Will you be working on Australia Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

igon value

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Saturday Paper currently have a campaign to boycott Australia Day. Part of that campaign involves encouraging firms to ask their workers to forgo the public holiday, in exchange for an extra day of leave:

The Saturday Paper continues to contact artists and performers to encourage them to pull out of Australia Day concerts, to speak to businesses to encourage their staff to work the holiday, to meet with organisers and encourage them to reconsider the timing of their events.
The law firm Marque took a vote of its staff to join the boycott, and it carried overwhelmingly. The practice will now close on January 27 instead.

A number of firms have done the same, and they are listed in the article.

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/2016/12/24/join-the-australia-day-boycott/14824980004124

So a show of hands - who will be working on Australia Day as a protest against celebrating dispossession?

No. Have no choice. Unless there is some one off casual day work to do. However I am likely to be umpiring and recovering from a hangover from the progressive dinner the night before.

I am pretty apathetic to be honest. I have celebrated Australia Day on numerous occassions. Although I would not be against the moving of the day.

I am pretty apathetic to be honest. I have celebrated Australia Day on numerous occassions. Although I would not be against the moving of the day.
Same; unless you're some history fanatic who holds the date of the First Fleet landing close to your heart, I don't understand getting upset at the prospect of moving it. Hell, it's only been a public holiday for the past 20 odd years. I enjoy the day off in summer, I enjoy the Hottest 100, but I would enjoy it equally on any other day. As for the thread, Thursday is my regular day off, so won't make a difference to me, other than I can invite some friends round who would otherwise be working.

It certainly has turned into a massive piss up these days. It barely registered on the scale when I was younger. Australia Day honours lists and Citizenship ceremonies and barbeques was about it for the day.

I'll be working, just another day for me.

Invasion day....

15966194_1841254249492446_7880653188160471357_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It certainly has turned into a massive piss up these days. It barely registered on the scale when I was younger. Australia Day honours lists and Citizenship ceremonies and barbeques was about it for the day.

I'll be working, just another day for me.
I sat out most of the Howard government overseas, and when I came back the manner in which the day was marked had changed noticeably, rather than a commemoration, it had become a celebration.

I sat out most of the Howard government overseas, and when I came back the manner in which the day was marked had changed noticeably, rather than a commemoration, it had become a celebration.

For the young blokes that I work with it almost ranks in front of NYE. There's always a fight over who gets leave for it.

I'm going to the cricket.
What does everyone think of the new lamb ad btw?
I watched the ad yesterday and I thought it was pretty bad on two counts that tend to contradict each other. Firstly, it was a bit lame. I'm all for inclusion but it was a little too weak. However, the attempt to be so inclusive was strongly undermined by the start of the ad. I cringed so so hard when I saw the depiction of whites being greeted by the indigenous Australians. I thought it was really bad taste to downplay the massacring that really occurred and reimagine it as some sort of happy barbecue. I really found that to be quite disrespectful and a whitewashing of history.

I don't buy into the Invasion Day bs as well.

If your ancestors were dispossessed, slaughtered and had their land and their children stolen, would you celebrate the date on which that all began?Obviously, you wouldn’t. It’s simply insane that anyone could expect Aboriginal people to embrace January 26 as the national day, given what it means to them.

The most common refrain against this is, ‘It’s time to move on’. Here’s the problem with that statement.
If you apply the same logic to non-Aboriginal Australia, then we should stop commemorating Anzac Day. ‘It’s time to move on. The wars were years ago.’
https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/26/c...lia-day-is-so-offensive-to-aboriginal-people/[/QUOTE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back