Who will win the 2009 premiership and why?

Who will win the premiership in 2009?

• Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane

• Carlton

• Collingwood

• Essendon

• Fremantle

• Geelong

• Hawthorn

• Melbourne

• North Melbourne

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St.Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Western Bulldogs

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong,

definately not the end of their era. And now they know their weekness (Forward line) they will correct it and come out stronger. Should be an interesting trade week for the cats. Possibly Corey Jones as a target??
Hawks deserving winners this year, but Were only better then Geelong in one area, the scoreboard.

Actually Geelong only beat us in one area, the midfield.

Hawks backline crushed Geelongs forward line, and our forward line beat thier backline.

West Coast in a close one

- Butler is finally over his groin & hamstring issues, one of the cleanest and smartest midfielders in the team - was a huge reason why we won the 06 premiership despite not playing a game until the middle of the year.

- Kerr is the #2 clearance player in the league, struggled badly with injury early in the season and couldn't get into any rhythm. Will have a change in game plan that will allow him to play more outside so he can go back to the run & carry style of play that won him over 60 Brownlow votes in 05/06/07.

- Masten/Ebert/Rich will add an entirely new dimension to the midfield in 09, much the same way that Joel Selwood was able to change the attitude of the Geelong midfield in 07. 3 quality inside midfielders who can run all day, have very good disposal and genuine footy smarts to put the ball into a good position for their team mates. Masten & Rich will battle it out for the rising star award, both are ready made midfielders that will have a big impact in 2009, Ebert has already proven himself as a match winning in 2008 - for a kid who made his debut as a 17 year old this year that is incredible, one of the best young players to come to the club in recent memory.

- Rebuilt forward line - Kennedy/McKinley/LeCras showed in cameo appearances during the season that they could contribute at least 40 goals a year each. All 3 are very smart forwards, something that the club hasn't had for the past few years (as Parrot will tell you)

- Bigger midfielders like Lynch & Staker (both 6'4 & 95kg+) who have no problem kicking goals from outside 50 (or 70 for that matter) and you have some goal scoring power again. Lynch will be pushing for the All Australian ruck rover position next year he is so strong in the clearances - add to that his footskills and proven long range goal kicking ability.

- Defense will be as strong as ever, Glass is a dual AA FB but will be playing a different role in 09. The game plan has been totally redeveloped to suit the new group of players coming through rather than trying to emulate the 06 premiership side. Glass will be playing the Hodge/Harley role from now on, letting one of the young key defenders like Mackenzie, Schofield, Spangher & Wilkes (all 6'4 & over 90kg's) play the lock down role.

- Running defenders will be back from injury, Hurn/Hunter & Jones were terribly missed for much of 2008 through injury and will be back fitter than ever in 2009.

When you combine the amount of young depth the team now has after blooding a huge amount of players in 2008 and combine that with over 14 current premiership players, the home ground advantage of Subiaco and a decent injury run then this will be the Eagles year.

The deadwood is gone from the club & all that is left is the super high quality players who are strong in the body and strong in the mind.

best 22

(serious post ;) )

Geelong.

They will be angry about this years performance, and are still the best team in the comp IMO.

Hell hath no fury on whoever plays Geelong in Round 1, 2009 ;)

realistically, i would say the hawks deserve to start as favourites but as we saw with geelong thsi year anything can happen.

i think we will only get better next year and if we have a good run with injuries i can't see anyone apart from geelong beating us (in the grand final). let's keep in mind that only one of our good players in crawford will probably not be there next year and the rest could all improve or at least have as good a season as they did this year.

franklin, roughead and lewis are all 21. birchall and ellis will improve. sewell, bateman, williams, mitchell and hodgey will be at least as good as they were this year. i think we'll be much harder to beat next season.

Hawks to start as favourite, Geelong to be sleepers all year and finish top four but not top. Cats to win GF. Hawks in 2010. (early tip). Clarko to bust gut to ensure that GC17 keeps their eyes OFF that number 23.

Geelong.

A maturing Tom Hawkins and the inclusion of Matthew Egan will be great for their structure.

These additions will compliment their great backs and mids.

I'll say Geelong. They would've learnt a heap from their loss against the Hawks on Grand Final day and would be desperate to trounce their rivals to show everyone how good they really are next year.

I have to say Hawks because we are only going to get stronger! Which hacks voted for melbourne? :eek:
its not only Melbourne that has no hope of winning the flag next year you toosbag, plenty of others to slag off because they have no hope including your load of very lucky shytes who only won it because Geelong couldn't kick straight

Hawks will get better
Imagine if the Umpireing was fair- There's another 5 goals
Buddy- kicks his average
Ruffy -the same
Croad, Brown,Lewis,Bateman,Ladson and Hodge- go in uninjured

Cant see the Pussies improveing
Hawkins needs atleast 2 years to improve the forward line.
Confidence sapped I see the Pussies getting knocked over a few times this year.
Maybe still makeing the GF because there still appears to be only 2 teams then daylight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I would like to see Richmond win, realistically it's Hawthorn. The Hawks are only starting their period of domination, with the players they have on board. The Cats will still be a good side, however get ready to see Geelong struggle during the course of next season. What we saw in the grand final was evidence that chinks are beginning to show in the Geelong side. I expect West Coast and Carlton to be the big improvers next season.

I voted for the Blues but i think this year has given Geelong an urge to win what they clearly believed should of been theirs this year. That being said don't take anything away from the Hawks except for hodgepodge.. They were exceptional throughout the finals series and beat the best side for the past 2 years. I think Geelong will show what they really are about or they will slump down.

Geelong. Every time they've had a taste of defeat (which they seemingly need every now and again), they come back and absolutely dominate everyone for the next 10 weeks at least. By the time of the GF this year they were getting cocky again. But now with a taste of ultimate defeat they'll come back so hungry Hawthorn will be sharting themselves.

I honesty think, geelong will be undefeated next season. Nobodycan match them at their best ... unlike the GF which I'd say was 60%

Haha lol waiting for the angry Hawthorn mob now.

St Kilda. Adding to a top four team with trades and have delisted players that weren't giving them anything to free up eight spots for new players that might fit the team.

Geelong will win the 09 GF after they address their forward line issue next season. Clearly the best team in the league, not counting their dissapointing GF loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back