Moved Thread Nick Daicos or Sam Walsh?

Who will have the better career?

• Nick Daicos

Votes: 173 58.4%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 123 41.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So based on your stats, who are the 'few' ahead of him with regard to distributing the ball inside 50?
Miers, Hawkins, Mccluggage, Lukosious, J Cameron, Bontempelli, Dawson, Curnow, Walsh, Pendlebury.

I'd have all comfortably better kicks inside 50. Being a good kick in general play is entirely different from being a good kick inside 50, less space and the need to be inch perfect makes some crack under the pressure.

Just as Bailey Smith goes from a decent kick around the ground to an absolute butcher inside 50, Daicos goes from an extraordinary kick around the ground to a bit blasé inside 50.

That's why Pendlebury has always been such a fantastic player, his kicking is exemplary no matter where he is on the field.

The inside 50 argument makes no sense. Nick played 75% of his game time off half back. Who are these jokers even attempring to compare Walsh's kicking to Nicks? When Nick played midfield, which was about 6-7 games this year he kicked over a goal a game and Im sure if you get the stats of these games alone his inside 50 goal assists will be right up there.

The inside 50 argument makes no sense. Nick played 75% of his game time off half back. Who are these jokers even attempring to compare Walsh's kicking to Nicks? When Nick played midfield, which was about 6-7 games this year he kicked over a goal a game and Im sure if you get the stats of these games alone his inside 50 goal assists will be right up there.
More people who make assessments based on stats sheets.

Astounding.

Well, that being the case, he would still be ahead of score assists and score launches then? Unfortunately not

Nicki is an elite kick though

Well, that being the case, he would still be ahead of score assists and score launches then? Unfortunately not

Nicki is an elite kick though
Again that makes no sense. It has to pass through way more hands to get to the forward line. Do you get as many scores from the kick ins as you do from the centre bounces? Come on I thought you had thought this through properly.

Again that makes no sense. It has to pass through way more hands to get to the forward line. Do you get as many scores from the kick ins as you do from the centre bounces? Come on I thought you had thought this through properly.

So why would backmen like Sicily, Newman, Taylor, McCartin, as well as mids like Walsh have more score launches?

I don't have to think anything through, it's just factual 😉

So why would backmen like Sicily, Newman, Taylor, McCartin, as well as mids like Walsh have more score launches?

I don't have to think anything through, it's just factual 😉
Mostly because you dont understand the term "score launches" and what that is. If you did you would understand why its not the best stat to apply to Nick.

Very clear what it means, but it's only one aspect of the game
Sicily, Taylor, McCartin are interceptors so thats why they get "score launches"
Midfielders win clearences which is why they get "score launches".

Score Launch: Scoring chains launched by an intercept possession, free kick, hitout-to-advantage or clearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe if you watched him play you would be aware of where he played and therefore maybe figure out why comparing inside 50 stats is irrelevant.
I watched him play plenty. Ran around unchecked most of the year and used the ball extremely well when in open space but when he had close oppo attention later in the season or he was kicking inside 50 he was pretty blasé.

Someone else said he's the best kick inside 50 in the comp, by nearly every metric available he's not even close to it. Kicking off the half back line is completely different to hitting a target inside 50, everyone who plays footy knows that.

Sicily, Taylor, McCartin are interceptors so thats why they get "score launches"

Score Launch: Scoring chains launched by an intercept possession, free kick, hitout-to-advantage or clearance.

So what you're saying is Daicos does nothing to help intercept or turn over the ball in dangerous positions and therefore his score launches are low? I'm shocked

I watched him play plenty. Ran around unchecked most of the year and used the ball extremely well when in open space but when he had close oppo attention later in the season or he was kicking inside 50 he was pretty blasé.

Someone else said he's the best kick inside 50 in the comp, by nearly every metric available he's not even close to it. Kicking off the half back line is completely different to hitting a target inside 50, everyone who plays footy knows that.
Dont think he has played enough midfield to make a judgement on his inside 50 kicking so its a bit of an early call to make that judgement call yet imo either way.

So what you're saying is Daicos does nothing to help intercept or turn over the ball in dangerous positions and therefore his score launches are low? I'm shocked
Intercepting is not his thing. It doesnt mean he doesnt help score in other ways. Set up 2 goals in the grand final and almost kicked 2 more. He is elite at what he does.

Dont think he has played enough midfield to make a judgement on his inside 50 kicking so its a bit of an early call to make that judgement call yet imo either way.
Don't think many would disagree with that other than Fadge and his band of intellectual bananas who claim he's the 2nd coming of Christ and everything he does is impeccable.

For the time being I have the group I named above ahead of him in that part of the game because they have more runs on the board hitting inside 50 targets. Every chance Nick ends up just as good.

Newman, Houston, Richards, Jake Lloyd, Sinclair?

All small or mid size players, predominantly playing as defenders

Newman, Houston, Richards, Jake Lloyd, Sinclair?

All small or mid size players, predominantly playing as defenders
They must all intercept mark otherwise they wouldnt have the stat. That or they win clearences as part time mids. There are plenty of other scoring stats. "Score launch" is just one of them. Nick's marking is his weakest trait. His clearences are good when he is in the midfield but thats only been for 6-7 games in his almost 50 game career.

Think my first comment in this thread some time ago was that, Walsh gets more of the hard ball, while Daicos gets more on the outside. Think that's undisputable

Daicos is better by foot, but he should be considering he has more space an less congestion to deliver by foot
Thats all true. However Nick does very well in clearences when given midfield time.

They must all intercept mark otherwise they wouldnt have the stat. That or they win clearences as part time mids. There are plenty of other scoring stats. "Score launch" is just on of them. Nick's marking is his weakest trait.

It's not just marks and there is a reason he is down on intercepts overall, as he doesn't really put himself in congestion or packs

Which is fine as you want him on the outside as a distributor

Both players are guns for different reasons, any side would be happy with either

Last year Daicos had a better strike rate with centre clearances v CBAs

Daicos 13.65%
Walsh 7.36%

Walsh better at round the ground clearances
Walsh is a star. It was no suprise that Carlton played better when he came back latter in the season. Although he struggled early with his back if I remember correctly.

Back