Why do workers vote Liberal?

The depressingly funniest s**t I've heard throughout the pandemic era, is hugely anti union, flag waving coalition voters, complaining that characters like Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, etc made too much money throughout the pandemic.

None of them made even a mousey squeek when those same characters were disproportionately raking in billions decades before.

As if all those people became mega billionaires in 2020 and were broke before then.

And if you don't sign the contract you don't get the job. Back to Master-Servant times.

Combined with all the other rights stripped away from workers by the plutocrats, yet the rightist so-called "battlers" still fall for the lie. Con artistry par excellence? Or is it that so many are witless.

mfi3ieo.jpg

is labor supporting the concept of a wealth tax?

The Australian workforce is 14% unionised. How TF does that & the flat wage growth equate to Unions causing any problem on the Australian economy? Since the slow demise of a Unionised workforce we've seen home ownership shrink & the growing casualisation of the workforce.

Meanwhile the billionaire class has become richer. Does that make us better off??????

Companies that left were chasing the virtual slave labour in other parts of the world. No one can live of Chinese or Indian wages in this country.

Your view is the jaundiced view from the Conservative side of politics, pining for glorious Dickensian days of yore.

What a load of bollux. You have NFI what my views are. And Conservative

Instead of focusing on billionairs ( how manny people are you talking about btw? 10, 30 .... 50 . There will always be the rich......so what? It is the swelling middle and upper middle class across the world that will be the end of us.

The rising middle class and upper middle class IMO are chasing a lifestyle based on institutionally programed consumerism and striving for materialistic gain that really mean nothing. Spending their life in a pissing contest of who has a bigger better car, house, boat, 5 TV's, etc. And it is that section of the population speding their extra dollars on worthless excess is what the country cannot afford. (Wage increase) on many different levels. Economically, socially and environmentally.

The sooner we work out that 'less is more' and that also involves sharing wealth with people not as fortunate or well off the better we will all be.

Out of control, never ending wage rises isnt the answer.

Instead of focusing on billionairs ( how manny people are you talking about btw? 10, 30 .... 50 . There will always be the rich......so what?
There are 38 billionaires in Australia. Yes, there will always be the rich, the point is they should pay more, especially given how well they did financially out of the pandemic, while ordinary workers were lucky to stay in a job.

It is the swelling middle and upper middle class across the world that will be the end of us.
I don't disagree with you, but you have to start somewhere, and billionaires are the most egregious example of wealth hoarding.

What a load of bollux. You have NFI what my views are. And Conservative

Instead of focusing on billionairs ( how manny people are you talking about btw? 10, 30 .... 50 . There will always be the rich......so what? It is the swelling middle and upper middle class across the world that will be the end of us.

The rising middle class and upper middle class IMO are chasing a lifestyle based on institutionally programed consumerism and striving for materialistic gain that really mean nothing. Spending their life in a pissing contest of who has a bigger better car, house, boat, 5 TV's, etc. And it is that section of the population speding their extra dollars on worthless excess is what the country cannot afford. (Wage increase) on many different levels. Economically, socially and environmentally.

The sooner we work out that 'less is more' and that also involves sharing wealth with people not as fortunate or well off the better we will all be.

Out of control, never ending wage rises isnt the answer.

Bollox!

'Out of control, never ending wage rises isn't the answer'. Like where is that occuring? Wages growth is FLAT!!!!!!

Wages are heavily taxed, Virtually untaxed wealth growth is what is unsustainable.

'The rising middle class' WHERE?

'less is more', Maybe tell that to casual workers trying to rent!! Or a young family trying to get a house.

I may have NFI what your political persuasion is, but so what, you're written generalised twaddle which is virtually irrelevant in todays circumstances.

There are 38 billionaires in Australia. Yes, there will always be the rich, the point is they should pay more, especially given how well they did financially out of the pandemic, while ordinary workers were lucky to stay in a job.

I don't disagree with you, but you have to start somewhere, and billionaires are the most egregious example of wealth hoarding.
How would you propose we tax the wealthy? A wealth tax or income tax or GST?

how does that compare globally?

Bollox!

'Out of control, never ending wage rises isn't the answer'. Like where is that occuring? Wages growth is FLAT!!!!!!

Wages are heavily taxed, Virtually untaxed wealth growth is what is unsustainable.

'The rising middle class' WHERE?

'less is more', Maybe tell that to casual workers trying to rent!! Or a young family trying to get a house.

I may have NFI what your political persuasion is, but so what, you're written generalised twaddle which is virtually irrelevant in todays circumstances.

i agree with your post but the comment re rising middle class. We are seeing the greatest emergence of middle class globally.

if the gumment was half as keen to tax multi national as getting them to fund media mates it would be a start

that's easy said but harder to achieve as the electorate resist it

the only way to tax multi nationals is to increase GST like we see globally and in nations held in high regard by the left such as the nordic nations

i agree with your post but the comment re rising middle class. We are seeing the greatest emergence of middle class globally.

I guess thats true. But in seeing so many rise from abject & absolute poverty, how could one criticize them? Clearly we are all part of any problem.

The average 'Westerner' uses far more of the worlds resources than those 3rd world masses. I've seen it noted somewhere that if the worlds population lived like the USA, we'd need a planet 9x the size of earth!!

I think the accumulation of wealth by so few of the worlds people is a bigger problem. Lack of equity is a world problem.

that's easy said but harder to achieve as the electorate resist it

the only way to tax multi nationals is to increase GST like we see globally and in nations held in high regard by the left such as the nordic nations

lowering their access to govt contracts might have an impact. Seems a bit counter intuitive if government money comes from taxes, but beneficiaries pay little tax.

Having said that, most IT comes from Multi nationals - but some pay more tax than others

lowering their access to govt contracts might have an impact. Seems a bit counter intuitive if government money comes from taxes, but beneficiaries pay little tax.

Having said that, most IT comes from Multi nationals - but some pay more tax than others

we already have an overweight reliance on income tax and there is the forever debate about transfer pricing and jurisdiction

a consumption tax increase and income tax decrease makes for an even playing field between Oz and foreign entities

a wealth tax has to be introduced as well

we already have an overweight reliance on income tax and there is the forever debate about transfer pricing and jurisdiction

a consumption tax increase and income tax decrease makes for an even playing field between Oz and foreign entities

a wealth tax has to be introduced as well

A thing we really need is an estate tax. (Waits for wailing & gnashing of teeth. ;))

Without it the disparity between the haves & have nots, will continue to get worse. Future generations will find wealth accumulation harder & harder as wealth concentrates in fewer & fewer families.

The shrinking home ownership figures show whats happening. The bottom rung of wealth accumulation, home ownership, is getting further out of reach.

A thing we really need is an estate tax. (Waits for wailing & gnashing of teeth. ;))

Without it the disparity between the haves & have nots, will continue to get worse. Future generations will find wealth accumulation harder & harder as wealth concentrates in fewer & fewer families.

The shrinking home ownership figures show whats happening. The bottom rung of wealth accumulation, home ownership, is getting further out of reach.
Inheritance tax. Family trusts. Negative gearing. Companies actually paying tax. They're all significant.

My issue here is why workers vote Liberal plutocrat when it is antithetical to their best interests. An earlier post showed that you're are regarded as a casual worker if it says so in your work contract even if you're working full time.

Then there's the whole casualisation of the workforce which has further robbed workers of bargaining power and benefits.

Every wage hearing the Liberals fight wage increases.

They have removed penalty rates in hospitality and are working to extend the removal.

The tax burden is inequitable.

Underpayment of wages is rampant.

There are incessant attacks on unions while big business is given virtually free rein.

Robodebt unmercifully attacked the least among us with threats and intimidation while there was no retribution when it came to companies who profited from Jobkeeper.

Note the pattern.

I’m in Kooyong in the bit where we returned an alp state Mo last time not those in Kew Mont Albert wh voted for that assclown who’s departing in disgust

on a 5 min drive this morning I saw two front yard posters one independent one green. So it on for fryzo

maybe it’s liberal heartland that’s more Jack of these phoneys in power now. More so than in mortgage belt Ute land.

im rusted on labor and up till now there was no point being otherwise. But I am genuinely excited by the prospect of being personally able to tactically vote the phoneys out.

i reckon this has to be the go. Just vote anti coalition and get some working progressive democracy back. The more marginal seats the better, they can't pork barrel them all (both majors)

I see liberals who would like progressive policy but who would never vote ALP. We need to be practical here

Middle class PAYEE swing voter here. Allow me to brain dump why, to people like me, Liberal sometime seems preferable:
1. A complete disinterest in my work entitlements. Let’s be real we’re all doing quite well if we are full time professionals.
2. Labor are incapable of rejecting woke attitudes. This type of thing does not resonate with workers and is more aligned with the views of corporate “higher ups”
3. Sometimes it feels like Labor is more about our right to not work than our right to work and improve our own circumstances.
4. If our employer does well, we do well. Liberal are the pro business choice.
5. We are at a point in our lives where we prioritise the thriving and well-being of our own family over the people at the bottom.
6. Labor always come across as “vengeful”
7. Our colleagues who are loudly pro union and pro Labor are generally bad workers and unpleasant to be around
8. Our future and pathway to financial independence is now planned, and Labor seem more likely to derail it

Last edited:
Middle class PAYEE swing voter here. Allow me to brain dump why, to people like me, Liberal sometime seems preferable:
1. A complete disinterest in my work entitlements. Let’s be real we’re all doing quite well if we are full time professionals.
2. Labor are incapable of rejecting woke attitudes. This type of thing does not resonate with workers and is more aligned with the views of corporate “higher ups”
3. Sometimes it feels like Labor is more about our right to not work than our right to work and improve our own circumstances.
5. We are at a point in our lives where we prioritise the thriving and well-being of our own family over the people at the bottom.
7. Our colleagues who are loudly pro union and pro Labor are generally bad workers and unpleasant to be around
8. Our future and pathway to financial independence is now planned, and Labor seem more likely to derail it
1. Citation needed
2. Culture wars, an Americanism you picked up, not related to Australian politics, unless you think the rape scandal is some "woke" creation
3. Dumb opinion, nothing to back it up
4. Relate this to policies please
5. Relate this to policies please
6. Expand on this please
7. This comes across as some cliché bullshit, not buying it
8. Citation needed

These are all empty statements, very similar to the dross the LNP pedal.

1. Citation needed
2. Culture wars, an Americanism you picked up, not related to Australian politics, unless you think the rape scandal is some "woke" creation
3. Dumb opinion, nothing to back it up
4. Relate this to policies please
5. Relate this to policies please
6. Expand on this please
7. This comes across as some cliché bullshit, not buying it
8. Citation needed

These are all empty statements, very similar to the dross the LNP pedal.

Lol, funny. I see precisely zero demands for anti-LNP comments to be qualified by citations. I’m not going to do that. It’s a comment on the Internet, it doesn’t need citation. “Citation needed” is an empty statement in itself. If you think something is BS, just say why.

valid info which shouldn’t be attacked, just absorbed.

just wondering how the poster feels about state labor govts, who seem to tick the boxes. What happens at federal level then?

valid info which shouldn’t be attacked, just absorbed.

just wondering how the poster feels about state labor govts, who seem to tick the boxes. What happens at federal level then?
I almost always vote Labor in state elections. I don’t like privatisation of local services and infrastructure, and state Liberal are stingy with project spending (my profession depends on government contracts).

Last edited:

Some good points, but I disagree with 4 and 8. The LNP have lacked true vision for Australian industry to prosper in the 21st century, and they have actively sabotaged some successful ones.

1 - interesting, I guess we all (who are in stable work) have good entitlements that we just take for granted - but voting lib or alp they are unlikely to be wound back. (Work Choices a glaring exception that lost the election in 2007). It would be interesting though if the ALP went hard on reducing the casualisation of the workforce, and if that resonated with voters.

2. I agree. Especially places like Western Sydney, I don't think anyone cares how many female members of cabinet there are.

3. Not sure what you mean there?

7. I think this is a fair call - the loudest voices do ruin things a bit here.

Anyway good to hear your points, I hope the ALP are listening!

Back