Movie What's the last movie you saw? (2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What's the last movie you saw?

Mysterious Skin really was the coming out party for JGL. A really thought provoking film.

On the "Big Lebowski" I also didn't really like this film.

At the moment I have two Scorsese flicks i've been meaning to watch in "The Age of Innocence" and "After Hours" should be good!

went to see the thing today as I am a big fan of JC's I wasn't expecting much but it was actually decent enough. nothing overly brilliant but solid.

Mysterious Skin really was the coming out party for JGL. A really thought provoking film.

On the "Big Lebowski" I also didn't really like this film.

At the moment I have two Scorsese flicks i've been meaning to watch in "The Age of Innocence" and "After Hours" should be good!

After Hours was one of my favourite movies in the 80s.
Possibly a situation many of us may have gone through, yet set in such an exaggerated fashion.
Set the era aside and it's still a great movie for mine. Thanks for the reminder as I'll watch it again. :thumbsu:

Thor (don't ask why)

Visually it was impressive, and i was somewhat surprised at the Aussie guys performance

Plot-wise like many of these movies, it was predictable and boring.

Also thought Natalie Portman in this movie was a strange fit. Good to look at, but she offered little.

Anyone seen the movie Terri? I have only just gotten into a heap of Indy films and they seem to develop the characters a whole lot more. This movie was no different, and although the story doesnt go to any great heights, you feel alot of emotion for Terri, Heather and even Principal Fitzpatrick.

I'm also a massive John C Reilly fan and have loved his performances in a heap of comedies but dare I say this is the best performance I've seen from him.

9/10

Watched Captain Team America Avengers 1.0

Was good! Looking forward to the sequel :)

Enter the Void

****ing Brilliant!

"Sensory overload" is an understatement. Definitely one for the psychonauts.

[youtube]1Mb3mssgPhw[/youtube]

Do. Not. Miss. It.

Seems like we're on a bit of an Afflek roll here.

The Killer Inside Me.

Casey Affleck plays one of the strangest characters I've seen for a fair while, a Texas deputy sheriff in the 50's with a penchant for bondage, sado masochism and murder.

This is one of the more interesting movies I've watched recently. For all the carnage created by the lead, it's done in a casual, almost offhand manner. The violence at times is pretty brutal, but in no way is it overly gratuitous like a lot of modern rubbish. (Think Once Were Warriors type realism.) Disturbing, but it doesn't dominate the movie. Casey Affleck does that with his great performance and I've got a fair bit of time for this guy as an actor.

The soundtrack is a beauty if you're into laid back country honky tonk and the occasional blues number with the placement of the score in certain scenes really adding to the feel of the weirdness and at times inexplicable behaviour from Affleck.

Jessica Alba playing a hooker who spends the whole movie rolling around in lingerie & Kate Hudson as the unknowing faithfull girlfriend equals more win.
Saw this a while ago. Thought it was treated harshly in the press re: the violence. Affleck makes a good lead but needs to not mumble so much, annoys me sometimes.

Get Low - 7/10. Interesting story about a local hermit who the local residents are afraid of. Wanders into town after 40 years in the wilderness, wanting a funeral for himself, which he will attend whilst alive. Robert Duval is good as the lead and Bill Murray is fantastic as the funeral director who is desperate for the money, as no one is dying is his town. Could have been better considering the interesting concept though.

Pollock - 7/10. Film about abstract artist Jackson Pollock, directed and led by Ed Harris. Really shows the ups and downs of Pollock's life, but sags a bit at times and lacks direction. Still very interesting.

Anyone seen the movie Terri? I have only just gotten into a heap of Indy films and they seem to develop the characters a whole lot more. This movie was no different, and although the story doesnt go to any great heights, you feel alot of emotion for Terri, Heather and even Principal Fitzpatrick.

I'm also a massive John C Reilly fan and have loved his performances in a heap of comedies but dare I say this is the best performance I've seen from him.

9/10
Saw the trailer and thought it looked good but it never got realised where I live. I suppose it's available on line?

Pollock - 7/10. Film about abstract artist Jackson Pollock, directed and led by Ed Harris. Really shows the ups and downs of Pollock's life, but sags a bit at times and lacks direction. Still very interesting.
Harris definitely lost a lot with the direction by giving so much to the character. Leaves us with a messy film but an excellent performance.

Enter the Void

****ing Brilliant!
"Sensory overload" is an understatement. Definitely one for the psychonauts.

Do. Not. Miss. It.

Gaspar Noe of Irreversible fame.
Haven't seen it yet, but did watch the movie doco "The Spirit Molecule" about DMT.
A bit of a commom theme in some movies mentioned here recently

Watched Stupid.Crazy.Love last night.

Was getting late so I intended to just watch 40 mins and watch the rest another day but got hooked, very well written dramedy that hits all the beats req'd to keep the audience emotionally involved through the duration.

Nice cast, quality acting, best movie in that genre I have seen for a little while.

Gaspar Noe of Irreversible fame.
Haven't seen it yet, but did watch the movie doco "The Spirit Molecule" about DMT.
A bit of a commom theme in some movies mentioned here recently

I hope folks don't construe this to be a drug movie.

It's about life, death, sex, altered states, tragedy, rebirth......everything.

Gaspar Noe is an amazing talent and a brave film maker.

The Kubrick influences are undeniable.

The visuals are amazing:

[youtube]_pdd8g1crmg[/youtube]

I can't recommend this movie highly enough. This is an important film. No "film buff" should miss it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't recommend this movie highly enough. This is an important film. No "film buff" should miss it.

I certainly will get to see it soon enough, but have many in front of it just now.

Just quietly, Lars Von Triers Melancholia has leaked.
Can't recommend or otherwise as I haven't seen it yet, but hope to make time tonight to do so.

Did anyone catch his attempt at humour discussing his views on Jews and Hitler, at the Cannes film festival?
Cringe factor of 10+ :eek:

Saw the trailer and thought it looked good but it never got realised where I live. I suppose it's available on line?

Yeah mate, it's also just been released on DVD in the States.

There's so much crap in Hollywood these days that heading out and spending 30$ on a new DVD doesnt really interest me so like GG, just download a crap load of them and watch them off the USB.

Have downloaded Enter The Void, among many others suggested recently, and will watch them soon as I ever get a chance to.

Thanks to all, btw, for recommending and discussing a ton of movies in the last bunch of weeks, have been greatly enjoying watching movies I'd totally never heard about and coming away from them very entertained (except for Insidious haha).

Has anyone seen Cedar Rapids?

If so, is it any good?

Just watched Without a Paddle for about the 5th time.

You either love it or hate it, personally i love it.

Has anyone seen Cedar Rapids?

If so, is it any good?

Has John C Reilly and Phil from the Hangover. It's good for quite a few chuckles but its nothing to ride home about. Check it out if you want some easy entertainment.

Thanks to all, btw, for recommending and discussing a ton of movies in the last bunch of weeks, have been greatly enjoying watching movies I'd totally never heard about and coming away from them very entertained (except for Insidious haha).
Heh.

Sorry about that one, GG.:eek:

Kirsten Dunst's uncomfortableness was palpable :D

I've seen peolpe dig a hole for themselves before but Lars went 12 feet under. Unbelievable stuff. :)

Decided to watch The Ledge tonight.
Premise was O.K. but it was chewing through cheese faster than my brain was ticking over.
Very forgettable experience.

Yeah mate, it's also just been released on DVD in the States.

There's so much crap in Hollywood these days that heading out and spending 30$ on a new DVD doesnt really interest me so like GG, just download a crap load of them and watch them off the USB.
Checked it out last night. Really good little film, perhaps lacking a bit of punch though. The guy playing Terri was fantastic, hopefully he loses some weight and we see some more of him. Really enjoyed the John C. Reilly character too.

Dancer in the Dark - Wasn't as depressing as I've heard. Not sure what I thought of it really.

Barney's Version - Hard to believe three beautiful women would want to marry Giamatti's character but I can look past that. Very well acted and scripted dramady but a little too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back