Autopsy Why you cant trust this team yet 23 point loss to Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

That is crazy. Reid is the least of our worries. And you think Stephens is going to set the world alight? Let’s face it - our mental prep before the bye mustn’t have been great. We have often been laksidazical (sp?) post bye. Reset, reload and let’s see.
Lackadaisical. Also nothing to do with being ‘lax’ 👍

Random autopsical (if there is such a word) thoughts:

1. Why did Papley start in the mids at the very first centre bounce?

2. We had an arrogance as C88 says, and the worst start was to be 3 goals up. The players thought they would piss it in. Port had nothing to lose. It would have been better if Port had kicked the first three goals.

3. I understand that players make mistakes. Skill errors. Lack of vision. I understand there are smart footballers and dumb ones.
But the A Grade, card carrying world class stupidity of Hayward is beyond me. A mark. 15 metres out at best. Slight angle. What, exactly, does playing on add? Should Heeney have told him to go back and take his kick? Possibly, but how could Heeney have anticipated that Hayward would display all the intelligence of a dog fart?

Random autopsical (if there is such a word) thoughts:

1. Why did Papley start in the mids at the very first centre bounce?

2. We had an arrogance as C88 says, and the worst start was to be 3 goals up. The players thought they would piss it in. Port had nothing to lose. It would have been better if Port had kicked the first three goals.

3. I understand that players make mistakes. Skill errors. Lack of vision. I understand there are smart footballers and dumb ones.
But the A Grade, card carrying world class stupidity of Hayward is beyond me. A mark. 15 metres out at best. Slight angle. What, exactly, does playing on add? Should Heeney have told him to go back and take his kick? Possibly, but how could Heeney have anticipated that Hayward would display all the intelligence of a dog fart?
I'm a huge Hayward fan but that was beyond stupid. Showboating at the highest degree.
It was touch and go if my television was going to survive after that - can't believe it actually did with the amount of stupidity on display on Saturday!

I'm a huge Hayward fan but that was beyond stupid. Showboating at the highest degree.
It was touch and go if my television was going to survive after that - can't believe it actually did with the amount of stupidity on display on Saturday!
Hayward is a worry as we already have a Wicks doing SFA (is that ok) just not enough output and is a lair at times. Should have gone before Dawson

Kicks the goal no one talks about it, we still had it locked in our forward line. Look don't get me wrong it's dumb and why are you playing on from 5m but 99 times out of 100 the goal is kicked anyway.

Do you honestly believe we'd be a top 4 team with Hewett and Dawson?

How would Dawson with his laconic play, and Hewett with his 15-20 touches as a defensive mid help with our issue of just switching off in games?
Simple. Contested ball winning.
And good disposal - Hewett by hand, allowing for better forward 50 entries. Dawson by foot, allowing for faster transition - better entries.
Put those two in, and take out Florent and IDK, Lloyd atm and we are a WAAAAAAAAAAY better team. But I figure you know this and are just up for a friendly argument. The only discusion is; Would it be the two biggest upgrades in AFL history? 😂

Hewett Elite, average, elite, average, above average, elite. - No need to say anything else.

1655689914761.png
Dawson Above average, elite, average, elite, average, elite. No need to say anything else.

1655690077172.png

TESTIFY !
Watching Hewett give off effective handballs to runners at Carlton is killing me. Clarke did that for us a few games two years ago too. Probably does it in reserves. Sadly Ladhams is our best at playing other mids into space. Maybe Rowbottom second. Is it the players, or the coaching that sees our midfield play so stilted and lacking in fluidity? Both? Seems to have been that way for years....we seem to get rid of or demote players capable of doing it....(Hewett, Mitchell, Clarke to some extent)
While JPK wasn't playing insane midfield time before his injury, I feel not having the option to throw the all time highest contested ball winner into the fray to get momentum back won't help us either

While JPK wasn't playing insane midfield time before his injury, I feel not having the option to throw the all time highest contested ball winner into the fray to get momentum back won't help us either

JPK is not going to help. What we need to get right is stop gifting teams runs. Too often it’s 3,4 goals in a row. That just shouldn’t happen.

JPK is not going to help. What we need to get right is stop gifting teams runs. Too often it’s 3,4 goals in a row. That just shouldn’t happen.

The runs start straight from the midfield. Our full time mids got given an absolute bath by Rozee who has played less than 10 games as a midfielder. It was his 6th or 7th game.

We are going no where this year with our best setup as Mills, Parker, Chad, Rowbottom because they can't stop the bleeding. Not saying JPK will be a saving grace, but can someone be physical to Rozee? Not exactly a 'bull'

The runs start straight from the midfield. Our full time mids got given an absolute bath by Rozee who has played less than 10 games as a midfielder. It was his 6th or 7th game.

We are going no where this year with our best setup as Mills, Parker, Chad, Rowbottom because they can't stop the bleeding. Not saying JPK will be a saving grace, but can someone be physical to Rozee? Not exactly a 'bull'

They will learn this young midfield. People on here have to remember our side is very young the fact we are in the top 6 is a good thing but we are 2 years away. I’m okay with that.

Simple. Contested ball winning.
And good disposal - Hewett by hand, allowing for better forward 50 entries. Dawson by foot, allowing for faster transition - better entries.
Put those two in, and take out Florent and IDK, Lloyd atm and we are a WAAAAAAAAAAY better team. But I figure you know this and are just up for a friendly argument. The only discusion is; Would it be the two biggest upgrades in AFL history? 😂

Hewett Elite, average, elite, average, above average, elite. - No need to say anything else.

View attachment 1428481
Dawson Above average, elite, average, elite, average, elite. No need to say anything else.

View attachment 1428489

My point about Hewett though is that we wouldn't have that bloke getting 29 clean disposals if he was in our team. We'd be getting 15-20 because he'd be used as a tagger, or 10-15 because he'd be playing off a flank. You're dwelling over a player that we were never going to have.

My point about Hewett though is that we wouldn't have that bloke getting 29 clean disposals if he was in our team. We'd be getting 15-20 because he'd be used as a tagger, or 10-15 because he'd be playing off a flank. You're dwelling over a player that we were never going to have.
No ifs or buts, Hewett is now at another club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my observation I think we had Mills & Parker at the same centre bounces too often on Saturday.

Swans mark of the week
Isaac Heeney

Swans goal of the week
Isaac Heeney

I'm realistic and I'm fine if it's a year or two, that suits the age profile in our side.
Yeah, but my age profile is I'd rather it sooner rather than later ;)

Yeah, but my age profile is I'd rather it sooner rather than later ;)

We'd like it every year but sometimes we have to step back and say you know what this year is going like I expected, inconsistent but fantastic at our best and that is a good thing going forward. Probably will take a year or two to iron out the inconsistencies.

People are ignoring the fact that our players do not realise they are playing a sport which requires you to compete. Compete against an opponent. Understand that when things are rolling your way that opponent is going to respond because they are out there competing too. For the very same reason you are. To *ing win ! So it stands to reason when they are getting beat they will respond and challenge you and up the heat. When that happens what do we do ? Now some people me included look at it simplistically and say we are cruising and just switch off. When you peel back the layers and be completely honest with your appraisal the fact is we lack the steel to answer the challenge and be harder for longer and hold that momentum and ascendancy and ride it to the line for the reward you stepped over the white line for. The ****ing win. We need to toughen the * up.

After that we still rebuilding ?

We should be contending then. We are at the last stages of the rebuild now, probably lack a few pieces, which we can fix this off season. That doesn't mean for two seconds I don't want to win, but if we come 5th or 6th that's okay.

People are ignoring the fact that our players do not realise they are playing a sport which requires you to compete. Compete against an opponent. Understand that when things are rolling your way that opponent is going to respond because they are out there competing too. For the very same reason you are. To *ing win ! So it stands to reason when they are getting beat they will respond and challenge you and up the heat. When that happens what do we do ? Now some people me included look at it simplistically and say we are cruising and just switch off. When you peel back the layers and be completely honest with your appraisal the fact is we lack the steel to answer the challenge and be harder for longer and hold that momentum and ascendancy and ride it to the line for the reward you stepped over the white line for. The ****ing win. We need to toughen the * up.

But we have shown that we have the steel to answer the challenge and be harder for longer. Against Richmond, against Melbourne.

So the steel is there, but if we're not using it, that is cruising and switching off.

If Wicks gets selected next week I can only assume that those incriminating photos that a poster last week joked Wicks had must be very incriminating indeed. Either that or he’s the luckiest SOB in the league. And don’t say, oh, he brings pressure acts - he surely can’t be keeping a spot just for that.
Exactly. * the pressure acts. I want to see someone willing to win the ******* ball and use it well.

Pressure acts are like those "tries hard in class" certificates.

But we have shown that we have the steel to answer the challenge and be harder for longer. Against Richmond, against Melbourne.

So the steel is there, but if we're not using it, that is cruising and switching off.
I think it might be a bit simpler.

We struggle to contain teams who adopt a fast ball movement style, using fast, nimble midfielders.

We play very well when teams are cautious and go wide.

Hence, why Gold Coast towel us up every time, but our record versus Geelong is superb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back