Roast Why do so called experts continually underrate Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care that you care. I asked the question to understand why you care that's all it's not rocket science! I'm losing brain cells with each exchange in this discussion so best of luck with your view. The below sums it up nicely though.
Passive agressive much sco I'll let you have your point of view but..........
Wasn't after an arguement but your implication that I'm stupid warrented a reply. Thanx for killing an otherwise enjoyable thread.

At the start of the year I read Robbo's top 50 players (I know, I know).

Anyway, he had Bontempelli ranked about 11th and Pendles was about 20th. The comment he wrote for Pendles went something like:

"I love it when people say Bontempelli plays like Pendlebury because that shows just how good Pendlebury has been."

I read that a couple of times to absorb it fully and then I spewed up. Is it just me or is that a seriously insulting comment, as if Pendlebury is somehow honoured to be mentioned in the same sentence.

So hes missed out on all australian the past 2 years which i think is ridiculous but then i saw this on the afl website which defies belief :mad:. (This is my first thread so if I've done something wrong let me know) View attachment 376299
Don't know why this annoys me so much because it is after all a bit of meaningless fluff, but still....

It shits me

So hes missed out on all australian the past 2 years which i think is ridiculous but then i saw this on the afl website which defies belief :mad:. (This is my first thread so if I've done something wrong let me know) View attachment 376299
Who cares.
SoO is a pointless concept in AFL.
I want our players focused on our club, nothing else.

Anyway, he had Bontempelli ranked about 11th and Pendles was about 20th. The comment he wrote for Pendles went something like:

"I love it when people say Bontempelli plays like Pendlebury because that shows just how good Pendlebury has been."

I read that a couple of times to absorb it fully and then I spewed up. Is it just me or is that a seriously insulting comment, as if Pendlebury is somehow honoured to be mentioned in the same sentence.
The media is like the sewerage system, you know you need it, but it will always smell and be full of brown blobs like Robbo floating in it.

This about sums it up for mine. The media seem to have this weird opinion that Pendles isn't as good as he used to be, probably expecting some sort of parallel with our team itself. He was widely regarded as a top 5 player in 2010 and 11 when we were the best team.

I don't think he has declined, but no doubt if the Bulldogs slide out of the 8 this year (or over the next few), I don't reckon Bontempelli will get nearly as much praise.

Maybe it's just me but the amount of times we've heard/read about Pendles not looking right or carrying something over the last few years could have something to do with his current rating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This about sums it up for mine. The media seem to have this weird opinion that Pendles isn't as good as he used to be, probably expecting some sort of parallel with our team itself. He was widely regarded as a top 5 player in 2010 and 11 when we were the best team.

I don't think he has declined, but no doubt if the Bulldogs slide out of the 8 this year (or over the next few), I don't reckon Bontempelli will get nearly as much praise.
With Bont they won't stop drooling.... as he's from the Bulldogs they. Can do that without offending to many people.
If he was a Magpie, no way they would drool as much.

Just the way it is, always have to do that bit more if you're Collingwood.

Pop quiz, ask your non Collingwood people, ring the media "experts" ask them who is the best non key position goal kicker?

Leigh Matthews aside tell them choose between Rioli the Cyril, Eddie the Betts, Peter Daicos, bet next to none pick Daicos.

And Daicos was far* superior to both of them.
Nobody but nobody kicked as many miracle goals, and on both left and right foot. Nobody close.

* I deliberately used word far.

Maybe it's just me but the amount of times we've heard/read about Pendles not looking right or carrying something over the last few years could have something to do with his current rating.

The fact that he's still able to give just as much output as Bontempelli when he potentially has cracked ribs?

That could be it, but I'm not sure.

I kind of get that reaction to anything Robbo says.

Or, like, his very existence.

Or his nipples.

The fact that he's still able to give just as much output as Bontempelli when he potentially has cracked ribs?

That could be it, but I'm not sure.
If he was able to have as much impact with "cracked ribs" we wouldn't have heard a word about it.
Not even disputing whether he was injured or not but he didn't look right plenty of times in the past few years.

Whine all you want fellas.
But the reality is he hasn't been the same since fracturing his leg during the game Brions belted us at the G' in 2014.
Credit to him that he's managed to maintain great standard overall but his outstanding games are now far and few in between.
And I'm ok with it possibly being just me.

He's definitely underrated, even by many Collingwood supporters.

Part of the reason is his ridiculous consistency over the years, part of it is how easy and effortless he makes everything look.
Multiple times each game Pendles will do something that no other player in the league can do and watching him play has been one of the great joys of being a Collingwood supporter over the past decade.

He's one of the smartest players I've ever seen and interprets the game in an entirely unique way to those around him. His uncanny ability to paralyse not just a single would-be tackler but entire defenses while in traffic is unparalleled. He is undoubtedly the most creative handballer I have ever seen and it is perhaps this talent in particular I feel is most underrated - there is simply nobody who can pull of the perfectly-weighted handballs in transition offense that we see Pendles do each week, often forcing the receiver to run into space without breaking stride that they weren't even aware of themselves.

I could go on but will leave it there ... I think the most important thing is that we continue to appreciate watching him play while we still can, because there won't be another player like him.

He's definitely underrated, even by many Collingwood supporters.

Part of the reason is his ridiculous consistency over the years, part of it is how easy and effortless he makes everything look.
Multiple times each game Pendles will do something that no other player in the league can do and watching him play has been one of the great joys of being a Collingwood supporter over the past decade.

He's one of the smartest players I've ever seen and interprets the game in an entirely unique way to those around him. His uncanny ability to paralyse not just a single would-be tackler but entire defenses while in traffic is unparalleled. He is undoubtedly the most creative handballer I have ever seen and it is perhaps this talent in particular I feel is most underrated - there is simply nobody who can pull of the perfectly-weighted handballs in transition offense that we see Pendles do each week, often forcing the receiver to run into space without breaking stride that they weren't even aware of themselves.

I could go on but will leave it there ... I think the most important thing is that we continue to appreciate watching him play while we still can, because there won't be another player like him.

Agree 100%. Will retire as Collingwood's greatest player. Marvel at him while you can.

I'd have Pendles in the top half dozen midfielders this year. He has had some BOG games which have been some of his best work. Really stood up in a couple of games. Because he's been around for a long time and doesn't look like stopping soon, if he keeps his form up he's in the side. Been out best midfielder this year because he's still a silky Rolls Royce. Has stood up when we needed him to. Would more than likely be AA is it was done mid-season and IMO he should get the nod over say The Bont who's also been inconsistent this year, been average the last few weeks, cause Pendles has been doing it for a lot longer cerebis paribus.

I know if I was picking a Victorian team, i'd prefer a norm smith medallist over some guy who chokes when he plays away from subi ....

I don't care that you care. I asked the question to understand why you care that's all it's not rocket science! I'm losing brain cells with each exchange in this discussion so best of luck with your view. The below sums it up nicely though.
I value your contributions to the forum Sco so I find myself caring about the fact that that you care enough get into an argument and write a 4th post saying you don't care that some other guy cares about something you don't care about in the first place. Are you ok Sco?

All I'll say is that at the same age they're about neck-and-neck in terms of raw numbers. But to compare them now is weird. He is head and shoulders above him.

I'd have Pendles in the top half dozen midfielders this year. He has had some BOG games which have been some of his best work. Really stood up in a couple of games. Because he's been around for a long time and doesn't look like stopping soon, if he keeps his form up he's in the side. Been out best midfielder this year because he's still a silky Rolls Royce. Has stood up when we needed him to. Would more than likely be AA is it was done mid-season and IMO he should get the nod over say The Bont who's also been inconsistent this year, been average the last few weeks, cause Pendles has been doing it for a lot longer cerebis paribus.
But the whole Bont thing will,trump the real deal in Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back