Moved Thread Who's the best midfield trio since the 2000s?

Who's the best midfield trio since the 2000s?

• Kerr, Cousins & Judd

Votes: 139 54.5%
  • Montagna, Hayes & Dal Santo

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Lappin, Black & Voss

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • Ablett, Bartel & Corey

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • Dangerfield, Sloane & Thompson

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mitchell, Sewell & Hodge

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • Swan, Pendlebury & Sidebottom

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Get real, Taylor Duryea has more premierships than Shane Crawford, but we all know who's the better player. :p

Yes, but we're talking about the supposedly best mid-field trio here......Not just a single player.

Another poster made the point prior, that neither Ablett or Lockett had one either.

That's something different entirely.

Besides, the O/P list should read Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis, not Sewell, as he only played in 2 Premierships, whereas the other trio played in 4.

Make it Hodge, Mitchell & Burgoyne & it stacks up against any of those other lists of trios.....Yet another misrepresentation of Hawk accomplishments as a means to diminish our achievements.

Yes, but we're talking about the supposedly best mid-field trio here......Not just a single player.

Another poster made the point prior, that neither Ablett or Lockett had one either.

That's something different entirely.

Besides, the O/P list should read Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis, not Sewell, as he only played in 2 Premierships, whereas the other trio played in 4.

Make it Hodge, Mitchell & Burgoyne & it stacks up against any of those other lists of trios.....Yet another misrepresentation of Hawk accomplishments as a means to diminish our achievements.
Some of the trios listed are a bit weird, but I still wouldn't list Hodge considering he played the majority of a game off half-back. Hawks midfield: Mitchell, Lewis,... Smith? The truth is the Hawks were most dominant in their forward line and back line, anyway. Their midfield wasn't a defining trait. It was their counter-attack off half-back and their forward pressure. If this was a poll on the best forward line unit, it'd be the Hawks. But it isn't.

Some of the trios listed are a bit weird, but I still wouldn't list Hodge considering he played the majority of a game off half-back. Hawks midfield: Mitchell, Lewis,... Smith? The truth is the Hawks were most dominant in their forward line and back line, anyway. Their midfield wasn't a defining trait. It was their counter-attack off half-back and their forward pressure. If this was a poll on the best forward line unit, it'd be the Hawks. But it isn't.

Hodge dominated out of the midfield in our 2014 defeat of the Swans, where he won his second Norm Smith.....The truth is that he could play anywhere, as his 192 goals will also attest to....But he was best served for us as the general play-maker off half-back.

And as I said; A midfield trio of Hodge, Mitchell & Burgoyne stacks up against any of those others every day of the week.....All of em 300 game players.

I think to truly assess the best midfield it is 4 best mids plus ruck.
Add Cox and Embley to Judd, Kerr and Cousins and it fantastic. best 5 imo.
Add Ackers to Lappin Voss and Black and it's the best 4 mids.

Only 13 votes for the Geelong core, that's surprising.

Collingwood's midfield ran/runs one way, that's all out attack. Defensively, they are one of the worst in the competition. It is why their midfield kicks the bulk of their goals.
West Coast's midfield wasn't as deep as Brisbane or Geelong's either.
Fletcher, Embley, Braun compared to Ling, Selwood, Kelly or Akermanis, Hart, Power.

I think to truly assess the best midfield it is 4 best mids plus ruck.
Add Cox and Embley to Judd, Kerr and Cousins and it fantastic. best 5 imo.
Add Ackers to Lappin Voss and Black and it's the best 4 mids.
Might as well add the other wing in this case as well (which would be Fletcher?). Black/Voss/Akermanis/Lappin/Power/Charman wins that, by a hair for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 13 votes for the Geelong core, that's surprising.

Collingwood's midfield ran/runs one way, that's all out attack. Defensively, they are one of the worst in the competition. It is why their midfield kicks the bulk of their goals.
West Coast's midfield wasn't as deep as Brisbane or Geelong's either.
Fletcher, Embley, Braun compared to Ling, Selwood, Kelly or Akermanis, Hart, Power.
I'm going to have to ask you for some evidence for these statements because at least half of it is objectively wrong - we don't get many goals from our midfielders.

#fakenews

Back