Who had the best Coverage?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2006
On the Outer
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
I mostly watched the ABC and flipped through the other channels. The ABC were quite funny with their poorly working and designed graphics and shonky production. But their political commentary was excellent. Kerry was getting flummoxed by the crowd noises at times even once blaming the "less serious" TV networks.

Channel 9 certainly had the slickest graphics and production. Ray, was a usual, trying to be everyones mate.

Channel 7.....omg the Deal or No Deal guy leading the political analysis. That is seriously a joke.

I watched the sky news coverage and flipped between the ABC and 9

Sky News have been pretty good this whole election campaign and they capped it off pretty nicely last night

The ABC won the night easily ratings wise. I flicked all of them and these were my observations:

ABC
- OBrien seemed very flustered by the noise in the background. He looked pretty silly by the end of it.
- The ABC graphics were too small and did not roll on enough.
- Their analysis was pretty good

Seven
- What did you expect - it was Sunrise mark 11. It was mindless fluff.
- OKeefe - credibilty, he has none
- They actually did alright with Hockey, he is a good performer. Kennett and Beattie were not bad

Nine
- Called things too early and thier graphics were too big.
- Ray Martin was as expected. I just thought they spent way too much time on the Howard biographer.

9 had the best graphics but they needed some sort of news bar to show what was happening. 7 did well with that but it was hard to read.

I was not a fan of the shredder for some reason

Loved the shredder.

Only watched 9 myself and a little of 7 and 9s was far better. 9s was slick,well produced,clean and entertaining with great graphics and on air presenters. 7 were messy with ugly sets and far too much crowd noise. I'll admit Hockey was ok and gracious and had it not been for the crap sets and general messiness would have stuck around longer. But really of the commercial networks 9 are the benchmark and from what i saw that's not going to change.

ABC were the best. Graphics and presentation maybe not, but analysis they were the best.

Nine and Sky all wanted to be the first to "call" it. The ABC were simply analysing it rather than wanting the ego boost of calling it first. Gillard was good. And the ABC presenter (not O'Brien but the guy analysing all the seats) was the best in the business.

Seven? What a joke.

I always watch ABC.

I'm a fan of Antony Green, and I believe the ABC are (correct me if I'm wrong) the only network that uses matched booths in their analysis of their figures.

Started off on 9. Couldn't stand the ENORMOUS graphics.

Then went to the ABC which I could barely hear, and ended up on sky.

anything with Mel, Kochie, Andrew O'keefe and Peter Beattie was no interest, so spent all of 3 minutes on that network.

I flicked between Sky and the ABC during the night. They were both quite adequate. It was a pity the ABC's information on the television coverage wasn't as up to date as their website which was quite outstanding.

I flicked between Sky and the ABC during the night. They were both quite adequate. It was a pity the ABC's information on the television coverage wasn't as up to date as their website which was quite outstanding.

Yes I noticed this alot. They would say (for example) such and such a seat with 20% of the votes counted......then go the slide which would say 6.7% of votes counted. Whoever did their graphics did a pretty poor job compared to the slick graphics on 9.

I didn't watch sky as I don't have cable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said on the other thread, I thought when channel 7 went to Jeff/Minchin/Joyce/Beattie/other dude it was entertaining. Not a big fan of the sunrise people or the dumbing down bits. Hockey was good though.

The crowd noise was fargen annoying, I tended to flick from 2-7 and Sky News. Ray Martin has passed it.

Agree with iceman and crowie, sky news all campaign have been amazing. Agenda became not to be missed television for political junkies like myself. It also gave us great live coverage of all the major policy announcements/speeches.

I enjoyed the "key seats" segments too.

Channel 10/ABC combo.

As Darth Vader gained more power, Howard lost his. Luke should have told all those storm troopers about workchoices.

Also the chanting for Julia and Maxine was enjoyable, even if Kerry was a party pooper.

ABC - easily the best though Gillard was painful to put up with for so long.
7 - very ordinary, saved in part IMO by Beattie and Kennett - Barnaby Joyce is an absolute goose!
9 - not that great but better than 7.

Beattie and Smith aside, I found some of the Lib analysts (Minchen, Kennett, Kroger) the least painful to watch. A special mention to 7's decision to use ultra-close ups on Joe Hockey... I thought it very tabloid and not respectful to Hockey (even though I'm not a fan of his). Kerry O'Brien was easily the best anchor, even if he wasn't all that impressed by the cheering. :D

I always have enjoyed Laurie Oakes work

I jumped between ABC & Channel 9

A couple of minutes of 7's coverage was a couple of minutes too much, UGH

I mostly watched the ABC and flipped through the other channels. The ABC were quite funny with their poorly working and designed graphics and shonky production. But their political commentary was excellent. Kerry was getting flummoxed by the crowd noises at times even once blaming the "less serious" TV networks.

Channel 9 certainly had the slickest graphics and production. Ray, was a usual, trying to be everyones mate.

Channel 7.....omg the Deal or No Deal guy leading the political analysis. That is seriously a joke.

As bizzare as it sounds I find the 9 coverage visually more appealing the "seats" graphic was a good idea - I quite liked the "Shredder" as well

I loved the ABC coverage. Sure their graphics were out of synch with the latest data or just plain didn't work sometimes, but their panel crapped on anything any of the rest of the networks offered.

Antony Green - the guy deserves an AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back