Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs killed it.
Dunkley and Collins for pick 12.
Locked in a ready to go full back for the next 12 years.
Dunkley will be a gun if he can clean up his kicking. His year was shrouded by injury and not getting a consistent run in the same position and team. Reckon he will be a best 22 mid for the dogs.
Dunkley's ball drop looks pretty shocking. It won't be easy to clean up. Not to say he won't become a good player.

Dunkley's ball drop looks pretty shocking. It won't be easy to clean up. Not to say he won't become a good player.
Saw him play a game for Richmond reserves. Kicking was rushed and scrappy but didn't look a major issue. If he can improve it, he will be at worst a best 22 player for the dogs. Good pick up at that pick.

His very much a Country kid spends all his time doing things like hunting camping and fishing in Corio bay.
With his best mate Darcy Parish.
You take a kid like that away from everything he does of course his going to get homesick.
I would have thought that country kids were less likely to have go home factor tbh.

I would have thought that country kids were less likely to have go home factor tbh.
Yep, based off history VM and those within about 100km of Melbourne are by far the most likely to head home from the northern states.

Must be on the same stuff as Carlisle picking the Saints over the Hawks.

Can't argue with Essendon when it comes to drugs, they are the experts if only they would keep records..personally I would not trade with them and I would be concerned if my son was drafted by them given their culture

Clear winners in my head are Carlton (duh), Brisbane, Essendon, North Melbourne and West Coast. Other good preformers are Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

Clear winners in my head are Carlton (duh), Brisbane, Essendon, North Melbourne and West Coast. Other good preformers are Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

Why West Coast? They had nothing picks. Those players recruited will probably fail to get any games and be de-listed in 2 years. They're not bargains if they don't play.

Bulldogs killed it.
Dunkley and Collins for pick 12.
Locked in a ready to go full back for the next 12 years.
Dunkley will be a gun if he can clean up his kicking. His year was shrouded by injury and not getting a consistent run in the same position and team. Reckon he will be a best 22 mid for the dogs.
Austin Lucy and Mathew Watson were supposedly the same "ready to go" fullbacks, weren't they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why West Coast? They had nothing picks. Those players recruited will probably fail to get any games and be de-listed in 2 years. They're not bargains if they don't play.
Luke Partington is a Luke Shuey carbon copy. Can run out of stoppages, kick goals and create some serious drive. Will play.

Tom Cole is a versitile as they come and hes extremely solid. At VFL level he has looked the most comfortable. He can win his own footy, has good footskills and can play practically everywhere. Will play.

Kurt Mutimer is a elite kicking midfielder who can play off half back. For Vic Country he was a solid halfback for them, helping the win the championships with his drive and skill. Then at Dandenong he played as a balanced midfielder and made his name there. Will play.

Matthew Allen is a second tall forward who can clunk everything. Will take time but he has the skill set to maybe play. 50/50

Hawthorn would not have drafted him if he was broken, so I'm thinking the prognosis on his leg must've been pretty positive. He certainly looks talented enough to make it if he can get out there.

Much the same injury as both Stringer & McCarthy suffered & both have recovered fully to recapture their outstanding junior form.

We need to be patient by taking a leaf out of both those club's recovery philosophies & management books....A full years rest from playing to allow maximum healing & knitting, while still working on his fitness, conditioning & game-plan savvy.

Austin Lucy and Mathew Watson were supposedly the same "ready to go" fullbacks, weren't they?
Austin Lucy was a speculative pick in the fifth round of the 2005 draft. Clubs were rightly concerned about his reach and ability to stand on the bigger players.

Matthew Watson always had questions around his pace and this found him out when he got to Carlton. He was taken early, one of several failed Carlton first rounders in that era.

Strange you picked those two players to compare Collins to.

Nope, Burton's was much worse. Atricular damage and dislocated kneecap too :eek:

Sounds almost the same as what happened to Aaron Cornelius a few years ago when he was playing/coaching his Tasmanian side...Hes still not walking if I recall correctly. Ruptured a blood vessel in his leg.

Stringer had the same injury as burton??

Stringer had a Badly broken leg....Compound fracture above the ankle of both tibia & fibula....Much the same as Nathan Brown's injury.
Here's a picture of the incident.

And here's the follow-up story.

Stringer finally has a leg to stand on
November 19, 2012

Emma Quayle
Football writer with The Age
1353254400000.jpg

Building for the future: Jake Stringer uses some weights as he prepares for the AFL draft. Photo: Jim Aidersey/Bendigo Advertiser

AFL hopeful Jake Stringer has overcome an awful injury.

JAKE Stringer doesn't even start to explain any more. Whenever someone asks why he missed a whole year of football he simply reaches for his phone and scrolls through his photo roll until he reaches it.

People say, 'What happened to your leg? How bad did it look? What was it like?' I just hand the phone over and say, 'Have a look for yourself'. They take one look and then it's, 'Oh, come on, I didn't need to see that'.

The picture is from his local paper, and in it you can see Stringer being tackled while playing for the Bendigo Pioneers at the start of last year. His right foot is kicking the back of his left leg and his broken shin bone is about to break through the skin. ''He's done well, the photographer,'' says Stringer, who has become used not only to the question but the inevitable response.

1353254400000.jpg

Painful day: Stringer breaks his leg as he is tackled by Rebel Jake Neade. Photo: Getty Images

''People say, 'What happened to your leg? How bad did it look? What was it like?' I just hand the phone over and say, 'Have a look for yourself'. They take one look and then it's, 'Oh, come on, I didn't need to see that'.''

It's almost two full seasons since the day in Ballarat when the tibia and fibula in Stringer's leg snapped. He can remember the sound, the pain, the way people went white when they looked at him. ''Old Ghosty here,'' he says, looking across at his father, John.

He can remember the physios holding his leg together, too scared to move in case they made him scream even more. The 90 minutes it took the ambulance to arrive, and the instant understanding that he wouldn't be playing footy again for a while. If the memories start feeling vague, he need only glance down at the scars or fetch the X-rays from his wardrobe, and there they are again. Stringer sums up the afternoon. ''It was crook.''

The injury wiped out Stringer's 2011 season before it had even really started, teaching him how to recover from serious surgery, how to get around on crutches, how to ask for help getting out of bed in the middle of the night when he needed to get to the toilet, what it felt like to be lapped by elderly neighbours walking laps of the reservoir near his home. It made him miss out on things, slow down, and just when he thought it was dealt with he found himself back in hospital, faced with doing everything all over again.

Stringer had a long metal rod removed from his leg in February, as well as three screws. He was told he would walk out of hospital later the same day, but when he came to he looked down and realised his leg was a mess again, that he wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon.

''I was stooged,'' he grumbles, recalling another two weeks on crutches, another two weeks of depending on other people, an unexpected and almost total restart.

When recruiters have visited, asking Stringer about his limp, his running gait, and whether he'll be able to play full-time in the midfield again, his mother Donna longs to show them a photo from the hospital bed less than six months ago. Really, Stringer has overcome two serious injuries in the past two years. ''They talk about what he hasn't done,'' Donna said, ''and not what he has.''

Stringer stuck to his original plan: to be up and going as soon as his season this year started. He played for the AIS-AFL Academy in a game against Box Hill, less than five weeks after his surgery, because it was the game he had missed out on almost 12 months earlier. He was voted the academy's best player in its game against a European side two weeks later, and kicked seven goals for Bendigo in his first match back from the overseas trip, but none of it happened easily.

''I've had to teach myself everything again, pretty much,'' he said. ''Where to run to, how to get a kick, how to read the ball. I hadn't had to think about that sort of stuff before.''

He had to deal with a bit more pain, too, getting a knock to the leg during the under-18 championships that hurt, a lot. He took some advice after that, and started to wear a shin guard. ''It's made the biggest difference. It made me feel like myself again,'' Stringer said. ''I started to stick my head in and if I got hit I'd just think, 'Hah! Shin guard'!''

He didn't have the season he wanted to have. It wasn't until he played three late games for Bendigo's VFL side that he felt motivated, urgent and desperate to please. There was only one way to win his new teammates over in those games, and that was to tackle, chase and defend. He knew people wanted him to be resting, training up, getting ready for the draft, making sure his stocks didn't drop. ''We talked about that a lot,'' said John.

''We went through it and talked about whether he'd be better off just training, just getting fit for the draft, but that didn't appeal to Jake at all.''

In fact, Stringer didn't care whether he became a top-five pick, a top-10 pick or fell further than that. He didn't care if clubs saw him as simply a marking forward, or whether they believed him when he told them he would be a midfielder. All he wanted to do was play football again, without thinking about the consequences.

It means that, wherever this week's draft takes him, his season was a success. ''It was hard, because I've been thinking about the draft for a long time. It's been talked about since I was 15 and it feels like I've been waiting ages for it.

''This year I just thought, 'OK, I don't care. I don't care who's watching and I don't care what they think, because I just want to play'.

''People kept saying to me, 'What are you doing? You're limping, you can't walk properly, you can't run'. And all I could say was, 'Dude, I couldn't give a s**t, I missed out on a whole year'. ''I know I'm fine. I know I'll be able to go to a club and do all the training and be able to play next year. I didn't even think about not playing. No way was I missing any more footy.''

The point was more that Burton's broken leg was of the same nature & magnitude to that of both Stringer's & McCarthy's, even if not in precisely the same place in the leg. He shattered his tibia where it joins the knee, causing his knee-cap to dislocate & also damaging the cartilage. He's since had all the plates removed & is now pain free, with the bones knitting. He's proved all his surgeons wrong thus far.

At 18/19 your prospects for a full recovery are much higher, as the bones are still 'green' so to speak....Which means they are still growing & have a higher rate of knitting & recovering fully....Whereas at 27/28, not so much.

Time will tell.

Stringer had a Badly broken leg....Compound fracture above the ankle of both tibia & fibula....Much the same as Nathan Brown's injury.
Here's a picture of the incident.

And here's the follow-up story.

Stringer finally has a leg to stand on
November 19, 2012

Emma Quayle
Football writer with The Age
1353254400000.jpg

Building for the future: Jake Stringer uses some weights as he prepares for the AFL draft. Photo: Jim Aidersey/Bendigo Advertiser

AFL hopeful Jake Stringer has overcome an awful injury.

JAKE Stringer doesn't even start to explain any more. Whenever someone asks why he missed a whole year of football he simply reaches for his phone and scrolls through his photo roll until he reaches it.

People say, 'What happened to your leg? How bad did it look? What was it like?' I just hand the phone over and say, 'Have a look for yourself'. They take one look and then it's, 'Oh, come on, I didn't need to see that'.

The picture is from his local paper, and in it you can see Stringer being tackled while playing for the Bendigo Pioneers at the start of last year. His right foot is kicking the back of his left leg and his broken shin bone is about to break through the skin. ''He's done well, the photographer,'' says Stringer, who has become used not only to the question but the inevitable response.

1353254400000.jpg

Painful day: Stringer breaks his leg as he is tackled by Rebel Jake Neade. Photo: Getty Images

''People say, 'What happened to your leg? How bad did it look? What was it like?' I just hand the phone over and say, 'Have a look for yourself'. They take one look and then it's, 'Oh, come on, I didn't need to see that'.''

It's almost two full seasons since the day in Ballarat when the tibia and fibula in Stringer's leg snapped. He can remember the sound, the pain, the way people went white when they looked at him. ''Old Ghosty here,'' he says, looking across at his father, John.

He can remember the physios holding his leg together, too scared to move in case they made him scream even more. The 90 minutes it took the ambulance to arrive, and the instant understanding that he wouldn't be playing footy again for a while. If the memories start feeling vague, he need only glance down at the scars or fetch the X-rays from his wardrobe, and there they are again. Stringer sums up the afternoon. ''It was crook.''

The injury wiped out Stringer's 2011 season before it had even really started, teaching him how to recover from serious surgery, how to get around on crutches, how to ask for help getting out of bed in the middle of the night when he needed to get to the toilet, what it felt like to be lapped by elderly neighbours walking laps of the reservoir near his home. It made him miss out on things, slow down, and just when he thought it was dealt with he found himself back in hospital, faced with doing everything all over again.

Stringer had a long metal rod removed from his leg in February, as well as three screws. He was told he would walk out of hospital later the same day, but when he came to he looked down and realised his leg was a mess again, that he wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon.

''I was stooged,'' he grumbles, recalling another two weeks on crutches, another two weeks of depending on other people, an unexpected and almost total restart.

When recruiters have visited, asking Stringer about his limp, his running gait, and whether he'll be able to play full-time in the midfield again, his mother Donna longs to show them a photo from the hospital bed less than six months ago. Really, Stringer has overcome two serious injuries in the past two years. ''They talk about what he hasn't done,'' Donna said, ''and not what he has.''

Stringer stuck to his original plan: to be up and going as soon as his season this year started. He played for the AIS-AFL Academy in a game against Box Hill, less than five weeks after his surgery, because it was the game he had missed out on almost 12 months earlier. He was voted the academy's best player in its game against a European side two weeks later, and kicked seven goals for Bendigo in his first match back from the overseas trip, but none of it happened easily.

''I've had to teach myself everything again, pretty much,'' he said. ''Where to run to, how to get a kick, how to read the ball. I hadn't had to think about that sort of stuff before.''

He had to deal with a bit more pain, too, getting a knock to the leg during the under-18 championships that hurt, a lot. He took some advice after that, and started to wear a shin guard. ''It's made the biggest difference. It made me feel like myself again,'' Stringer said. ''I started to stick my head in and if I got hit I'd just think, 'Hah! Shin guard'!''

He didn't have the season he wanted to have. It wasn't until he played three late games for Bendigo's VFL side that he felt motivated, urgent and desperate to please. There was only one way to win his new teammates over in those games, and that was to tackle, chase and defend. He knew people wanted him to be resting, training up, getting ready for the draft, making sure his stocks didn't drop. ''We talked about that a lot,'' said John.

''We went through it and talked about whether he'd be better off just training, just getting fit for the draft, but that didn't appeal to Jake at all.''

In fact, Stringer didn't care whether he became a top-five pick, a top-10 pick or fell further than that. He didn't care if clubs saw him as simply a marking forward, or whether they believed him when he told them he would be a midfielder. All he wanted to do was play football again, without thinking about the consequences.

It means that, wherever this week's draft takes him, his season was a success. ''It was hard, because I've been thinking about the draft for a long time. It's been talked about since I was 15 and it feels like I've been waiting ages for it.

''This year I just thought, 'OK, I don't care. I don't care who's watching and I don't care what they think, because I just want to play'.

''People kept saying to me, 'What are you doing? You're limping, you can't walk properly, you can't run'. And all I could say was, 'Dude, I couldn't give a s**t, I missed out on a whole year'. ''I know I'm fine. I know I'll be able to go to a club and do all the training and be able to play next year. I didn't even think about not playing. No way was I missing any more footy.''

The point was more that Burton's broken leg was of the same nature & magnitude to that of both Stringer's & McCarthy's, even if not in precisely the same place in the leg. He shattered his tibia where it joins the knee, causing his knee-cap to dislocate & also damaging the cartilage. He's since had all the plates removed & is now pain free, with the bones knitting. He's proved all his surgeons wrong thus far.

At 18/19 your prospects for a full recovery are much higher, as the bones are still 'green' so to speak....Which means they are still growing & have a higher rate of knitting & recovering fully....Whereas at 27/28, not so much.

Time will tell.
Not sure what's more horrifying, the injury or that hair.

Ahh interesting. Thanks.
Apparently burtons was a bit worse thoigh yeah?

Look all the best to the kid just the fact he has been back a year and still not jumping pretty risking risk?
Given its the hawks, he'll no doubt grow a brand new leg in his sleep and win the coleman on 165 goals at age 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back