Opinion Who is the Roos Matt Shirvington?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 21, 2016
Australia's Most Haunted Town
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
Saw this thread on the AFL board "Who is the AFL's Matt Shirvington" and was drawn in by curiosity......Shirvo = Bouncing junk and all!

ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif

Alas not what I thought it would be (not the only one!) but interesting none the less.

In 1998 at the age of 19 Matt Shirvington made the Cth Games final and broke the then Australian 100m record with a time of 10.03. At this time it was considered a near certainty that he still had plenty of improvement left in him and that he would comfortably run under the 10s barrier.
He never did and 10.03 remained his PB despite another decade in the sport. He could never repeat this performance.

So which Roos players peaked at around 19 but never really improved or in fact went backwards?

Didn't see any North Melbourne players thrown up. (besides Nahas with references to more than one likeness!)

Mark McGough would be a good example from Collingwood.

Looking for North Melbourne players current or past who did their best career work aged 19 or under and either plateaued or got worse from then on.

Credit OP sonnywalters. (St Kilda) AFL board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It highlights the double standard when you compare this to the Tayla Harris photo drama.

Tbh i never knew what all that drama was about, i mustve been unplugged around then. But you mean to say it would be frowned upon if we wondered who in the female team had the best map of Tassie?

Tbh i never knew what all that drama was about, i mustve been unplugged around then. But you mean to say it would be frowned upon if we wondered who in the female team had the best map of Tassie?

There wasn't anything to miss, it was just a picture of her taking a kick, she has good flexibility so it was a full on crotch shot, I don't remember the details but there wasn't anything private showing, it was a photo by an AFL photographer and I dunno, she was objectified on social media so she took it badly and then everyone tugged on their pearls and said shame, shame, shame for finding a woman pretty/desirable... like a lot of women find male athletes.

If there was something I missed I apologise for my insensitivity to anyone offended, as far as I am aware, there wasn't anything more to it other than the media's over-reaction and double standard where women are free to objectify men whenever they feel like it in the media.

I mean, it is fine if we want to go back to the prudish 1900s, we just should be consistent about it. If women want men to change, they have to also change as well.

There wasn't anything to miss, it was just a picture of her taking a kick, she has good flexibility so it was a full on crotch shot, I don't remember the details but there wasn't anything private showing, it was a photo by an AFL photographer and I dunno, she was objectified on social media so she took it badly and then everyone tugged on their pearls and said shame, shame, shame for finding a woman pretty/desirable... like a lot of women find male athletes.

If there was something I missed I apologise for my insensitivity to anyone offended, as far as I am aware, there wasn't anything more to it other than the media's over-reaction and double standard where women are free to objectify men whenever they feel like it in the media.

I mean, it is fine if we want to go back to the prudish 1900s, we just should be consistent with it. If women want men to change, they have to also change as well.

Yep i know the pic, figured i mustve over looked something about it. Thanks for explaining.

I mean, it is fine if we want to go back to the prudish 1900s, we just should be consistent about it. If women want men to change, they have to also change as well.
Yeah, you missed a bit. The on-line trolling/bullying wasn't complimentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back