music_2000

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2005
western sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, wanderers. NY giants
hey guys when will there be an australian baseball league? beacues baseball is a great sport and I never usually get to watch the american leagues let alone hear abything about them. im sure at least someone agrees with me

been there, done that. i used to go watch the Waverley Reds at VFL Park. We got 12000 people once. Lots of good looking chicks at the games.

red+black said:
been there, done that. i used to go watch the Waverley Reds at VFL Park. We got 12000 people once. Lots of good looking chicks at the games.

I used to go quite frequently and it wasn't too bad at all. It's a shame the competition couldn't make any money or attract sponsors.

So you have never heard of the following teams.....

Melbourne Monarchs
Waverley/Melbourne Reds
Melbourne Bushrangers
Sydney Storm
Sydney Blues
Sydney Wave
Brisbane Bandits
Gold Coast Cougars
Daikyo Dolphins
Adelaide Giants
Perth Heat
Parramatta Patriots
Brisbane Clippers
Canberra Bushrangers
Hunter Eagles
Sydney Metros

All of these teams played in the Australian Baseball League from 1989 to 2001.
Each team was affiliated with a Major League Baseball team. Many former ABL players are now established MLB stars. Thanks to the ABL, there are now over 70 young Aussies playing professional baseball for Major and Minor League teams across the USA and Canada.

For a detailed history of the ABL see www.users.bigpond.com/goreds

Yup- the ABL did a good job on the younger players....and it was a good feeder for the teams in the States- unfortunately, the grounds they used were simply not good baseball diamonds- ANZ Stadium in Brisbane, the Showgrounds in Sydney, Moorabbin in Melbourne- Whitten Oval as well if I recall correctly....

But they also didn't have sponsorship- and thus couldn't pull in the numbers....

Pity- there is room for both baseball and cricket in Oz....

Ah the ABL :(

I miss Perth Heat and Greg Jelks (spelling) and Andrew McNelly ah they were the days at Parry Field on the back of the tier on the wooden seats.

Parry Field is now apartments....

wellsy said:
Ah the ABL :(

I miss Perth Heat and Greg Jelks (spelling) and Andrew McNelly ah they were the days at Parry Field on the back of the tier on the wooden seats.

Parry Field is now apartments....

I always thought the demise of Parry Field and the subsequent development of Ascot Waters would lead to an ultimate end of top class baseball in Perth. Yes they did move to the W.A.C.A. but that was a way to expensive option (one light tower there costs $5000 to run).

I was a former employer of Perth Heat and I miss going to see some top class baseball. I remember taking a trip to Brisbane and seeing the Heat win one of their championships.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............200 posts :D

Use to go to alot of Sydney Storm games when i was a youngster playing for the Balmain Boomers :).

Gary White was my favourite player..bit of a badass.

Went to the Adelaide Giants games and still have some foul balls. But they played at Norwood oval due to lack of a proper baseball diamond!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

butchy said:
australian's dont play games...they play sport.
baseball is a real bad game, and i wouldnt even call it a sport!!!!

So if you were making multi millions of dollars in the states you still wouldn't call it a sport?

no. poker is a game, and you can make a fair bit out of that.

baseball is the easiest sport in the world.
there is no fitness, hardly any running and it goes for 6 boring hours!!!!
anyone can stand there and swing a bat as hard as they want, and occasionally make good contact with it.
i will give credit to the pitchers. they put their bodies thru a fair bit out on the mound, but no one else really needs to do anything.

butchy said:
no. poker is a game, and you can make a fair bit out of that.

baseball is the easiest sport in the world.
there is no fitness, hardly any running and it goes for 6 boring hours!!!!
anyone can stand there and swing a bat as hard as they want, and occasionally make good contact with it.
i will give credit to the pitchers. they put their bodies thru a fair bit out on the mound, but no one else really needs to do anything.

Grab a bat.....see how you go against a 100mph fastball.

I can still remember B-fa Bear getting ejected at Norwood one night. NBA giant James Donaldson was a part owner of the Sydney Blues if memeory serves me correctly.

I used to find baseball dead boring, but lately I have been watching a fair bit of the MLB and have been getting into it. Still don't really have a team yet, but that will come naturally soon. It is a shame to hear of the demise of the game in Australia. It appears as though the popularity of cricket killed it off. If it ever re-surfaced I would try to get behind it 100%, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back