Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Furiosa (2024)

After Fury Road I was looking forward to watching this on the big screen, but it fell flat for me. There's no development of the Furiosa character. She starts off a tough child and becomes a tough woman, with very little to say for herself along the way. The backstory when she was a child went on way too long - a full hour before Taylor-Joy appears. I'm not sure if Hemsworth's character was meant to be funny or a serious villain, either way it didn't work. Some of the dialog was cheesy and the acting poor. There's not much of a plot, just a bunch of predictable action scenes strung together. There's a lot of obviously green screen stunts.

Overall, I was bored and was glad when it ended.

5/10

Furiosa - fun movie with some excellent action sequences ..it was good. But ..wasn’t as eye opening as Fury Road with just a hint of the more of the same. Hemsworth was ok but didn’t feel he was particularly intimidating.

Overall not sure we needed a prequel. Looking forward to Fury Road sequel though and return of Max. 7/10
Just saw it.

It was definitely good, but it has the problem most prequels have - you know most of what is going to happen.

The ending was a bit anticlimactic (the opposite of Fury Road) and the action more CGI heavy than Fury Road. Don’t think Taylor-Joy had a lot to work with. Very little dialogue and oddly not that much screen time.

Action was very good and it was tense and brutal. Enjoyable but not in the same class.

Also saw Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. That was also pretty good but not quite in the same league as it’s predecessors.

Furiosa (2024)

After Fury Road I was looking forward to watching this on the big screen, but it fell flat for me. There's no development of the Furiosa character. She starts off a tough child and becomes a tough woman, with very little to say for herself along the way. The backstory when she was a child went on way too long - a full hour before Taylor-Joy appears. I'm not sure if Hemsworth's character was meant to be funny or a serious villain, either way it didn't work. Some of the dialog was cheesy and the acting poor. There's not much of a plot, just a bunch of predictable action scenes strung together. There's a lot of obviously green screen stunts.

5/10
Yeah outside of the action it really is a pretty meh project.

Eh I loved furiosa.
Its 2hrs and billed as a "mad max saga" so I wasnt expecting the short sharp adrenaline rush of fury road but the story was well written, the set pieces spectacular (especially the stowaway scene) and hemsworth is hilariously camp. Taylor-joy was better than I expected too.
Saw a few american reviews saying Hemsworths character felt out of place amongst the seriousness of the mad max world, i found this baffling as all the original mad maxs' have elements of very ozzie humour to them.

Furiosa (2024)

5/10
While I understand your point, I don't think Mad Max has ever been renowned for its character development or themes. It's always been a revenge-fuelled car chase extravaganza and, in that respect, Furiosa felt very much like a Mad Max film. I really enjoyed it, rather than being one extended car chase like Fury Road was, there is a narrative there that propels the chase scenes. It's less inventive than Fury Road, given it's a prequel, using many of the more bananas ideas first introduced in Fury Road. And Anya Taylor-Joy feels a little wasted (not introduced for quite a while and then having very little to say). I though Hemsworth was brilliant, equal parts menacing and incompetent (a dangerous combination). He really chews the scenery, which I think is in keeping with the Mad Max world. Ultimately you are there for the action and I thought it was pretty great. 8.5/10

Expend4bles

(The Expendables 4)

Wow...

So you know what most people think of these movies but I quite like em, well, mainly the first two, and defend their quality against the uninspired masses? Well this one to me, must be what most people feel like watching the other ones. I shudder to think what they'd think watching this. This is bad.

Wooden acting, phone it in to cringe writing, unremarkable action, mediocre cast additions, significant cast subtractions, laughable effects. Most of the 'ensemble' cast is sidelined and this becomes another Jason Statham vehicle, as if we don't already have enough of those. This is pure b-grade cinema, b for bad, and not even so bad it's good.

The best thing is that Stallone apparently disliked it and is writing two more, saying he wasn't involved in the creative process for this one and he's gonna fix it up to end things. Hopefully the spirit and execution of the first two can be recovered before everyone gets even older.

3/10... some action is ok and there's some gore to chuckle at.

Expend4bles

(The Expendables 4)

Wow...

So you know what most people think of these movies but I quite like em, well, mainly the first two, and defend their quality against the uninspired masses? Well this one to me, must be what most people feel like watching the other ones. I shudder to think what they'd think watching this. This is bad.

Wooden acting, phone it in to cringe writing, unremarkable action, mediocre cast additions, significant cast subtractions, laughable effects. Most of the 'ensemble' cast is sidelined and this becomes another Jason Statham vehicle, as if we don't already have enough of those. This is pure b-grade cinema, b for bad, and not even so bad it's good.

The best thing is that Stallone apparently disliked it and is writing two more, saying he wasn't involved in the creative process for this one and he's gonna fix it up to end things. Hopefully the spirit and execution of the first two can be recovered before everyone gets even older.

3/10... some action is ok and there's some gore to chuckle at.
Two more movies? Having six Expendables movies and 10 Fast and Furious movies is surely the greatest warning signs of the parlous state of cinema.

While I understand your point, I don't think Mad Max has ever been renowned for its character development or themes. It's always been a revenge-fuelled car chase extravaganza and, in that respect, Furiosa felt very much like a Mad Max film. I really enjoyed it, rather than being one extended car chase like Fury Road was, there is a narrative there that propels the chase scenes. It's less inventive than Fury Road, given it's a prequel, using many of the more bananas ideas first introduced in Fury Road. And Anya Taylor-Joy feels a little wasted (not introduced for quite a while and then having very little to say). I though Hemsworth was brilliant, equal parts menacing and incompetent (a dangerous combination). He really chews the scenery, which I think is in keeping with the Mad Max world. Ultimately you are there for the action and I thought it was pretty great. 8.5/10

Fair enough. My son enjoyed it more than I did. 8.5/10 is a very high score. How did you rate Fury Road?

This was a back story of the Furiosa character so I would expect some development. She's kind of already awesome as a little girl then goes through some stuff and becomes awesome as a young woman. But you don't really get to know her because she doesn't speak much and her relationships with other characters are very limited.

I think it would have worked better if the structure was centred around adult Furiosa. Give her more dialog, especially after she's with Praetorian Jack. Then reveal her revenge motivations by their conversations, and flashbacks to when she was a child. Chuck in a bunch of action around that.

I was ok to overlook the silly stuff such as accurate sniper shots over the horizon, a little girl chewing through a petrol pipe, and someone operating the clutch on a motorbike with no left hand.

Two more movies? Having six Expendables movies and 10 Fast and Furious movies is surely the greatest warning signs of the parlous state of cinema.
I get it but also theres a market and its not really holding up other stuff.

I havent watched the most recent installments but i also take no issue with them existing.

Fair enough. My son enjoyed it more than I did. 8.5/10 is a very high score. How did you rate Fury Road?

This was a back story of the Furiosa character so I would expect some development. She's kind of already awesome as a little girl then goes through some stuff and becomes awesome as a young woman. But you don't really get to know her because she doesn't speak much and her relationships with other characters are very limited.

I think it would have worked better if the structure was centred around adult Furiosa. Give her more dialog, especially after she's with Praetorian Jack. Then reveal her revenge motivations by their conversations, and flashbacks to when she was a child. Chuck in a bunch of action around that.

I was ok to overlook the silly stuff such as accurate sniper shots over the horizon, a little girl chewing through a petrol pipe, and someone operating the clutch on a motorbike with no left hand.
Fury Road is like a 9/10 for me. Just bonkers, inventive, thrilling. There was a moment of adjustment because you were expecting a Max movie and it's actually a Furiosa movie with Max in the supporting role, but once that adjustment was made, it was great fun. I guess half a point seems close and I probably have Fury Road ahead by a solid point, so maybe upgrade Fury Road to 9.5 or downgrade Furiosa to 8.

I get it but also theres a market and its not really holding up other stuff.

I havent watched the most recent installments but i also take no issue with them existing.
In the 80s and 90s, the first one would have made it to cinema but after that, you'd expect the sequels to be direct to video releases. Or there to be no sequels as the actors went on to other ideas. I have no issue with the first one existing but the shrinking of cinema to the point that franchise names are about the only thing to draw people out is a little depressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hadn't seen the Creed movies, and as an avid fan of the Rewatchables podcast where they have done Creed twice (albeit the 2nd time was for a live Philly crowd) I got around the watching it Saturday night.

Absolutely loved it, hit all the right notes, pulled the heart strings and I thought Sly was sensational as the older wiser Rocky. Just so enjoyable
Enjoyed it so much i watched Creed 2 yesterday which I also really enjoyed, albeit not to the same level as the first.. but still

In the 80s and 90s, the first one would have made it to cinema but after that, you'd expect the sequels to be direct to video releases. Or there to be no sequels as the actors went on to other ideas. I have no issue with the first one existing but the shrinking of cinema to the point that franchise names are about the only thing to draw people out is a little depressing.
I dont know that the sequels beyond 2 are really even franchise "name" anymore. They are all direct to streaming i think and Stallone and Statham are probably the only remaining "names" too.

I dont know that the sequels beyond 2 are really even franchise "name" anymore. They are all direct to streaming i think and Stallone and Statham are probably the only remaining "names" too.
Part 3 had Glen Powell like a decade before he became a thing and was still skinny enough to play the part of computer nerd, or something.

It also had Schwarzenegger, Harrison Ford, Antonio Banderas, Mel Gibson, Kelsey Grammar... the failure of that film is quite remarkable.

That's ridiculous.

Rambo 2 and 3 were cinema hits.

Missing in Action 2 and 3 had cinema release.

American Ninja 2 had a cinema release.

Highlander 2 had a cinema release.

Conan the Destroyer and Red Sonya had cinema release.

Beastmaster 2 had a cinema release.

I could go on...

The suggestion that Expendables, which is even relatively speaking, more mainstream than most of the above, would have been straight to video after the first, is so incredibly ludicrous, it could be one of your worst takes ever.

Fury Road is like a 9/10 for me. Just bonkers, inventive, thrilling. There was a moment of adjustment because you were expecting a Max movie and it's actually a Furiosa movie with Max in the supporting role, but once that adjustment was made, it was great fun. I guess half a point seems close and I probably have Fury Road ahead by a solid point, so maybe upgrade Fury Road to 9.5 or downgrade Furiosa to 8.

Fury Road was a great mix of bonkers, inventive and thrilling action. Plus two great characters played by Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron.

Taylor-Joy does not have the screen presence of those actors, and the script does little to help her. Chris Hemsworth has presence but was confused behind his big beard.

I try to be objective with the ratings. If Fury Road is 9.5 then how do you rate the best movies of all time? 11 out 10?

I know it's a stupid question when you're talking about a movie like The Meg 2 but why do they do dumb shit like pretend someone could survive 25k feet down in the water if they just force water into their sinuses?

Furiosa - Meeting, let alone surpassing Fury Road would have been an insane achievement. So it's perfectly fine that Furiosa comes in a tier below that. The first act in particular feels distinctly different - I loved the little details in the major set-piece - before the film draws upon some familiar themes, but it's never boring. More CGI here, but it's doesn't ever look anything but stunning.

Suspect a third film in this desert wasteland would start to have diminishing returns, but wouldn't put it past Miller to reinvent the franchise again if he does. 8.5/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back