right man for the job ?

cmon Kane,the games about winning flags and making GF's in the least,by last count he's made 2 and won 1.( 8 seasons )
hes in rare air my frend.
theyre playing off in 2 of 3 GF's '23-'25 , winning at least 1, take it to the bank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, they won a flag exploiting the rules ( good luck to them, smart) Still a very good list that will keep them thereabouts
Correct. And that’s the issue. Their supporters think they’re good but it’s due to the players exploiting the rules as you say, they’re just not a good side but know how to stay in games by theatrical means that the umpires buy into.

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: is Beveridge the right man for the job ?

cmon Kane,the games about winning flags and making GF's in the least,by last count he's made 2 and won 1.( 8 seasons )
hes in rare air my frend.
theyre playing off in 2 of 3 GF's '23-'25 , winning at least 1, take it to the bank
How did this hold up for Worsfold and Mark Williams?

Looks to me like the very definition of consistency with two very good Septembers thrown in.

They have a excellent fleet of mids, Aaron Naughton and not much else - that's basically what's happening.
Looks to me you don't understand the very definition of consistency at all.

Looks to me you don't understand the very definition of consistency at all.
Five of those seasons they have finished within the same three spots on the ladder. Apart from that one year where they finished thirteenth, they have hardly bottomed out.

Compare to Sydney for example, who in that time have finished anywhere from top to 16th.

Top 2 midfield with bottom 2 KPP + Naughton = somewhere in the middle plus a bump above average due to 1 gun KPP has them in the bottom half of the 8/just missing out. The 13th in 2018 probably a bit of an outlier but my recollection they had guys like Billy Gowers playing KPF etc.

Midfield is lazy and inconsistent, game plan is a bit stale, List depth is poor all 3 can be fixed just need to do it

Bevo is odd. I actually think he might be a very good coach in some ways - given that their list is pretty unbalanced at the moment I thought it was a decent achievement to get them to a GF last year. I’m not sure whether he is reliant on good strategies or getting an emotional response behind a hot run though.

His selection might be a bit too quirky? Hard to say with a team that needs some more depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back