The Law Whose land are you occupying?

Remove this Banner Ad

Owned by some landlord who inherited it from a dead family member.

We have an unhealthy obsession with making money from buying land for investment in this country that gets largely ignored.

If you dont buy into hereditary guilt then why are you still buying into hereditary land transfer? The answer is very easy if you dont buy into either.
Commendable sentiment Seeds but the future land of Utopia you dream of where we give all our assets to the government on death is totally unrealistic IMO, parents would just hand over money to their children before they died, I know that's what I would do. Not to mention I wouldn't trust compromised slimy politicians with my money, they are likely to give it to business conglomerates via subsidies, tax cuts and grants.

On hereditary responsibility/blame I agree with you, my ancestors came from Europe in the early 1900s, do my Children, Grandchildren and I bear guilt for 1788 and what followed? What about Chinese immigrants that came to Australia around the same time, do their descendants bear the same cross?

So what if we listen to the aforementioned people and they want their land back?

We've acknowledged we've stolen it and are unrightfully living on it, so I assume naturally the next step would be to actually address this glitch in history?

Serious question if you have guilt for living on stolen land, why don't you simply give it back? As I said, there are over 28,000 homeless indigenous people in this country; help out.
You’re begging a few questions there.

I don’t have the specific answers. I don’t feel specific guilt about where I live. Of course nothing is ever going to be set back the way it was. You know that.

But that doesn’t mean there’s no path forward that makes things better for everyone.

But that doesn’t mean there’s no path forward that makes things better for everyone.

You need to have a stricter meaning of 'everyone'. Someone, somewhere will definitely lose out.

It's the nature of negotiation/compromise.

do you believe inheritence is justified? I dont. We should get rid of inheritance. No more rich people passing down their wealth to their kids. No more people of race claiming land is theres because of their race. This is what modern australia is supposed to be about.

we should all be born with nothing and anything we get is through our own work and Not the work of past people we are related to by blood.

anyone who thinks bloodlines is a justification for wealth transfer is a racist.
I can’t think of any possible way this would work. You’re well on the way to Communism which has been tried and failed many times.

If me and my neighbour are born absolutely equal - by the time we are adults we will have our differences. We will value things differently based on our life experience. Naturally, we will impart these differences on our kids.

Maybe we could surrender our children at birth and let the state raise them equally.

How do you feel about commemorating a hiding on the other side of the world by a bunch of Turks in a stupid colonial war that didn't even threaten us.
My nan's brother was there so every year if I don't go to a dawn service I make sure I make time to remember him ... and the fact that when I was a kid 50 years later her heart was still broken that her favorite older brother was blown to pieces in a dumb * family feud between European aristocrats on a field in France somewhere.

That is what "Lest we forget" means.

White australia is going to be much more open to admitting wrong if the indiginous people speak about the positives and negatives rather than just focusing on the negatives. It makes them look like sooks.
What is positive about no longer having autonomy over your country?

Im in the Middle East and where I am right now has been claimed by the Egyptians, Philistines, Romans, crusaders, Saracens, Macedonians, Persians etc.

Yes, but the circumstance here is much different. We had the first 'immigrants' of 50k years ago, then the British Colonialists from <250 years ago. Not successive waves of conquerors over centuries.

Commendable sentiment Seeds but the future land of Utopia you dream of where we give all our assets to the government on death is totally unrealistic IMO, parents would just hand over money to their children before they died, I know that's what I would do. Not to mention I wouldn't trust compromised slimy politicians with my money, they are likely to give it to business conglomerates via subsidies, tax cuts and grants.

On hereditary responsibility/blame I agree with you, my ancestors came from Europe in the early 1900s, do my Children, Grandchildren and I bear guilt for 1788 and what followed? What about Chinese immigrants that came to Australia around the same time, do their descendants bear the same cross?
The wealth in this country is unevenly distributed and benefits Australia more than indigenous people. Its just theft. But its not like modern Australians aren't getting the same treatment. Most are too oblivious to notice.

Most non indigenous Australians have benefited from the invasion of this continent more than modern non indigenous people here. They have better health outcomes than indigenous people, better opportunities and their right to be themselves isn't usually questioned, unless they are multicultural and some Blair Cottrell ******* starts up.

So you don't bear any guilt for 1788, just the ongoing * over that is still happening.

I hope by then we live in a world where they go back to the state. My kids would lose out on a inheritance but they would benefit from much lower taxes on their work. They would also be better supported from the state if they couldnt find a job or suffered health issues. Not to mention house and land prices would be much cheaper.

We live in that world now, you are wholly entitled to leave your estate to the state.

I suspect that's not what your will says though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you don't bear any guilt for 1788, just the ongoing fu** over that is still happening.
Short of running and grabbing a seat in the Senate or House of Reps and putting forward policy what do you think I could do right now to make a meaningful difference to the life of Indigenous people?

Does anyone remember when the people were supposed to belong to the land?

Y'know, back before the Mabo ruling?

I absolutely expect to pass on my assets to my children who are of mixed heritage.

............and I dare guess that they are as Australian as any "aboriginal" which is walking around today?

Short of running and grabbing a seat in the Senate or House of Reps and putting forward policy what do you think I could do right now to make a meaningful difference to the life of Indigenous people?

Focusing on domestic violence would be a good start.

Really? Probably get to know some, like heaps, and get to know what their community leaders think about this stuff. Be friends, be involved in each others lives. Do taht and there is one big chunk of the problem gone and you've fixed it to the best of your ability. You've ended that division in your own life. (BTW I dunno you, you may already do this, so i'm not saying you don't.) If everyone did that we wouldn't have these discussions. And there is no consensus among them as to what to do to fix things. Different people see different problems and even people who see the same problems can see different solutions.

The biggest things we can do as a nation is listen more, open our hearts and act in good faith. We've done it before (a little bit), it made things better and it wasn't the end of the world.

Listen to those affected. Listen to people who know what is going on and what is needed in different indigenous regions.
Can you cite examples of these spokespeople, and show us where "change the date", "change the flag" etc exist on their list of priorities for these communities they represent?

But that assumes that all parties had choices at all times. That Indigenous people had a variety of occupation options.

Like, I could forcibly cut off someone’s legs and give them a million dollars cash. What do they have to complain about?

As much as I do acknowledge some unsavory aspects of "colonisation", the insertion of technologically superior cultures in to another IS a driving force of human evolution. It's simply unavoidable.

I don't commit domestic violence Snake.

Of course not mate, I was referring to an alarming issue in the indigenous population.

Does anyone remember when the people were supposed to belong to the land?

Y'know, back before the Mabo ruling?
If you still had anything to do with indigenous people you'd know that is still their attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back