When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

I honestly felt the same way about McGovern but flipped on him after watching closely last year. His output doesn't jump out but he adds a lot to our team and system (on the odd occasions he is actually fit).

Quite simply, the way McGovern plays gives us things we lack otherwise. He's surprisingly fast, shorter than he plays but strong, and it means we can play an extra marking target without getting too slow (ie: McKay + McGovern + Casboult can work in a way that McKay+Casboult+De Koning doesn't). He's a good enough mark to play alone next to McKay in a smaller team (McKay+McGovern+smalls gives two good targets. McKay+Silvagni+smalls doesn't work).

McGovern also provides a lot of 1%ers - he blocks well for team-mates, provides physical presence and will crash and bash opponents, and is an aerial presence whose opponent has to respect him (which stops them zoning to defend McKay etc). That's not much, but that sort of stuff is in drastically short supply at Carlton (seriously - who else even shepherds?). Oh, and he's a bloody good kick when he actually does get the ball - both field kicking and goal kicking. that's also something in very short supply at Carlton.

He's unfortunately almost always injured, has had issues getting and staying properly fit, and the intangibles don't add to the tangibles nearly enough to justify what we pay him.

But, for our structure and the way Teague wants us to play, I think he is in our top 12 players and that's borne out in him being a walk-up selection when fit (and even when 'mostly' fit).

It's the same situation Adelaide found themselves in with McGovern. Didn't ever do it on the stat sheet, but he does have a habit of making a forward line function a whole lot better when he is available.

Not a player worth 800k, but is an ok footballer.

Easy to point fingers now. SOS gave up way overs for Mcgovern and he's on decent coin. In reality all those GWS players sos recruited only one is a walk up start when fit. Recruiting over a long period of time has really been poor.

We’re also about to lose Pittonet for the season. We have no cover for any tall inside 50 and have basically played Harry one out all year. Oscar McDonald was our SUPP player in preseason who kicked 3 goals on debut. We have TDK as a 20 game ruck and Harry as our only tall forward options. Curnow, McGovern, McDonald, Casboult and Pittonet are our only forward options. ALL OUT.

Your defense is ranked 17th.

Your forwards out is not the critical factor here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realise they might be choosing bad photos to suit "the mood"... but if not, talk about being under pressure. He looks downright ill. The CEO and head of footy need to be publicly supporting... hopefully he's alright.

While I agree with the sentiment, I'm not sure the CEO or anyone else publicly supporting the coach is ever helpful. It's usually seen as a death rattle.

What Teague needs more than anything is his players to turn up ready to smash some heads on Sunday. Weird timeslot game against an interstate, non finals calibre opponent who have to fly up on the morning of the match and who are due a shocker. Could/should be one of those blood in the water wins by 60+

It's the same situation Adelaide found themselves in with McGovern. Didn't ever do it on the stat sheet, but he does have a habit of making a forward line function a whole lot better when he is available.

Not a player worth 800k, but is an ok footballer.

Adelaide built a great forward line that had both Lynch and McGovern in that mobile hybrid tall role. Then Walker as the big CHF and Jenkins closer to goal.

I think that's what Teague want with McKay replacing Walker, Curnow potentially a better version of Lynch and De Koning as Jenkins. We don't have an Eddie Betts or Charlie Cameron but Fisher and Martin offer spark in a different way. You can at least see the vision.

Unfortunately in Teague's tenure he has had only two games with both McKay and Curnow together (a win over top 4 Brisbane and 3 point loss to the Bulldogs). His lack of flexibility in response to this is the big concern, of course (sadly he's known jn both of his two full years that Charlie would be out for the year - you have to adapt in that circunstance)

Your defense is ranked 17th.

Your forwards out is not the critical factor here.

Playing all out attack with no one to apply scoreboard pressure, except Harry and Owies/Betts every now and then.

The game plan is clearly shocking but it certainly doesn’t help. We set up as if we’re going to win every stoppage and get torched the other way. It’s infuriating.

Playing all out attack with no one to apply scoreboard pressure, except Harry and Owies/Betts every now and then.

The game plan is clearly shocking but it certainly doesn’t help. We set up as if we’re going to win every stoppage and get torched the other way. It’s infuriating.

Much as I'm loathe to say it - I do feel for Carlton fans that aren't dickheads; as an Essendon fan, we know what it's like to have our side infuriate and frustrate week in week out.

To be clear though, no sympathy for Carlton the club AT ALL...

Much as I'm loathe to say it - I do feel for Carlton fans that aren't dickheads; as an Essendon fan, we know what it's like to have our side infuriate and frustrate week in week out.

To be clear though, no sympathy for Carlton the club AT ALL...

You have been fun to watch of late. Should be pleased. At that point where winning or losing doesn’t necessarily matter because there’s enough there to be excited about.

We’re also about to lose Pittonet for the season. We have no cover for any tall inside 50 and have basically played Harry one out all year. Oscar McDonald was our SUPP player in preseason who kicked 3 goals on debut. We have TDK as a 20 game ruck and Harry as our only tall forward options. Curnow, McGovern, McDonald, Casboult and Pittonet are our only forward options. ALL OUT.

But other than Curnow they are all hopeless forwards. Just because that’s where they’d be positioned doesn’t mean your team is struggling because they are out. I’m sorry, but every Carlton thread I read mercilessly bags McGovern and Casboult as being very poor….and they are right. Then McDonald is a failed defender from Melbourne and Pittonet a workmanlike ruck. Your team is no better with any of those guys up forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But other than Curnow they are all hopeless forwards. Just because that’s where they’d be positioned doesn’t mean your team is struggling because they are out. I’m sorry, but every Carlton thread I read mercilessly bags McGovern and Casboult as being very poor….and they are right. Then McDonald is a failed defender from Melbourne and Pittonet a workmanlike ruck. Your team is no better with any of those guys up forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would be handy to have a foil for McKay to draw the second defender that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back