When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

Never understood the criticism for the trade. I mean if SOS’s team rated Stocker that highly then it was a no brainer.

It’s self-sustained when Stocker is playing reserves footy, but hard to argue against when he’s playing well in the seniors.

Was always likely to make it if he got his fitness up to base level.

You underrate all Carlton players but that's alright because it's only your opinion. We will improve our win loss ratio again this year and won't be far out of the eight. Stocker looking like he'll be a player so you can put that trade to rest, all in all we'll be rid of you in another couple of seasons mate, so start packing.
You still haven’t told me what you disagree with in my post. I didn’t mention Stocker mate.

It’s self-sustained when Stocker is playing reserves footy, but hard to argue against when he’s playing well in the seniors.

Was always likely to make it if he got his fitness up to base level.

Yeah for sure my point is that the trade always made sense from a Carlton perspective. They had Stocker as a clear top 10 in the draft so why wouldn’t they do the trade.

The whole SOS is an idiot for making what was an intelligent but fairly simple decision based on he and his recruiting team draft board always seemed odd to me.

You still haven’t told me what you disagree with in my post. I didn’t mention Stocker mate.
You've mentioned the Stocker trade plenty of times in your anti SOS crap, also i told you what i disagree with, your rating of Carlton players.

You've mentioned the Stocker trade plenty of times in your anti SOS crap, also i told you what i disagree with, your rating of Carlton players.
So you are getting your back up that someone has a different opinion than you on a footy forum. And don’t bother to address my post directly to rational discussion. Carry on.

So you are getting your back up that someone has a different opinion than you on a footy forum. And don’t bother to address my post directly to rational discussion. Carry on.
Carlton has improved it's position every year for the last three, I've noticed you've never said that, Dow and Kennedy playing good footy, you've never said that. The only right thing you've said is that I'm getting my back up.

Last edited:
SOS has been worse should not get a game
They’re currently inside the 8 while being thrown up as a wooden spoon contender and got smashed in the off season for losing Orazio, Daniher and Saad. Your club topped up by trading your first rounder and paid heaps of coin for Williams and Saad. And they’re still ahead of you.

🙃 lol.

In the scheme of things we paid the lads B grader wages around the 650-750k mark. We had an age gap on the list and bought in Martin, Williams, Saad and Fogarty for Pick 8 which turned into Pick 11.

They’re currently inside the 8 while being thrown up as a wooden spoon contender and got smashed in the off season for losing Orazio, Daniher and Saad. Your club topped up by trading your first rounder and paid heaps of coin for Williams and Saad. And they’re still ahead of you.

🙃 lol.

Just look at their draw in comparison to ours (and others)...says enough to those with half a footy brain.
LOL :cool:

Carlton has improved it's position every year for the last three, I've noticed you've never said that, Dow and Kennedy playing good footy, you've never said that. The only right thing you've said right is that I'm getting my back up.
I agree with all the above.

I also believe (in the post this morning that seems to have caused some angst) that my view that Dow has been disappointing as a top three pick and think he’s limited to a Jack Graham calibre player (that’s not a bad thing) and Kennedy has been generally disappointing over his tenure and had a couple of good games, but isn’t the way forward. Same with Setterfield. SPS as an Atley type - he’s progressing that way. The stranger view would be seeing him progress past that based on his 80 odd games so far and where he is at.

Didn’t really see that post as ludicrous as what you made it out to be. I would be thinking there would be some on the Carlton board having a similar discussion. I know we do with our players on the Richmond board.

Kennedy was reprogrammed in VFL and has done well past month not two weeks. His form is likely to continue. Conditioned his body got a huge amount of training, injury free and dominated VFL. No reason why he will fall back if he is not injured.

Dow and Setterfield will also get reprogrammed at some stage in VFL if Covid stays away next year.

Kennedy was reprogrammed in VFL and has done well past month not two weeks. His form is likely to continue. Conditioned his body got a huge amount of training, injury free and dominated VFL. No reason why he will fall back if he is not injured.

Dow and Setterfield will also get reprogrammed at some stage in VFL if Covid stays away next year.
Don't see it with Setters. Feel like he doesn't have the mental application. Also doesn't have much flexibility to play other roles (in contrast to Kennedy who is a good forward).

I would agree that Dow has been disgustingly underwhelming so far, but in the last month he has looked far far better as a footballer. Not on the stat sheet as much but his disposal is infinitely better than in previous years, he looks very strong around the contest and has genuine explosiveness which was said to be his strength in juniors. Would I prefer Jack if I wanted to win a game right now? Absolutely. But according to those at the club the 'Penny has dropped' for Dow which has reflected his return to the side. If he has a a big off season I can see him easily growing into a A- player. The same being said he could just as easily have an injury interrupted pre season and come back just as underwhelming as he has been til now. I still have my doubts around Dow accumulating enough ball to become an A grader but he certainly has been showing the 'traits' of why he went so high the last 4-5 games.

The bolded is really very harsh when referring to a 21 year old. Maybe some supporters expectations of every 18 year old are wildly over inflated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t call it reprogrammed. Confidence and playing correct positions helps a lot. Plus maturity.

The majority of players in any given 22 are ‘handy’ toilers. That’s just the reality of the talent distribution in a salary capped league. You don’t smash always smash it out of the park like we did with Walsh, Weitering and McKay.

I personally think in 2016 we smashed it with McGrath, Ridley and Draper.

cottrell stays and will be a 100 to 200 game player and here is why
he does not seem to have the best skills, prefer he handballs to one of our better kicks
but he has has a tank and runs all day ( from both teams only walsh covered more ground on sunday)
He is a fierce competitor
ideal candidate to replaced ed curnow as a run with tagger

kennedy will stay, has improved heaps under luke power, instead of that hack john barker
wont be a star, but will be a solid B grader

feel betts will go one more year, owies certainly has one small forward spot, and hopefully durdin comes on and forces betts out

Cottrell will be lucky to be on an AFL list 2022, let alone 100-200 games

There are reasons. He will be back. Really can play. Mental side isn’t an issue
Any insights into the reasons? It really is one of the more dramatic drop-offs in form that I can remember. Not that he ever reached great heights last year, but he looks like a shadow of the player he was.

Agreed, imagine if it was McCluggage, Ridley and Draper though?

OR Taranto, Ridley and Draper.

McGrath is possibly still in the top 5 players from that draft, so it wasn’t a completely wasted pick. You know a wasted high pick, when they just don’t perform at all after years of development. Schache being a perfect non-Carlton/Bombers example.

I wouldn’t call it reprogrammed. Confidence and playing correct positions helps a lot. Plus maturity.

Not really as can't play 10 players in the midfield. I think we will stick to most flexible players.

Cripps and Kennedy being able to play forward
Walsh being able to play on the wing
Fisher being able to play forward

I'm referring to smalls not key players. If they are not flexible then their spot on the list diminishes at the rate of knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back