Who is the strongest player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about now, but Viney could bench 155kg at 23 when he weighed about 82kg.

He was going to be my nom in a pound for pound contest.
I doubt any player sub 83kgs gets close

Sam Powell-Pepper has broken more tackles than any other player in the comp this season & is built like an F'ing wrecking ball so I'd say he's a contender.

Look at the hulking physique on Jack. This man could snap corrugated steel in half. I wouldn't want to armwrestle him at a bar on a friday night.

61eb9e7d964bb54b07e63cd14aa1e1e5

d0115c6e12d3cb7c4ee9cb1b6568cc1b
edc10862d04e32b9881b2dedd9122d01

Look at the hulking physique on Jack. This man could snap corrugated steel in half. I wouldn't want to armwrestle him at a bar on a friday night.

Probably the best rig in the comp though I'm not sure it equates to strongest - could very well do though. Certainly would not want to get into a wrestling match with him, especially not infront of the missus.

If we are talking purely calve strength (which we should be) then Jack Sinclair

Brayden Maynard.

Sam Powell-Pepper has broken more tackles than any other player in the comp this season & is built like an F'ing wrecking ball so I'd say he's a contender.
Yep, he looked bloody strong yesterday. Caught Fyfe holding the ball and was very hard to stop for his height.

Darcy got him HTB at one stage and he game him a pat on the chest, almost realising he'd met his match in the power stakes, helps if your in another weight division though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poster boy for the "Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane", although I recon Jane would give him a bath.

Strongest does suggest to most of us bench press though squat too is a valid measure of strength. That said legs like tree trunks are likely to be a disadvantage in our explosive speed based sport.

Much of the power of a bench press comes from the chest, look for a barrel chest, having short arms too is a benchmark for the strongest. Many records are set with moving the bar only about 4 inches from chest to full extension. I imagine all clubs would have figures for bench press legends at their clubs, you would just need to fish around a bit. It would be interesting. Nice thread OP.

I've got nothing to prove it, but Marcus Adams would probably be up there

Not sure about his weightlifting exploits but Weitering would have to be up there? Built like a brick sh*thouse and regularly man handles blokes like Tom Lynch without breaking much of a sweat.

Otherwise I know 'The Big Tofu' Levi Casboult could lift some seriously heavy weights at his time at the Blues.

I have never understood the hype around one rep strength tests. I am not knocking what Viney did, he is clearly a naturally strong individual but give us at least 4 reps.
Strength standard for Olympic lifting, powerlifting etc.

No real world application for sure, point taken - but it’s the easiest way to measure raw strength potential. I’m surprised they let him do a 1RM, I doubt many S&C departments would let them do it now. Maximal bench loads have a very high risk of injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back