Which teams rely on a few players? NEW AND IMPROVED ANALYSIS INSIDE!

Remove this Banner Ad

drazah

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
EDIT: SEE UPDATED ANALYSIS HERE: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-analysis-inside.1171711/page-4#post-51419694

During a discussion on whether certain teams rely on one or two players, I decided to graph the output of some teams' best 22 this year so far*.

For brevity, I've included only the Top 4 + Sydney (Top 5 teams on Squiggle Flagpole), although I can show other teams on request.

upload_2017-7-19_14-35-56.png

Geelong rely heavily on the talent of their best 3 players: Dangerfield (135), as well as Duncan (107) and Selwood (104). However, their 5th to 9th best players (Tuohy [88], Zac Smith, S Selwood, Blicavs, Henderson [78]) are much worse than their counterparts in rival teams.

Adelaide also rely on their best 3 players: Sloane (107), M Crouch (104), and Rory Laird (104) are 3 of the highest performing players going around. But once again, that second tier is below the standard of their rivals. Players like Brad Crouch (92), Sam Jacobs, Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker, Hugh Greenwood, and Jake Lever (81) are not as good as the ~#4-9 players at rival clubs.

GWS clearly have immense talent all the way to their 12th ranked player. Their top 3 (Josh Kelly [112], Whitfield [101] and Mumford [100]) may not be quite as good as the elite at Geelong and Adelaide, but unlike those teams, there's almost no drop off until the 13th ranked player. Shiel (99), Greene, Ward, Cameron, Williams, Scully, Shaw, Patton, and Devin Smith (83) are all well above average for their ranking within the team. For example, GWS's 8th ranked player, Zach Williams, has a score of 92, well above the other 8th ranked players, e.g. Adelaide's Greenwood (85), Geelong's Blicavs (81), Port's Polec (83), and Sydney's Jones (86). And this difference is seen across all of their 4th-12th best players!

Port Adelaide have perhaps the flattest talent curve, with lower performing elites but better performing 2nd tier players than the pack. Their top 3 in Ebert (106), Wines (102), and Ryder (99) are scoring below the top 3 of Geelong and Adelaide. But their next four players in Wingard (95), Dixon, Westhoff, and Robbie Gray (91) are the best in their category, bar GWS. Their worst performers (comparative to rival sides) are in the 13 to 16 mark, i.e. Broadbent, Houston, Powell-Pepper, and White.

Sydney, somewhat to my surprise, aren't reliant on only Kennedy and Buddy as I thought they would be. Their top 3 (Kennedy [106], Heeney [101], and Hannebury [98] are tracking similar to Port's top 3, but their next tier of players is impressive too. On an aside, my boss just came in and I had to minimize this. I think she knows it wasn't work, despite the Excel graphs. Anyway, so Sydney's 4th-8th players are all solid and above-average compared to their rivals. These players are Parker (96), Franklin, Lloyd, Newman, and Zak Jones (86).

The reason for these differences is likely a result of the salary cap. If you pay for the big bucks to get the stars, you have less to spend on that second tier. What remains to be seen is which way is the best to win a premiership. History says that a champion team will defeat a team of champions, but history couldn't have predicted last year and might be useless again this year.

*Based on Supercoach scores, so comes with all of the flaws associated with that system.

Last edited:
Interesting that Geelong's crappy players aren't actually as crappy as they are maligned as being. The difference between their best few and everyone else on the team is still quite staggering.

Interesting that Geelong's crappy players aren't actually as crappy as they are maligned as being. The difference between their best few and everyone else on the team is still quite staggering.

They do have a few spuds that are getting games but are outside their best 22, like Kolodjashnij, Parfit, Bews, Parsons, and Cockatoo.

Be interested to see that myself. Dusty and Coth aside, I suspect it would be a lot flatter than most people would expect.

Wow, turns out Richmond are "relies on a few players" personified, with a steep drop towards the end of the 22. I had to adjust the scale to fit in Castagna. Be grateful I didn't include Elton (39) or Markov (33).

upload_2017-7-19_16-53-43.png

Wouldn't say we rely heavily on these guys individually but interesting to note that with Riewoldt, Membrey and Bruce all playing this season we are 9-2, whilst without any one of them we are 0-5. In 2016, with all three playing we had a record of 10-6 and without any one of them we were 2-4.

Wow, turns out Richmond are "relies on a few players" personified, with a steep drop towards the end of the 22. I had to adjust the scale to fit in Castagna. Be grateful I didn't include Elton (39) or Markov (33).

View attachment 393993
Well, s**t.

Be interested to see that myself. Dusty and Coth aside, I suspect it would be a lot flatter than most people would expect.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...min_salary=0&max_salary=800000&sort=2&order=D

Martin 114.4
Cotchin 103.4
Houli 97
Nankervis 93.2
Ellis 90.9
Rance 89.8
Grigg 87.7
Lambert 84.9
Riewoldt 84.3
Edwards 76.9
Caddy 76.8
Prestia 76.5
Astbury 73.1
Conca 69.7 (only played six games)
Vlaustin 65.3 (seven games)
McIntosh 65.2
Miles 64.7 (three games)
Lloyd 62.9 (eight games)
Butler 61.9
Short 60.1
Rioli 57.1
Menadue 54.9 (nine games)
Castagna 53.9
Grimes 53

The bottom tier is a bit lower than the other clubs, who hover around 55-60, whereas Richmond is more 53-57. Four to seven is a bit lower, tenth is about the same, sixteenth is a bit lower, Richmond are around 65 whereas other clubs are around 70-75. The issue here is who is included, are Conca and Vlaustin included? What about Miles or Menadue? I've put up every player who is a regular and added the other guys who have played a few games who have scored more than any of the regulars (lowest Grimes), haven't put in Broad who has played one game.

They do have a few spuds that are getting games but are outside their best 22, like Kolodjashnij, Parfit, Bews, Parsons, and Cockatoo.

I'd say they're moreso young, inexperienced, developing players than just "spuds".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait what?! Are you suggesting these 4 are not best 22? Bews and Kolodjashnij are, they're just not SuperCoach relevant is all.

You know we have been trying to tell you guys about how great Mitch Duncan has been going but all we ever here is Dangerwood this Dangerwood that all other players spuds.

I'd say that's somewhat true, but not because of these figures.

Even in the era of mass possessions, there's still plenty of players who don't average many touches and Richmond are 16th for disposals per game as a result of shifting towards a more attacking direct style of football. Castagna averages 53.9 points per game, a touch below Nick Smith and Parfitt (55.9) and 0.1 above McCarthy from Fremantle.

As for Elton and Markov, I'm not sure why you'd include them given they're not in Richmond's best 22. If we're including them, then you'd presumably also include Cockatoo who's 48.2 average would also break the scale.

You know we have been trying to tell you guys about how great Mitch Duncan has been going but all we ever here is Dangerwood this Dangerwood that all other players spuds.

If we're picking genuine wingers for the two outside mid spots, I'd say he should be right in the frame for All-Australian selection this year.

I'd say that's somewhat true, but not because of these figures.

Even in the era of mass possessions, there's still plenty of players who don't average many touches and Richmond are 16th for disposals per game as a result of shifting towards a more attacking direct style of football. Castagna averages 53.9 points per game, a touch below Nick Smith and Parfitt (55.9) and 0.1 above McCarthy from Fremantle.

As for Elton and Markov, I'm not sure why you'd include them given they're not in Richmond's best 22. If we're including them, then you'd presumably also include Cockatoo who's 48.2 average would also break the scale.

I wouldn't include them. Was just noting their very low scores!

Without looking at stats I'd say the Lions probably rely on their best 5 or so players the most out of anyone. Those being Beams, Zorko, Rockliff, Martin and Hipwood off the top of my head.

During a discussion on whether certain teams rely on one or two players, I decided to graph the output of some teams' best 22 this year so far*.

For brevity, I've included only the Top 4 + Sydney (Top 5 teams on Squiggle Flagpole), although I can show other teams on request.

View attachment 393954

Geelong rely heavily on the talent of their best 3 players: Dangerfield (135), as well as Duncan (107) and Selwood (104). However, their 5th to 9th best players (Tuohy [88], Zac Smith, S Selwood, Blicavs, Henderson [78]) are much worse than their counterparts in rival teams.

Adelaide also rely on their best 3 players: Sloane (107), M Crouch (104), and Rory Laird (104) are 3 of the highest performing players going around. But once again, that second tier is below the standard of their rivals. Players like Brad Crouch (92), Sam Jacobs, Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker, Hugh Greenwood, and Jake Lever (81) are not as good as the ~#4-9 players at rival clubs.

GWS clearly have immense talent all the way to their 12th ranked player. Their top 3 (Josh Kelly [112], Whitfield [101] and Mumford [100]) may not be quite as good as the elite at Geelong and Adelaide, but unlike those teams, there's almost no drop off until the 13th ranked player. Shiel (99), Greene, Ward, Cameron, Williams, Scully, Shaw, Patton, and Devin Smith (83) are all well above average for their ranking within the team. For example, GWS's 8th ranked player, Zach Williams, has a score of 92, well above the other 8th ranked players, e.g. Adelaide's Greenwood (85), Geelong's Blicavs (81), Port's Polec (83), and Sydney's Jones (86). And this difference is seen across all of their 4th-12th best players!

Port Adelaide have perhaps the flattest talent curve, with lower performing elites but better performing 2nd tier players than the pack. Their top 3 in Ebert (106), Wines (102), and Ryder (99) are scoring below the top 3 of Geelong and Adelaide. But their next four players in Wingard (95), Dixon, Westhoff, and Robbie Gray (91) are the best in their category, bar GWS. Their worst performers (comparative to rival sides) are in the 13 to 16 mark, i.e. Broadbent, Houston, Powell-Pepper, and White.

Sydney, somewhat to my surprise, aren't reliant on only Kennedy and Buddy as I thought they would be. Their top 3 (Kennedy [106], Heeney [101], and Hannebury [98] are tracking similar to Port's top 3, but their next tier of players is impressive too. On an aside, my boss just came in and I had to minimize this. I think she knows it wasn't work, despite the Excel graphs. Anyway, so Sydney's 4th-8th players are all solid and above-average compared to their rivals. These players are Parker (96), Franklin, Lloyd, Newman, and Zak Jones (86).

The reason for these differences is likely a result of the salary cap. If you pay for the big bucks to get the stars, you have less to spend on that second tier. What remains to be seen is which way is the best to win a premiership. History says that a champion team will defeat a team of champions, but history couldn't have predicted last year and might be useless again this year.

*Based on Supercoach scores, so comes with all of the flaws associated with that system.

Nice thread, OP.

Over time, continue to expand. I think this is interesting and will encourage an interesting discussion.

I think Essendon share the load a fair bit, but we do probably rely on Merrett's kicking from the backline a far bit. Interested to see Essendon's outlook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back