Strategy Where are we going as a football team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Geelong are possibly in the same position. Eagles, Hawks and Tiges have all won flags. Hawks were up for so long they've had no top end draft picks.

We on the other hand, have wasted at least 7 first round draft picks and 3 top 10 (freeman, Sharenberg and Stephenson). I acknowledge 2 or those were injured.

However our list management has been poor. Yes we made a GF but that was on the back of one of the most amazing performances we've pulled out in 10 years. The 2018 PF...
I think 2018 was also on the basis of consistency in the face of adversity with ongoing injuries like in 2019, but we had some weaknesses which came to haunt us in the end and had a bit of bad luck with the weather against Giants too.

Yet another window out the window. Thanks Collingwood football club after my 50 loyal years of support, any chance I can have a show of faith back? Won't hold my breath.

Window after window of false hope, all put down to 'luck' for some, not our own fk ups, no we don't fk up at Collingwood, it's all down to luck. No evidence of any self inflicted harm at Collingwood, no we're running at optimum and it's only luck that has seen us empty handed. Yeah right.

In before whataboutism of other clubs 'that haven't done as well as us' - even then there's only two in our clubs 2nd half of our life that have succeeded less.

And in before 'why do you follow the club then?'. Well I'm related to the late great Daniel Minogue, an AFL hall of famer and my whole family are rusted on Collingwood, was brought up on Colliingwood since birth, will never ever give up on Collingwood.

That however does not take away from my disdain at this club that could and should be head and shoulders above the competition. And that is the whole point of the competition, to be better than the competition. But no it's hang onto domination that is 80 years old, seriously how do we hold the highest profile sporting club in the country if not the whole southern hemisphere? Maybe only the allblacks and the national cricket team can hold a higher mantle, maybe.

Mnah, time to step and be Collingwood again Collingwood. Won't hold my breath.

:( 😤👎💩

Discuss:

EDIT: Won't be surprised if I get infracted or this thread is deleted. Worth it just to vent.

we're famous because we were successful about 100 years ago. i've never worked out a use for fame, in itself, separate from the money or the power that usually goes with it. I'd be happy if I never heard anything more about the past or traditions or all that stuff.

I agree with everything you said. So many lost opportunities and disappointments over so many years. It's been a hard journey being a Collingwood supporter but I still love them and sometimes hate them. We need to become a powerhouse again and that will only come with big change and direction, hopefully Wright is the catalist we need to get it started

Feels like we are being slowly strangled of life. Cant believe our injuries - again - and to top 22 players. Bucks' conservative game plan is compounded by his conservative team selection, going back again and again to the same mediocre or fading footballers. I hate criticising individual players, but we have to see more signs of renewal. Its started with McCreery, Macrae, and possibly Rantall this week, but the coaches are walking a very fine line between playing the kids and protecting them from being flogged. Our structural problems have brought us to this hellish place.

We're at a crossroads. We need to start thinking about the next 2 to 3 seasons instead of this one. I think the club still believes we have the cattle to contend, but with so many of if form or injured, I'm not sure.

This year will be seen as a wasted year.
We'll get a new coach and assistants next year although we'll be forced to not have high expectations because it's their first season.
Inability to convert a first round draft pick in the last 8 years is starting to tell.
We are like one of those suburban circus's that keep wheeling out the same acts over and over. Pendlebury and Sidebottom starting in the middle again.......

what I find upsetting Collingwood has played is 13 finals series out of the last 20 years for 6 gfs and 1 premiership. In the same period hawthorn have won 4 and Geelong 3!!

One day Collingwood may get a dynasty but our biggest issue is the bloody arrogance of this club

No mate. It's just bad luck, all the time. Pfft!

Forgive the intrusion, I come in piece. Isn’t it fair to say that Eddie, that report about racism and the list manager is what has brought the club down? All my living memory the Pies have been an example of a well run club strong on the field. Watching now it really is the opposite.

Forgive the intrusion, I come in piece. Isn’t it fair to say that Eddie, that report about racism and the list manager is what has brought the club down? All my living memory the Pies have been an example of a well run club strong on the field. Watching now it really is the opposite.
Poor list management has.

Yeah Geelong are possibly in the same position. Eagles, Hawks and Tiges have all won flags. Hawks were up for so long they've had no top end draft picks.

We on the other hand, have wasted at least 7 first round draft picks and 3 top 10 (freeman, Sharenberg and Stephenson). I acknowledge 2 or those were injured.

However our list management has been poor. Yes we made a GF but that was on the back of one of the most amazing performances we've pulled out in 10 years. The 2018 PF...

Yep, been some poor decisions made. It's why Hine was elevated to list manager earlier in this decade. It's why it was then determined that list management and recruiting were big a role for 1 person and guy was appointed. The club hasn't been inactive on the list management aspect, just that the changes haven't brought the turnaround we'd all like. Hopefully we're starting to see that under Guy.

I liken CFC to an old economy stock on the share market. Before you know it the new economy disruptors have taken over/gained significant market share whilst management at the old economy stick have been asleep at the wheel.

The CFC underpinned by most of its supporters still live in the dead past ie we are the biggest/best/most supported etc. This mindset was OK back in the early days but in modern times it can bring you unstuck, as evidenced by the lack of success over the past 10-20-30 years. This mindset existed way before McGuire/Buckley came on the scene however it has been perpetuated to nose bleed levels by these 2 blokes ie if you're not us with us you're against us. Those sort of slogans were all well and good back in the day but really we are now a modern thinking society are we not?. And of course the supporters follow suit.

For CFC to thrive moving forward, it really needs to let go of the dead past. Acknowledge it but move on. This will be extremely tough whilst characters like McGuire and Buckley are still around together of course with the supporter base who underwrite this mindset. There is no easy solution here. Maybe there is no solution at all. Maybe its just not possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a portion of an article from Sly (of the Collingwood Rant)

The club has a great history, but that success has inflated the hyperbole until those involved with the club (officially and unofficially) have lost all sense of proportion. “We are the greatest.” “We are the biggest.” “We are the best.” Blah blah blah. These are all typical proclamations that have come from Collingwood over the decades. Given their lack of accomplishment in the modern era, you would think they would show a little modesty.

They’ve lost all their claims to fame – leaders on the premiership table, most members et cetera. And if they don’t stop and take honest stock, they could very well see themselves slipping into obscurity while continuing to try living vicariously through their halcyon days of the 1920s and 1930s for relevance.

Swings and roundabout, it all depends were you are in your life span

I was fortunate or unfortunate to see Pies in 12-13 GFs in my time for 2 flags

This young crop will hopefully give us what the youth did from the late 80’s to take us to a flag

We just have grit our teeth for a few years and we’ll be back bigger & better

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly, things need to change to give us the fans some confidence on and off field. The phone incident and the crap that Bucks said re Jordy was the last straw for me. Bucks was being a smart arse as he doesn’t like Robbo and I’m sorry it just sums us up at the moment.
I heard some crazy women call SEN today calling all the hosts Collingwood haters and to stop harassing Bucks. Well there’s another problem the Buckley apologists and those people who complain if anything negative is said about the club. (Mods included) We need a massive shake up, we will get a new president but let’s not have an Eddie disciple, that’s like Don jr being US President after what’s his face. We have a new footy manager good, next is the coach and captain. I really like Pendlebury as a captain and footballer he’s an absolute star but if we change everything else then I’d like to see Tay Adams take over. As for the coach, anyone but Bucks or Ross Lyon.
I heard Justin Leppitsch on the radio again today, geez he sounds like he’s got some great footy knowledge and he’s an outsider which is what we need. Last 2 premiership coaches, Mathews and Malthouse.
Finally recruiting, we need key forwards more than anything else, just have that as our drafting and training goal. We’ll get Nick Daicos FS so mids covered next season now just move heaven and earth to get the best key forward.
So the men need to look at how our women’s side has done it re coaching and building up a great side. No flag this season but damn they are a side to be proud of. Oh Bri Davey is a super star 🌟

For a start we need to get 1 President rather than co-presidents fighting over who gets the gig.

This in itself tells me both are unworthy of the position.

How about we be a club who puts the club first??

Let’s find the right person to be President for the next 10 years rather than just accept someone internally who may/may not be the best person for the role.

To answer the OP, we are going down the sh1tter in a hurry.
I can't remember ever feeling as let down by our club as I have in 2021.
We are far & away the worst run footy club in the AFL. We may have money but bugger all else.
Their is no hope to hang on to either. We won't be rebounding for quite some time.

We need to look forward.

I think we are going to need a bottom out, which unfortunately means Pendles, Sidey, Howe won't get the chance to contend again.

We have some okay kids, and some really good mid-aged talent (Moore, De Goey, etc), but need a few years of adding to that with the first and early second round talent that we have denied ourselves over the last five years. When these types have 50-100 games of experience, then we will be contending again.

I also think we don't go too hard on FA talent. We wait until one to take us higher into contention, rather than just trying to plug a hole in a bottoming out team, and soaking up salary.

Any other players on our list who want to sign up to a big contract we trade and cash in their value in early draft picks rather than overpay like the Treloar contract.

We restructure our contracts to pull salary forward for the bigger contracts we already have on our books (e.g. Grundy). Let's front end as much of that spend as possible so we can continue to load up to raid the FA market in a 2ish year hard strike when the rest of the list is maturing.

And finally, we need to stick fat as a supporter base. We missed out in this window - it happens, and the club probably didn't recognise that the window was close soon enough, but now it needs to be about building for the next one.

The path to being at peace with true shitness involves at least 6 steps.

Honestly, your opening post sounds a bit angsty, which locates you on step 1 of the path, which is...anger.

But then there's denial (step 2), followed by another spate of angst, so you might actually be on step 3 (anger reprised).

Anyway, I support your journey. See you in nirvana.

The path to being at peace with true shitness involves at least 6 steps.

Honestly, your opening post sounds a bit angsty, which locates you on step 1 of the path, which is...anger.

But then there's denial (step 2), followed by another spate of angst, so you might actually be on step 3 (anger reprised).

Anyway, I support your journey. See you in nirvana.
Your right it was anger initially now its just numb and i dont care what we do anymore.

i love the club to bits but theres nothing to be excited about atm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back