Why do workers vote Liberal?

Remove this Banner Ad

greens are true believers. They will not form govt will a party that wants to revitalize the Hunter with fracking

the nats is different because they sold out their constituents for the lib agenda long ago

The Nats didn't sell out for the lib agenda. They sold out to the same donors (Gina and coal miners) as the LNP.

If you win enough outer suburban seats, it doesn't matter if you lose very few inner suburban seats. This is the ALP's mistaken calculation.

The Nats didn't sell out for the lib agenda. They sold out to the same donors (Gina and coal miners) as the LNP.

If you win enough outer suburban seats, it doesn't matter if you lose very few inner suburban seats. This is the ALP's mistaken calculation.

to get the outer suburbs you also need to out middle class welfare the libs. they dont give a toss about mining jobs, just their paypacket

your strategy is to get the Hunter and Gladstone voting labor, not Whittlesea

The cost of living is outstripping most working people. minor tax reductions doesn't make up the difference.

Wealth accumulation is where the biggest difference is. The wealth escalator of property ownership is beyond most people.

Even the benefits of superannuation are being attacked by the protection party of the wealthy, the LNP.
good post. there's also the attack on workers rights, benefits and security.

greens are true believers. They will not form govt will a party that wants to revitalize the Hunter with fracking
A minority government deal can include a red line on fracking. There's no chance of the Greens ever forming government with the Liberal Party, so if they held the balance of power it'd either be forming a minority Labor government or heading to a new election at which the Greens would likely be punished.

Interesting piece. However, disagree unions can't be the principal agents of change. They've managed it in the past.

A minority government deal can include a red line on fracking. There's no chance of the Greens ever forming government with the Liberal Party, so if they held the balance of power it'd either be forming a minority Labor government or heading to a new election at which the Greens would likely be punished.

Last time there was a minority ALP Government (Gillard) was probably the best the country has been run in the last 20+ years.

Minority Governments might be messy, but they're the best for getting things done. (Because for every priority you have as the majority party, you usually have to give one to the junior partner as well).

I long for the days of a non-two-party system.

Last time there was a minority ALP Government (Gillard) was probably the best the country has been run in the last 20+ years.

Minority Governments might be messy, but they're the best for getting things done. (Because for every priority you have as the majority party, you usually have to give one to the junior partner as well).

I long for the days of a non-two-party system.
That sounds attractive mate but Israel's experience would suggest it's not all it's cracked-up to be.

Atleast the low income earners got there’s. Those high income tax cuts will never happen. They are dangled like a carrot to keep high income earners on side. But if they didn’t happen during covid they never will.

someone has to pay off the debt. It certainly won’t be capital owners or low income workers.

One of the first things tony Abbott did when he came to power is impose a 2 percentage point tax levy on all the high income owners. he then took away their child care Subsidies.

they then increased all the tax rates on the super of high income earners. High income earners now pay taxes on money they wont see for 30 years.

they then increased the cost of uni courses.

make no mistake. The liberal party hates high income workers. They don’t want people rising up the classes due to things like merit and intelligence.

The Liberals don't hate the rich.

The Liberals heartland covers the wealthiest area.

The Liberals don't hate the rich.

The Liberals heartland covers the wealthiest area.
The Liberals base is the plutocracy. The wealthier you are the warmer they feel toward you with the ever present desire to make you richer. Fees to the Melbourne Club don't come cheap they say.

That sounds attractive mate but Israel's experience would suggest it's not all it's cracked-up to be.

Plenty of better examples across Europe, and Israel's experience is a case in point. Very messy politically, but been a pretty steady ship from a legislative direction point of view.

If the worst thing that happens is that we have to exercise our right to vote more often, it's not entirely a bad thing. Might keep people more engaged.

Remember that Israel's experience is also coloured by the divide over settlers and the Palestinian question, which is an incredibly tough issue politically and hard to find compromise on. Other countries do better with proportional representation since they're not so bitterly divided by an issue like that. Ireland's system is my preferred one.

More culture wars bullshit, the Libs idea of the big issues in the post covid world. This sort of nonsense is the reason Morrison was treated like he was at the G7 and won't be getting any more invites now that Trump isn't president.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nonsense, the Gillard government would have been miles more effective with a majority

In reality they spent three years passing bastardised and ineffectual policy that was unsatisfactory to everyone (e.g. mining tax)

Although it must be said, New England got a lot of nice new roads out of them

Nonsense. They passed a lot of legislation but as a result of minority negotiation it mostly was bastardised and ineffectual policy that was unsatisfactory to everyone (see mining tax)

Although it must be said, New England got a lot of nice new roads
As opposed to the do nothing but enrich their mates and engage in culture wars while ignoring climate change approach of the current government.

As opposed to the do nothing but enrich their mates and engage in culture wars while ignoring climate change approach of the current government.
Are you saying you think the Gillard government would have been worse if they’d had a majority?

Because that’s the point under discussion

The cost of living is outstripping most working people. minor tax reductions doesn't make up the difference.

Wealth accumulation is where the biggest difference is. The wealth escalator of property ownership is beyond most people.

Even the benefits of superannuation are being attacked by the protection party of the wealthy, the LNP.

real wages on the decline... people get sucked into tax cuts which doesn’t benefit them long term ...

tax cuts equals the Corporations and big business free perceived pay rises to its employees

Are you saying you think the Gillard government would have been worse if they’d had a majority?

Because that’s the point under discussion
You're saying that her government wasn't much chop, I'm just suggesting that when making that statement you might want to compare it to the last eight years.

You're saying that her government wasn't much chop, I'm just suggesting that when making that statement you might want to compare it to the last eight years.
so you’re suggesting that the government of the last eight years has been of such a standard that any government that matches or surpasses it is by definition good? ;)

I’m saying the Gillard government is not evidence to support the idea that minority governments are optimal - not a controversial statement I’d have thought

I’m saying her government is no evidence to support the idea that minority governments are optimal
That's fine I'd be interested to know in which areas you rate the current government as superior to their predecessors, that's all. Not a hard question I'd have thought if you're so confident of you're opinion. I could probably give you half a dozen reasons why I think that you're wrong.

Theres a few external factors at play, but if you look at the country now v 25 years ago it has been a LNP dominance at federal level. Since this time, we have had a small period of Labor government which showed they cared about the biggest worldwide issue, climate change. Conversely, the LNP have done s*it all in a progressive nature.

Since 25 years ago, wages have stagnated, employment has become insecure, the cost of living has skyrocketed, and the economy in the past 5 years has flatlined.

IMO the libs have a big thing on making sure any policy is a more death by thousand cuts than full blown work choices.

Helps when you have the big boys in NewsCorp and Fairfax in your back pocket, and have the ABC running scared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back