Will Daicos surpass GAJ?

Will Nick Daicos surpass GAJ

• Yes

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 85 73.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Never say never, and Naicos is going to be probably the best player over the next decade, but Ablett Jnr is a generational player
I feel like the word “GOAT” is almost a very meaningless word these days and every time someone has a premiership era side they want to flap their arms around screaming they have a GOAT.

It was ablett matthews and Carey, then probably a 10-15 year gap before ablett jnr entered the conversation.

Outside of those 4 in the past 60-70 years nobody else really comes close.

But in modern society the word is used way too loosely

GAJ took 5 years to become a superstar. Daicos is in his 2nd year

True but Ablett's ceiling was out of this world.
He always showed tremendous ability but when he broke out in 2007, he was the complete footballer and by 2009, opposition teams were dropping the tag and going to Kelly and Bartel instead because Ablett was virtually unstoppable.

Daicos is already one of the premier players in the competition but can he go up a few more cogs to the level not even the likes of Bontempelli or Petracca have yet been able to reach?

I feel like the word “GOAT” is almost a very meaningless word these days and every time someone has a premiership era side they want to flap their arms around screaming they have a GOAT.

It was ablett matthews and Carey, then probably a 10-15 year gap before ablett jnr entered the conversation.

Outside of those 4 in the past 60-70 years nobody else really comes close.

But in modern society the word is used way too loosely
GOAT post 👍

Are we as short in the midfield as people think?
Finn is destined to be a midfielder, not a winger (we have stacks of wingers in the wings waiting for a chance), XOH and Rowsten.

Perryman was going to play some midfield this year and if get in trouble injury wise he could easily go back in there and do as good a job as Bytel (or someone similar).

Im all for drafting a quality midfielder if possible, but Im not sure we need to go get a fringe mid fielder.
They both love/loved a little give and get …. So he’s got that going for him I guess

You've always back the guy thats already done it and has the runs on the board.

Daicos looks very talented and could be anything, but it is super hard to put a career together like GAJ, and a lot can go wrong or just not go super right.

So Ill vote no

Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too early to be having these discussions.

He is one of very few who have the potential to do it, but you need so much to go right. Not only do you need to stay fit and avoid major injuries, reach your own potential as a player but you also need a well run club around you to help you succeed.

Very few players I would give even the slightest chance of reaching GAJ, Daicos is one.

Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too early to be having these discussions.

He is one of very few who have the potential to do it, but you need so much to go right. Not only do you need to stay fit and avoid major injuries, reach your own potential as a player but you also need a well run club around you to help you succeed.

Very few players I would give even the slightest chance of reaching GAJ, Daicos is one.

He just put together a very impressive second season. Moved into the midfield and instantly hit the scoreboard. That in itself is a rare trait to have.

Just imagine if Nick were to play his best game ever in the grand final.

Different player. Maybe equal as an outside player, Ablett comfortably better in and under, maybe Daics will be more of a forward threat.

Ablett Jnr is not the GOAT, but defo a champion. Very strong and durable and top notch skills, inside packs, out wide, you could punch him in the head and he'd find his team mate. His vision was excellent and ego seemed absent: he did the right thing in each play and made the next bloke better. Never a one way player, dangerous with and without the ball, basically a perfect midfielder.

Even an armchair expert like me could see he was smart because he got himself into easy positions, but just as often it was by breaking a hold/early tackle or wearing a monster hit or gut running in the last minute of the game.

Only an average captain, his only real flaw. Hard to explain but he could have a blinder without igniting his team mates. Compare with Ling or Harley who seemed to lift their team mates even if they were personally down, and were always directing, (occasionally) berating or encouraging on field. Ablett was worth as much as captain or not, all you ever got was a champion midfielder and exemplary player.

Daicos is quicker and has at least as good kicking skills (maybe has superior long passing) and his handball is on par. He has more tricks around goal. Nowhere near as physically as strong and likely never will be, but still very fit and blazes for 4 quarters. Right now he can't play as well when injured as GAJ, his three games with the knee crack showed this.

In the packs Daicos dazzles with skill and pace and guile, but he can't smash through a two man tackle. Ablett did that regularly and was balanced enough to deliver it perfectly while he was wrecking guys arms.

Daics is an extremely smart player, and may surpass Ablett for footy creativity.

Not sure yet if he's a good leader or arrogant, he's capable of blindingly good team work when he isn't trying to pull off a one man show (which happened a few times toward the middle of the season eg vs Carlton).

Daics has started way stronger than Ablett did: it took the bald bloke a while to grow into his strength. I'd love Daicos to surpass GAJ as a player, be huge, but given GAJ's freakish impunity to damage and invincibility in packs Nick will either have to double in size or develop other aspects of his game into unsuspected heights. More likely injury will limit his output more than it did Abletts.

So hopefullly yes but probably no.

Different player. Maybe equal as an outside player, Ablett comfortably better in and under, maybe Daics will be more of a forward threat.

Ablett Jnr is not the GOAT, but defo a champion. Very strong and durable and top notch skills, inside packs, out wide, you could punch him in the head and he'd find his team mate. His vision was excellent and ego seemed absent: he did the right thing in each play and made the next bloke better. Never a one way player, dangerous with and without the ball, basically a perfect midfielder.

Even an armchair expert like me could see he was smart because he got himself into easy positions, but just as often it was by breaking a hold/early tackle or wearing a monster hit or gut running in the last minute of the game.

Only an average captain, his only real flaw. Hard to explain but he could have a blinder without igniting his team mates. Compare with Ling or Harley who seemed to lift their team mates even if they were personally down, and were always directing, (occasionally) berating or encouraging on field. Ablett was worth as much as captain or not, all you ever got was a champion midfielder and exemplary player.

Daicos is quicker and has at least as good kicking skills (maybe has superior long passing) and his handball is on par. He has more tricks around goal. Nowhere near as physically as strong and likely never will be, but still very fit and blazes for 4 quarters. Right now he can't play as well when injured as GAJ, his three games with the knee crack showed this.

In the packs Daicos dazzles with skill and pace and guile, but he can't smash through a two man tackle. Ablett did that regularly and was balanced enough to deliver it perfectly while he was wrecking guys arms.

Daics is an extremely smart player, and may surpass Ablett for footy creativity.

Not sure yet if he's a good leader or arrogant, he's capable of blindingly good team work when he isn't trying to pull off a one man show (which happened a few times toward the middle of the season eg vs Carlton).

Daics has started way stronger than Ablett did: it took the bald bloke a while to grow into his strength. I'd love Daicos to surpass GAJ as a player, be huge, but given GAJ's freakish impunity to damage and invincibility in packs Nick will either have to double in size or develop other aspects of his game into unsuspected heights. More likely injury will limit his output more than it did Abletts.

So hopefullly yes but probably no.

I actually think Ablett was quicker than Nick.
It's one of the great misconceptions about Gaz, but he constantly ran away from pretty much everyone in his early days. Not exactly sure how he went in all time trials. We had David Wojcinski at the top and I reckon Ablett would have been next in line.

I actually think Ablett was quicker than Nick.
It's one of the great misconceptions about Gaz, but he constantly ran away from pretty much everyone in his early days. Not exactly sure how he went in all time trials. We had David Wojcinski at the top and I reckon Ablett would have been next in line.
Fair enough. Ablett was deceptively fast given he was such a tank. Our speedsters would catch him sometimes (maybe they met him in the packs?) but it didn't affect him much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in my eyes. Daicos gets a lot of ball, but doesn't win a lot of ball.

He's a fantastic player with elite skills but there's still several better pure midfielders in the game. Guys like Petracca, Bontempelli, Cripps, Green, don't need other good players to make them elite. Daicos needs ball winners to allow him to do what he does, someone like Ablett didn't.

Mind you Daicos is young and might improve that area.

Might give Selwoods free kick tally a run for, but GAJ is still light years away.
76009207-12578065-Josh_Daicos_plants_a_kiss_on_the_cheek_of_his_brother_Nick_Daico-a-64_1696065335204.jpg

Not in my eyes. Daicos gets a lot of ball, but doesn't win a lot of ball.
Guessing you turned off the last 5 minutes of the grand final where Nick beats his opponent Lachie Neale at the centre bounce clearance to create the goal that won us the flag? Or the half a dozen games prior to his injury when he was moved into the midfield and dominated the clearances?

Guessing you turned off the last 5 minutes of the grand final where Nick beats his opponent Lachie Neale at the centre bounce clearance to create the goal that won us the flag? Or the half a dozen games prior to his injury when he was moved into the midfield and dominated the clearances?
He's an absolute beast, easily the best player in the comp and closing in on Gaz jnr like Kiwi in the 1983 Melb Cup

I make my opinions based on more than 5 minutes of footy.
Think from memory he was in the 50s and 60s for average clearances and contested possessions this year.

I make my opinions based on more than 5 minutes of footy.
Think from memory he was in the 50s and 60s for average clearances and contested possessions this year.
Gotcha , you based your opinions on the majority of the season where he played half back flank and didn't get enough clearances then

Back