Review Win’s a win: Freo in a grind over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

What the hell do you even make of that abomination of a game ?

Horrific display of skills by both teams and one team sucked a little less than the other and gets 4 points out of it

Massive gap in class when measured against the good teams but we are a very good running team

Suspect we have a big reality check looming on the horizon
1711760195677.png

Time to bring out the Troll hunting pigs?

JL made it clear over preseason that while our method into the fwdline was a work in progress, there were two areas we could address for instant improvement: our work at the coalface and better cohesion/effort defensively. We spent 2023 trying to become the Harlem Globetrotters and we forgot what had made us so good the year prior - stoppages and defence. Play to your strengths and keep it simple (stupid) and tbh that's exactly what we've done. big tick for JL so far imo.
Type of press conference I want to see.
Straight up.
Pleased to know this is the message to the players ,
dont get ahead of ourselves and improvement yet to come.
YOKAI!

OgKUENc.png
First Dolly the sheep
Now MJ
When do we roll out the Pav reincarnate?

Disagree with Hughes being solid. He’s the biggest weakness down back, Draper already looks far better only after a couple of runs. Draper in for Hugh’s (sub), Cox heads back to defense when back, sounds pretty formidable!
There was a moment with Hughes on Rankin one on one inside their fifty near the boundary, I was expecting the worst but Hughes beat him and I think got the ball out for a throw in, job done!

One point that was on my mind that hasn't been mentioned is that last night's game was won by different players to the first two rounds. Again, there were no passengers, which was great to see, but this time it was Young who really stepped up and it wasn't on the shoulders of Jackson or Serong.

Everyone is contributing and there's a different standout in each week so far. That's a massive positive.

Worner is one who will put some pressure on but for mine he has done enough to keep his spot and the others will need to push him out through solid consistent form in WAFL.
As much as Draper has blown me away with his play, I just think the fact that Hughes can play above his size and help the talls in sticky situations will mean Hughes keeps his spot until Chapman comes back. It's cruel for Worner who hardly put a foot wrong against Brisbane before being concussed, but them's the breaks.

6 easy goals missed,convert just 4 of those sitters and we'd be talking about a 10 goal win.

Kept the highest scoring team of 2023 to 4 goals.

It wasn't pretty but the midfield dominated some mature bodies, the defence was first rate and the forwards were constantly presenting. We may not be a premiership favourite but we're not doing a lot wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JL made it clear over preseason that while our method into the fwdline was a work in progress, there were two areas we could address for instant improvement: our work at the coalface and better cohesion/effort defensively. We spent 2023 trying to become the Harlem Globetrotters and we forgot what had made us so good the year prior - stoppages and defence. Play to your strengths and keep it simple (stupid) and tbh that's exactly what we've done. big tick for JL so far imo.

One point that was on my mind that hasn't been mentioned is that last night's game was won by different players to the first two rounds. Again, there were no passengers, which was great to see, but this time it was Young who really stepped up and it wasn't on the shoulders of Jackson or Serong.

Everyone is contributing and there's a different standout in each week so far. That's a massive positive.

I think these are the two biggest positives to come from the first 3 weeks. A re-emphasised team defence to force repeat scoring shots and every player stepping up at different times winning more clearances. It has been very pleasing to watch. Hearing JL talk a bit it's actually quite reassuring that he is extremely tactically astute and you could see it with the subtle changes made in the second quarters in the past two weeks. Players are running with much more confidence in their roles.

The biggest, most undeniable reason for worry however is execution: Still far too many players missing easy kicks and worse still very easy handpasses, too many fumbles and not enough 1 grab plays under pressure. You don't win many big games against good teams without fixing that up. The positive to this however is that if the simple things are tidied up it'll probably add 3-5 goals a game in and of itself.

I'm...not sold. To quote Ross Lyon (who admittedly stole it from Leigh Matthews): It's never as good nor as bad as it seems. It's enjoyable to be 3-0 however.

Longmuir v Nicks debate is settled then.

Adelaide are frauds and nicks is overrated for a side that haven't had a signature win on the road.

JL has had a few already and won a final.
I agree, this is what I have been telling people. Nick's sitting at 33.7% wins for his coaching career, and they just signed him for a further 2 years. Perhaps the media should be looking at that rather than JL's 1 year extension with 50.6% wins.

Not enough love for Young, his transition into the midfield hasn't been easy and he really looked like he belonged today. He's not fast or flashy but he doesn't need to be, he's naturally strong and the contested ball gets will increase - his disposal skills will come in handy when we're really contending.
Young is an absolute Jet. J-E-T.

Hughes was okay. I dont rate him highly but he he shouldn't be in the firing line.
Ok? Best that could be said of Hughes' game yesterday was irrelevant. His involvements were poor and highly infrequent. Hopefully he was doing a shut out job on Rachelle Rachelle or the Pedlar or somebody.

I do like Emmett but being subbed off today if Simpson can kick 3+ tomorrow he could come into the side

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Emmett was more than solid. Very busy early, helping apply pressure and linking up in some good transitions. Began to run out of puff as the game wore on. It'd be pretty tough cut to apply.

I’m stoked with how we are playing and being 3-0 also a realist that if we make finals and go out straight away it’s still a successful year because we just needed to see the improvement.

Winning the way we did last night is a game we lose 9/10 in the past it seems like this group is ruthless for the first time since 2013-2015 JL deserves credit for how smart his changes are mid game and how he’s got the players to change things themselves because that shows signs of a very good side.

We will lose games this year and we will look like crap that’s just the signs of a young side I feel like goal is finals this year top 4 next year and flag 2026 feel like we will struggle against some teams until Tracey amiss Jackson get to that 23-25 years old and can be a force on the comp

Someone said Emmett to be dropped? Laughable smith had 6 touches in the first before Emmett went on him and 8 after he got subbed he finished with 22 for the game he’s doing his role perfectly

Im excited for next week vs Carlton the only team I hate more than the eagles just hope we don’t have to play 18 v 22 and there 2 flogs in the fwd line get free kick after free kick in the goal square

Remove this Banner Ad

Back