Which country produces the best comedy?

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen his stand up show but I can imagine he'd be great, he's funnier than Ricky Gervais whose stand up shows I didn't find all that funny tbh.

Ricky's great in some of his tv roles but as a stand up for an hour or two where he's just being himself he starts to wear thin after a while.

Gervais wears thin on me after 30 seconds....His cynicism is just gratingly annoying, which is why I never watched The Office....Not funny in the least.

Gervais wears thin on me after 30 seconds....His cynicism is just gratingly annoying, which is why I never watched The Office....Not funny in the least.

He's brilliant in The Office as David Brent, he's cringeworthy to watch but he's supposed to be, most of the the humour comes from the horrified reactions of the people that witness his awful behaviour, like Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers.

This episode on ABC2 the other night is a great example.

The US Office is nowhere near as good as it doesn't have that subtle British humour and Steve Carell is genuinely unfunny even when he tries to be.

He's brilliant in The Office as David Brent, he's cringeworthy to watch but he's supposed to be, most of the the humour comes from the horrified reactions of the people that witness his awful behaviour, like Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers.

This episode on ABC2 the other night is a great example.

The US Office is nowhere near as good as it doesn't have that subtle British humour and Steve Carell is genuinely unfunny even when he tries to be.

Yeah, Nah....Too much like so many other annoying, try-hard, wanna-be Alpha-male tossers, I've worked with in the past....Just annoyingly obnoxious A.F.

Last edited:

The US version has far better character development (due to it's longevity) outside of the 2 or 3 main characters. Dwight is an amazing character. There can be a bit of high brow snobbery nonense that British humour is sooooo much better than American.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who cares about character development though? the show was meant to be a snapshot of dreary office life, the original version did it so well. I didn't actually mind the US version, but it completely destroyed the mockumentary format by having it go on for so long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back