When will the melbourne FC be Dissolved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows and West Coast have had shocking injury runs as well.
Look into ours if you like, it's the worst I've ever seen. There's plenty of information around about it. It has completely destroyed our season. The other two clubs have been able to stay afloat through injury crises, good on them. :thumbsu:

Look into ours if you like, it's the worst I've ever seen. There's plenty of information around about it. It has completely destroyed our season. The other two clubs have been able to stay afloat through injury crises, good on them. :thumbsu:
What a load of horse droppings. St Kilda has had a massive run of Injuries. HUGE. their supporters are as passionate as they have ever been. and look, they still have massive injuries but they are in finals contention. You can keep bringin up on field issues all you like, but it only puts things more into perspective.

I'm not having a go at Melbourne but yesterdays game was the least ammount of opposition fans i have ever seen at a freo home game even the Roos were pulling in more supporters.

When I went to the North vs Demons game there weren't a lot of Demons supporters there but the ones that rocked up had to take some bitter medicine. It is fine to talk about this team should go or that team should go but behind the mindless internet trolling there are a lot of people that really love their club and 80% of the football public is fickle, no matter which team or which state.

A few years back even Collingwood had poor figures after a couple of lean years, still reasonable numbers but exceptionally poor for Collingwood, poor enough that stations were playing Adelaide vs Port Adelaide on tv in Melbourne instead of Collingwood vs Carlton.

Next time someone has a bright idea of moving or killing a club, be original and nominate your own club to move or die when you are at a low ebb. Every club will go through low points. If we kill off every club that goes through a bad period we wont have any clubs left.

What a load of horse droppings. St Kilda has had a massive run of Injuries. HUGE. their supporters are as passionate as they have ever been. and look, they still have massive injuries but they are in finals contention.
They are winning. We are losing. Our crowds are big when we are winning, and small when we are losing. Comprendé?

Why don't you start a Sociology Reseach Journal on MFC Supporters so you can how these strange creatures behave. You clearly aren't registering what I'm trying to explain. It sucks but it doesn't mean we should fold.

Your geographical zoning points would have alot more merit if we didn't have a
bigger membership then 2 or 3 other clubs. Another point is that with so many MCC members being Melbourne supporters, there must be some social demographic even if there is no geographical one.

When I went to the North vs Demons game there weren't a lot of Demons supporters there but the ones that rocked up had to take some bitter medicine. It is fine to talk about this team should go or that team should go but behind the mindless internet trolling there are a lot of people that really love their club and 80% of the football public is fickle, no matter which team or which state.

A few years back even Collingwood had poor figures after a couple of lean years, still reasonable numbers but exceptionally poor for Collingwood, poor enough that stations were playing Adelaide vs Port Adelaide on tv in Melbourne instead of Collingwood vs Carlton.

Next time someone has a bright idea of moving or killing a club, be original and nominate your own club to move or die when you are at a low ebb. Every club will go through low points. If we kill off every club that goes through a bad period we wont have any clubs left.

What? nothing you said is relevant. we are talking about crowd attendances, and there are several clubs going through hard times but their supporters still show up. If you can magically change facts, your argument has merit. Otherwise accept that Melbourne is a special case and Ive already clearly pointed out why I believe this to be so.

They are winning. We are losing. Our crowds are big when we are winning, and small when we are losing. Comprendé?

Why don't you start a Sociology Reseach Journal on MFC Supporters so you can how these strange creatures behave. You clearly aren't registering what I'm trying to explain. It sucks but it doesn't mean we should fold.

Your geographical zoning points would have alot more merit if we didn't have a

bigger membership then 2 or 3 other clubs. Another point is that with so many MCC members being Melbourne supporters, there must be some social demographic even if there is no geographical one.
OH! sorry, I didnt get it...wait a second, arent Richmond on the bottom of the ladder? oh yes thats right. they are.
Ok the AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE is represented by 15 towns cities or suburbs, representing anyone who lives there ,or identifies with that area.

Melbourne is represented by a Cricket club, which costs extensive amounts of money to join, and is a fairly small demographic in the context of a Truly national competition.

Listen to some cold hard facts. There are several reasons why people support, turn up to games and become members of AFL clubs. For me it wasnt location admittedly, it was on field performance of a particular player, G Ablett surprisingly. There is also family, if your father/brother/mother goes for a certain club, you can identify with them and that particular team.
The main overarching reason that people support a particular team however, is representation of a certain place, or area. That is a fact, that is why Fremantle and port adelaide automatically grew supporters, and how sydney and Brisbane helped grow the game in their respective states.

how can a supporter base grow of a team that doesnt even represent a particular suburb or town, the major reason for football support? Simply it cant.
Id like all the "trolls" in this thread to prove this solid reasoning wrong and come up with another alternative to football supporter growth or health.

Geddy how about you lay off? Just because someone doesn't agree with you it does not make them a troll. The post is not necessarily directed at you. If you're club had more people like you (passionate, paid up people who attend) there would not be an issue. I don't want Melbourne to be going poorly off field or on. I want all Victorian teams to survive and prosper. When Melbourne are selling home games to Brisbane and playing other ones in Canberra against Sydney they are obviously in more trouble off field than on. It is just crap they should have to do that. They have enough support obviously (certainly all turning up in 2000) but that they drop away so quickly and badly makes it very tough on the club.

haha, keyboard heros. Im actually a paying member of an AFL club, are you? My opinion matters mate. accept it :thumbsu::)
Your attempt to derail a legitemate, non personal topic has failed.
IMHO i agree with you melbourne need to go elsewhere,merge whatever!
But IMHO your opinion doesnt matter at all!because at the end of the day we are all keyboard heroes!:thumbsu:Some of us just take abit longer than others to realise this!Anyway you would be preparing yourself for the choker hold no doubt!!with finals and all just round the corner!
Hoping the hawks once again give the cats a good dose of furball!

The supporter base is represented by a team that is clearly identified as one for their demographic, not by the players, but what it stands for.
I dont know what Melbourne stands for. Do you? its kind of hard when there are 6 other teams that represent a part of it as well.:thumbsu:

What a team stands for can be a whole range of different things its very open to interpretation what does st.kilda stand for, what do the dogs stand for, what do the tigers stand for? And talking about parts of things, are we talking geographically like suburbs or what?

What a team stands for can be a whole range of different things its very open to interpretation what does st.kilda stand for, what do the dogs stand for, what do the tigers stand for? And talking about parts of things, are we talking geographically like suburbs or what?
Read above to my previous big post

But IMHO your opinion doesnt matter at all!because at the end of the day we are all keyboard heroes!Some of us just take abit longer than others to realise this!Anyway you would be preparing yourself for the choker hold no doubt!!with finals and all just round the corner!

Haha, oh my hawthorn friend, nice to see you derailing threads, and personally attacking me unnecesarily ;)

Can't see melb being dissolved as such. However the head honcho's down there need to figure out what they are going to do. Lets hope sheeds gives some light to these fickle supporters (Not all of you are fickle).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But IMHO your opinion doesnt matter at all!because at the end of the day we are all keyboard heroes!:thumbsu:Some of us just take abit longer than others to realise this!Anyway you would be preparing yourself for the choker hold no doubt!!with finals and all just round the corner!

We are all keyboard heroes but not all of us have mastered the art of how to structure a sentence

Listen to some cold hard facts. There are several reasons why people support, turn up to games and become members of AFL clubs. For me it wasnt location admittedly, it was on field performance of a particular player, G Ablett surprisingly. There is also family, if your father/brother/mother goes for a certain club, you can identify with them and that particular team.
The main overarching reason that people support a particular team however, is representation of a certain place, or area. That is a fact, that is why Fremantle and port adelaide automatically grew supporters, and how sydney and Brisbane helped grow the game in their respective states.
how can a supporter base grow of a team that doesnt even represent a particular suburb or town, the major reason for football support? Simply it cant.
Id like all the "trolls" in this thread to prove this solid reasoning wrong and come up with another alternative to football supporter growth or health.
You maintain that because the MFC does not have an identifiable area, that they should relocate or "dissolve" because there is no/little growth prospects because people will never feel drawn into the club because of their conjunctive locality.You are right, we don't have an identifiable area, and clubs like yours and Freo have a wonderful advantage having that. Yet our membership continues to grow, and there are definitely tangible improvements to our clubs infrastructure that nearly collapsed in the 1990s. If we have a star player that can draw people in to support the club (like GA did for you and Jakovich did for me) it will help truckloads.

I think you are overstating the importance of a club having it's own suburb as a key attribute of long-term sustainability, and that when we finally do come out of the wilderness locality will be put further in perspective. Our clubs have been starved of success for the same period of time (40+ years), yet ours has the disadvantage of not having our own suburb or town, which in turn speaks volumes about the underlying passion that lies underneath the clubs stereotype as fickle, snow-bound yuppies.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there actually is a "particular suburb or town" called the City of Melbourne.
You dont read my post, then make a fool of yourself stating the obvious. Dont worry, I dont judge Sydney supporters by you, so dont feel accountable.

They may have been the very first. They may be named 'Melbourne', but we all know the only reason this club doesnt seem to have a serious cloud over its head is Because they are the "Melbourne" Demons.

This is not a jab at the player group, lets get that straight off the bat.
I am talking about the club itself, its health, its supporter base, its crowd turnout, its potential for future development.

Over the past few months we have seen this uncaring fan base of melbourne's, so often stereotyped as a bunch of yuppies lost in the snowfields while they leave their member seats empty, but it seems the stereotype, at least the uncaring part, is true.

All I am asking for is an open dialogue, with all supporters, leaving biase out of it. Is Melbourne a hinderance on the competition, and are they are viable club in the future or are they a club that needs to be merged or dissolved?

This is my personal opinion;
Melbourne no longer is necessary in the competition, they do not represent a demographic relevant to a suburb, or can be identified as "Melbourne's" team and will never have the ability to forge itself as a premiership club again.
They should be dissolved, a 16th team should be made either in the gold coast, or in a place viable for growth in New south wales.

I will probably get a huge torrent of angry melbourne supporters, but my aim was not to personally attack them. Just to ask the question,
is the Melbourne FC necessary? I dont think so.

There is only one club that is necessary, Collingwood. The rest are merely window dressing around our greatness. You all rely on us and are able to be replaced.

you can't have AFL without a team called melbourne.
I just don’t get this theory at all. Of course you can. There is no Perth and things seem to go ok in the West. The AFL, in Melbourne at least, is a club based competition not a geography based competition. Melbourne geography ceased to be relevant to any meaningful extent decades back. While I don’t particularly want to see any club fold the name is the very least relevant consideration for a clubs survival and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back