Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We made two moves, Cordy as a DFA and got 32 in for Long.

Don't really understand why we are big losers. Sydney brought in Aaron Francis and they are winners? I'm confused.

While I agree with you to a certain extent, Sydney made a Grand Final and didn't lose anyone. Saints clearly have issues and didn't do anything to address said issues. I think Cordy wil be quite good though.

We had injuries and Covid impacted-games this year which often made our back 6 look much worse than they were/are…I think we have the cattle, just need to bring it together…

Tbh the bigger problem was defensive midfield pressure which meant our our defence was consistently getting caught on the rebound…Dunkley will help with that, you’d think
Fair point, lack of defensive pressure in the midfield can leave defences vulnerable. Same concern with Richmond this year which I think hopper and taranto help rectify.

I disagree. Maybe not as well as Richmond or Brisbane who have done extremely well. But those young players mean that Geelong has great depth, which means they can rest older players throughout the situation like they did this year. And who knows, Bowes or Bruhn could really step up and play a large role.

People will bag Geelong regardless of what we do. I can just imagine the reaction on here if we'd mortgaged our future over the next couple of drafts for Grundy and Hopper.

Our moves in the trade period have improved an already lethal forward line and have at the very least set up some even more cut throat competition for midfield places, keeping in mind Menegola couldn't find a spot in the GF team and Parfitt only did through injury. Plus it provides further flexibility for the Cats to aggressively rotate players like Duncan, Dangerfield, Guthrie and Blicavs who will all be 31 and older.

According to ESPN, GWS get an E+ for the trade period ( as gave away 12 for nothing as neither north or WCE would take Cadman, also no players back for Taranto, Hopper).

I find it hard to split Brisbane, Geelong so I have them gold and silver either or so have them as A+ grade and Port in bronze as A grade.

Bit of a necro but we are nearing the end of 2023.

Pies getting Mitchell was a big win.
Demons getting Grundy also a big win for the Pies. Big loss for Demons.
Bobby Hill was a bit of an unknown at the time but is playing seriously good football at the right time of year.
McStay Ive never been plussed about. Still not, but didnt cost a lot.
Amon great for Hawks but Port also got an early 2nd so both win there.
Acres has been pretty good.
Taranto and Hopper feel like Richmond will go backwards given what they paid.
JHF Roos will claim was great for them because of who they got but they could have got more with the Crows offer the year before.
Luke Jackson had a great year but cost a LOT. Time will tell on this one but the Demons got plenty. I bet they wish they had Jackson not Grundy right now though.

But we all know the win was that nobody + pick 7 for a punch in the junk for GCS. That the AFL didnt just shut GCS down at that point will cast a pall over the comp for decades.

With Hocking no longer in charge of the books it will be interesting to see what Wells does in 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a necro but we are nearing the end of 2023.

Pies getting Mitchell was a big win.
Demons getting Grundy also a big win for the Pies. Big loss for Demons.
Bobby Hill was a bit of an unknown at the time but is playing seriously good football at the right time of year.
McStay Ive never been plussed about. Still not, but didnt cost a lot.
Amon great for Hawks but Port also got an early 2nd so both win there.
Acres has been pretty good.
Taranto and Hopper feel like Richmond will go backwards given what they paid.
JHF Roos will claim was great for them because of who they got but they could have got more with the Crows offer the year before.
Luke Jackson had a great year but cost a LOT. Time will tell on this one but the Demons got plenty. I bet they wish they had Jackson not Grundy right now though.

But we all know the win was that nobody + pick 7 for a punch in the junk for GCS. That the AFL didnt just shut GCS down at that point will cast a pall over the comp for decades.

With Hocking no longer in charge of the books it will be interesting to see what Wells does in 2023.
You missed GWS …. Lost a few but fixed salary cap …. Unexpectedly high pick for Hopper and got Toby Bedford for peanuts …. A win for the club

if cadman kicks on it will be seen as a great trade period for gws. bedford looks to be a great value acquisition and the midfield has not suffered at all from the losses of hopper / taranto. rowston is a likely type too.

still think geelong will be seen as the 'winner' long term

brisbane did very well but it is hard to fluff a trade / draft period where you have 2 first round father son picks come to your club

if cadman kicks on it will be seen as a great trade period for gws. bedford looks to be a great value acquisition and the midfield has not suffered at all from the losses of hopper / taranto. rowston is a likely type too.

still think geelong will be seen as the 'winner' long term

brisbane did very well but it is hard to fluff a trade / draft period where you have 2 first round father son picks come to your club
Dunkley and the f/s picks makes the lions huge winners

Dunkley and the f/s picks makes the lions huge winners
mckenna for free was probably the best piece of business we did last year, a half back of his quality for nothing but a list spot is only really rivaled by the bowes + 7 salary dump for best individual acquisition of the trade period

mckenna for free was probably the best piece of business we did last year, a half back of his quality for nothing but a list spot is only really rivaled by the bowes + 7 salary dump for best individual acquisition of the trade period
Yeah forgot him …. Well played

Back