When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

There's no doubt with McGovern, Martin and Fisher (yet alone C. Curnow) they'd be a good attacking side, but would they win many more games?

I like that Teague is trying to take the game on but a backline with Weitering, Jones, Saad, Plowman and Williams shouldn't give up 13.16 in the wet to a Melbourne side that barely tried to move the ball aggressively and with Brown and Weideman unable to catch a cold. Some midfield and forward defensive issues but the back 6 leak scores too.

Overall my opinion on Carlton is they've beaten the bad teams and lost to a number of good teams, so it's not panic stations, but there's more than something a little off with how they play. I don't think Worsfold part time is the solution either, they need to find Teague an experienced assistant with a bit of mongrel in them.

If they aren't in the race to sign Leppitsch they damn well should be.
Defensively improvement definitely needed. Clearly need a midfielder and winger who can do some heavy defensive lifting. The backline has been shaky all year. Frustrating because under Bolton they were hard to score against.

Curnow, McGovern, Martin and Fisher add some different which is why they’re missed. Curnow today would have made things much tougher for the Dees defence than a hobbled Casboult. McGovern the same.

Martin and Fisher provide some goal sense and pace that I think some of the other smalls didn’t offer today.

The reality is whatever anyone thinks, a team attempting to rise up the ladder is still going to be flawed in some way. Right now Carlton’s glaring problem is how easily teams can move the ball from defensive 50 to their own forward 50.

I'm not going to argue with a delusional person. The scoreboard and the stats tell the real story.

Brisbane, Port and Sydney are the best 3 interstate sides.
It's a lot more difficult playing Brisbane and Port away than Melbourne, Bulldogs, Richmond or Geelong at home.

The ‘real story’ was we were 6 goals up before some late scoreboard pressure came. We were coasting mate, but good on Essendon for winning some statistical battles.

The Bulldogs didn’t find playing Port away too difficult, but the main point is not all interstate away games are the same. Last year we beat Freo, Sydney and Gold Coast in away games, and I’d back us again this year. GWS are very beatable, Adelaide are rebuilding, West Coast are declining... the overall quality of a team will always be more important than their locality.

The ‘real story’ was we were 6 goals up before some late scoreboard pressure came. We were coasting mate, but good on Essendon for winning some statistical battles.

The Bulldogs didn’t find playing Port away too difficult, but the main point is not all interstate away games are the same. Last year we beat Freo, Sydney and Gold Coast in away games, and I’d back us again this year. GWS are very beatable, Adelaide are rebuilding, West Coast are declining... the overall quality of a team will always be more important than their locality.

Carlton were never 6 goals up. I don’t see why either supporter base is clinging to this single game it’s a tiny data point in the scheme of things.

Your complaint about the draw would have some merit if Carlton hadn’t shat the bed against Collingwood.

Carlton were never 6 goals up. I don’t see why either supporter base is clinging to this single game it’s a tiny data point in the scheme of things.

Your complaint about the draw would have some merit if Carlton hadn’t shat the bed against Collingwood.

Not sure where the complaint is coming from? Pointing out not all interstate games are the same, and we currently have 100% winning record in interstate games this year.

Might have been 5 goals, regardless Carlton were cruising and Essendon looked out of it until they made a late charge. It was a comfortable win though.

We will beat Collingwood next time we play them, nothing surer. Played our worst game of the season so far, and they played their best after being roasted the week prior.

Not sure where the complaint is coming from? Pointing out not all interstate games are the same, and we currently have 100% winning record in interstate games this year.

Might have been 5 goals, regardless Carlton were cruising and Essendon looked out of it until they made a late charge. It was a comfortable win though.

We will beat Collingwood next time we play them, nothing surer. Played our worst game of the season so far, and they played their best after being roasted the week prior.

You had a 5 goal lead for less than a minute of game play. You’re not describing the game accurately at all.

My point is that complaining about a tough draw when you’ve lost to one of the worst teams in the comp and were uncompetitive against Richmond doesn’t make any sense.

You had a 5 goal lead for less than a minute of game play. You’re not describing the game accurately at all.

My point is that complaining about a tough draw when you’ve lost to one of the worst teams in the comp and were uncompetitive against Richmond doesn’t make any sense.
Collingwood was not one of the worst teams in the comp when we played them. Had Adams, Roughead, Elliot etc all playing. It was still a s**t loss purely because of how Carlton played but let’s not pretend that Collingwood’s side isn’t drastically different at the moment.

They almost beat Brisbane and they weren’t terrible against the Dogs.

So it was a 5-goal lead, nice. So we can confirm we weren’t in any danger of losing the game, and had a pretty comfortable time despite playing pretty average footy.

I haven’t complained about a tough draw - stop pushing this agenda. I have said a couple of times now that the overall quality of a team is more important than where the team is based, and we happen to have played a bunch of decent teams already.

Losses also happen in isolation, and we dropped the Collingwood game. Reckon we will beat them on return though.

It's obviously hard given that Carlton have been bad for a long time, but today against an undefeated Melbourne team, we:
- dominated the clearances
- led inside 50s
- held them to less than 100 points
These stats don’t tell the picture. Dees have only cracked 100 twice this season (although have now played in the wet 4 times too which doesn’t help), have only won the clearances twice and you only won the I50s by one.

Meanwhile Carlton’s vaunted offensive gameplan got jammed up like every other team against the Dees.

These stats don’t tell the picture. Dees have only cracked 100 twice this season (although have now played in the wet 4 times too which doesn’t help), have only won the clearances twice and you only won the I50s by one.

Meanwhile Carlton’s vaunted offensive gameplan got jammed up like every other team against the Dees.
Carlton was never going to score heavily once McKay’s shoulder began to play up. He kicked 3 but he visibly was afraid to get his arm up.

Yes, Melbourne won the game, and that was the point. You play an extra player behind the ball, allow the opposition one extra at stoppages, etc, so the numbers might be a bit misleading. You've also beaten everyone this year. We still did get enough ball to compete - we even had 20+ tackles inside 50, but as you say, got jammed up.

I don't think Carlton's gameplan has really been 'vaunted' by anyone (most Carlton people think it sucks...) - it is undeniably an offensive strategy. The point was that it is hard to judge that gameplan when a) against the best team in the comp (so far) who almost by definition make everyone's gameplan look bad, and b) when 9 of the best 10-11 forwards on the list are currently injured - if the 'vaunted' gameplan is built around offensive play, it's kind of bound to get stuck if all the good offensive players are either not there or incapable of running.

And the Dees were never going to win the clearances or inside 50s
Yeah but the point is right now McKay all year has been our only reliable forward target. He’s either kicking goals or causing issues with his presence. Today he played differently because of his shoulder.

With McKay down on his usual performance and Carlton’s usual skills going inside 50 they were never going to score well agains the Demons. Just a perfect matchup for Melbourne’s gameplan. Staggered Teague didn’t try to change things up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but the point is right now McKay all year has been our only reliable forward target. He’s either kicking goals or causing issues with his presence. Today he played differently because of his shoulder.

With McKay down on his usual performance and Carlton’s usual skills going inside 50 they were never going to score well agains the Demons. Just a perfect matchup for Melbourne’s gameplan. Staggered Teague didn’t try to change things up.
If McKay was up and about I doubt we’d have done things the same way, probably would have had to be more aggressive at the clearances. We played our way and won, which currently involves losing the clearances and being more defensively minded around the stoppages, but we’ve been a pretty decent clearance and inside 50 team for the past four year. When we’re in a situation that requires it we’ll turn up. We let Richmond beat us in the clearances this year for the first time in ages and it was the first time we’ve actually looked like beating them. Same with the Swans and Cats.

No need to get defensive mate, not all of us cannot manufacture humour without reverting to decade-old memes.
You’re the one who’s upset about it, I wouldn’t go calling anyone else defensive. There’s no need to manufacture humour when the Dees and Carlton have delivered it in spades this century.

If McKay was up and about I doubt we’d have done things the same way, probably would have had to be more aggressive at the clearances. We played our way and won, which currently involves losing the clearances and being more defensively minded around the stoppages, but we’ve been a pretty decent clearance and inside 50 team for the past four year. When we’re in a situation that requires it we’ll turn up. We let Richmond beat us in the clearances this year for the first time in ages and it was the first time we’ve actually looked like beating them. Same with the Swans and Cats.
The point was Carlton doesn’t have some vaunted offensive strategy. It really has been McKay or bust as a forward target this year with some cameos from a few smaller players like Betts, Owies etc.

The point was Carlton doesn’t have some vaunted offensive strategy. It really has been McKay or bust as a forward target this year with some cameos from a few smaller players like Betts, Owies etc.
The point was the original poster pointing out that Carlton won the clearances and inside 50s against us as though it means anything. It might be useful if you did it against the Dogs who are a clearance based team but it would be dangerous for the blues to look at it as a positive against us. The thing that actually challenged us most was how quickly Carlton moved the ball in the first quarter which took us a while to adjust to, that’s what they should focus on.

How many times do you need to be reminded, 16 points is not a smacking. Another reminder that 8 is just a made up number to suit your own agenda. How many are actually entrenched best 18? I’d hazard a guess about half.

Anyways, another litmus test for the Bloos today and another failure. Geez it must get boring doing the same dumb sh*t expecting a different result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never boring thumping the Bombers though. Especially with 8 out.

If by arriving they mean playing a final, I'll go with 2028
I wonder which rebuild they will be comparing themselves to by then?

4/5 years ago it was Blues v Lions....Lions are off playing in PFs now.

Sydney have rebuilt and left Carlton in their wake, Melbourne too.

Probably be some Carlton v Essendon threads next

Also wouldn't be surprised if the Roos or Hawks even push past them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back