Who's been our best small forward over the last 15 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stevie J isn't a small forward, then what is he? He certainly isn't a tall forward and the term "medium forward" is a crock of shit in my opinion. You either play small or tall. Despite his height, he plays small, therefore he is a small forward.

In saying that, I've got Chappy just beating SJ. Chappy being the best & most consistent snap shot at goal I've seen gets him across the line. Ronnie 3rd.

BTW, does anyone have Paul Lynch's exact height?

Chappy just holding off SJ and Ronnie. Always wondered how Ronnie would go if he had of played in the last 4 years, and whether he would be as effective or more effective than he was back inthe day.

Chapman - he's been in Abletts shadow all his career yet still dominated, we will now see he truly is one of the best in the game

Daylight

Then a tie between SJ & Ronnie

I'm putting in a vote for Stoker. Not 'cause he's better than Chappy, Ablett, Johnno et al, but he's a genuine small forward, the others are goal scoring utilities. I recall his break-out game at KP against Freo (at least I think it was Freo). Got a standing ovation coming off the ground. He's saved our bacon on many occasions (not least Hawthorn last year). And besides, he cops so much curry on this forum, I thought I give him some recognition!

I'm putting in a vote for Stoker. Not 'cause he's better than Chappy, Ablett, Johnno et al, but he's a genuine small forward, the others are goal scoring utilities. I recall his break-out game at KP against Freo (at least I think it was Freo). Got a standing ovation coming off the ground. He's saved our bacon on many occasions (not least Hawthorn last year). And besides, he cops so much curry on this forum, I thought I give him some recognition!
On that basis, Shannon gets my vote?
You are right about Stokes being genuinely SMALL

If midfielders can stand 6'+ in height, then SJ has to count as a small forward, and he gets the money from me. Chappie is a gun, but SJ's consistent high tallies are superior IMO. In previous eras, Ronnie Burns was a menace up forward, but hard to pick anyone else who was a genuine small forward as oppised to resting up there.

Chappy - better all round player; SJ - better "non-tall" forward.

SJ gets the vote.

Thanks for reminding me about Paul Lynch. Loved that bloke, just thinking of what he could have been depresses me.

You missed out on David Haynes:

Was he a small foward (I think he was a posing as a forward of some sort)?

And why did we trade Pick 20 for him?

Then again why was he ever an "AFL" footballer?

Finally, who was that guy? and why was he ever allowed to play in all 3 games of our 2004 finals series?

I've said it before. David Haynes only had one game where he was the main target, and he looked damn good.

I've said it before. David Haynes only had one game where he was the main target, and he looked damn good.

To be honest vinum I was having a bit of laugh...

The problem with Haynes was as a junior and on the training field he looked to do all the right things a AFL player should do as in running to the right places and the like. Therefore he became the type of player to be a Recruiters/Coaches favourite.

I agree with you his proper postion was as a leading forward, however the Eagles really presisted with him at FF because of these qualities and despite showing such qualities even in games he was never really effective - and hence they finally became happy to trade. I think we should of taken more notice to how they went from so firm on their No-Trade stance with Haynes to suddenly being open to the idea myself.

Once was 1997 against Port I was watching on tv up here and they stoped the coverage at three quarter time and went live to Thredbo and Stewart Dive,when they came back Snelly had kicked 5 and we missed it.

Haha I remember my Dad going absolutely nuts about this. It had been a while since we gave a team a smashing or even won a game (these are my dads words that I remember. I would have been about 10 and don't really recall). So we're winning a game against port and they change the channel to watch all these construction like workers looking down a hole for hours.

My Dad nor myself will ever forget the day! I think we tried to even buy the game on VHS but didn't have much luck with that.

To be honest vinum I was having a bit of laugh...

The problem with Haynes was as a junior and on the training field he looked to do all the right things a AFL player should do as in running to the right places and the like. Therefore he became the type of player to be a Recruiters/Coaches favourite.

I agree with you his proper postion was as a leading forward, however the Eagles really presisted with him at FF because of these qualities and despite showing such qualities even in games he was never really effective - and hence they finally became happy to trade. I think we should of taken more notice to how they went from so firm on their No-Trade stance with Haynes to suddenly being open to the idea myself.

Yep. Good call.
There must be a lot of footballers who get picked up because of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting when you think back at some of the names we tried so hard to replace Gazza and have some sort of consistent goal kicking going but remember some of these guys Brett Spinks (monster of a man), Haynes, Mitchell White (****ing joke of a pick up:mad:), the great McCarthy (great hands but never learnt to kick a ball), Jason Mooney, Brent Grgic, Marcus Baldwin and Adam Houlihan to name a few.
Yet out of them all only Johnson, Chapman and perhaps Ronnie Burns due to his consistency although I never rated him as a player only a guy that kicked freakish goals when we were down by 50 or up by 50, have stood the test of time

definitely though Chappy and Johnson are the only forwards on the list that have stood up and played well consistently in finals and in at least 1 grand final and that's what a living legend is and always will be now until they retire. More upside to Johnson's game if he can get through this pre-season and play out a total year at his best.....can't wait till the season starts again:thumbsu:
hey don't get me wrong, tennis is good and the NBA, NFL and soccer are good too but nothing beats this game!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back