Traded 12. Cooper Stephens (2020-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Love your confidence. I was hoping we'd take Robertson when he slipped to our first then our second. But am happy to be completely wrong on this one.

Its rare anyone is totally wrong. We could pick the right player and it doesnt work out ... if Robertosn star's in the Brisbane side ..a few clubs will start to feel warm under the collar

2020 may be the year of Steven and Stephens ... I think we will see both at some stage .. as long as CS in the PS can replicate the type of numbers he did at the Combine .. he will put a lot of pressure on the other young players on our list..

I think he's a great pick necessary to stengthen our young taller midfield stocks which is basically only Constable.
With his attitude and constitution l really can't see this selection falling over as have so many 1st selections of recent years.
Probably will play early next season.

The highest probability for success is strong inside mid types .. and really this is the first one we have spent a R1 on for a while..

The highest probability for success is strong inside mid types .. and really this is the first one we have spent a R1 on for a while..

If he's anything like Dangerfield with dashing runs out of the middle l wouldn't be calling him purely an inside player.
What we're in need of are players that are capable of doing it both ways like Danger does and not limited one way or the other.
Like CS size and running endurance, a winning formula.

Hard to say mate. I suppose it depends on where they see Steven playing and the development of Narkle, Constable, etc, over the pre-season. At the moment I'd say he's a definite chance to debut depending on form in the pre-season. If he debuts he won't be just making up the numbers either.

I won't be wrong with this kid.
You called this one WAY before he broke his leg... I remember it clearly... and I relaly hope you are 100% right.

GO Catters

Giving you a focal point fior your dersion.

But this is the Cooper Stevens thread.. if youd like to re-discuss Darcy Lang, there is a thread for that.

GO Catters
I tried Daz I tried. But the other mod has overruled you and says no. So everyone its a free for all to compare Coops to lang and Corey and anyone else we want to compare him too in here.

Going by his video he seems to resemble fyfes brother a lot.

Love your confidence. I was hoping we'd take Robertson when he slipped to our first then our second. But am happy to be completely wrong on this one.

Stephens is a very reasonable pick considering where our list is at (age of Danger Selwood Steven etc) and i love his work ethic and attitude. De Koning over Robertson is one that im more debating although given our list needs i can get why we went that way. Be interesting to see how it stacks up in 5 years.

Stephens is a very reasonable pick considering where our list is at (age of Danger Selwood Steven etc) and i love his work ethic and attitude. De Koning over Robertson is one that im more debating although given our list needs i can get why we went that way. Be interesting to see how it stacks up in 5 years.

I think having taken Stephens it was unlikely we’d take another contested mid with us already having Constable as well. Whilst I’m sure we’d have found a spot for Robertson in our future midfield we couldn’t turn a blind eye to our other positional list needs.

As much as the deal for 2020 pick 11 was probably too good to refuse, there is still a part of me that would have preferred to see Sharp added to our list. If we’d gone that way I wonder whether we’d have drafted Taheny or Evans with our last pick? Or maybe we just didn’t rate Sharp much at all?

I think having taken Stephens it was unlikely we’d take another contested mid with us already having Constable as well. Whilst I’m sure we’d have found a spot for Robertson in our future midfield we couldn’t turn a blind eye to our other positional list needs.

As much as the deal for 2020 pick 11 was probably too good to refuse, there is still a part of me that would have preferred to see Sharp added to our list. If we’d gone that way I wonder whether we’d have drafted Taheny or Evans with our last pick? Or maybe we just didn’t rate Sharp much at all?

I agree stephens and robertson are probably too similar for list balance. If de koning ends up becoming a good ruck then i get it as we desperately need one.

I really like Sharp and will be interested to see how he goes next year...i imagine we didnt rate him in our top 27 or we would have taken him...then again three R1s next year gives us massive clout at the trade table...P11was probably too good to refuse.

I reckon we'd have taken Taheny if pushed.
At the end of the day we turned TK into CS + 2 R1s next year and flipped 37 and next years R4 for Jenkins and Taheny..thats a pretty good haul.

I agree stephens and robertson are probably too similar for list balance. If de koning ends up becoming a good ruck then i get it as we desperately need one.

I really like Sharp and will be interested to see how he goes next year...i imagine we didnt rate him in our top 27 or we would have taken him...then again three R1s next year gives us massive clout at the trade table...P11was probably too good to refuse.

I reckon we'd have taken Taheny if pushed.
At the end of the day we turned TK into CS + 2 R1s next year and flipped 37 and next years R4 for Jenkins and Taheny..thats a pretty good haul.

I doubt De Koning becomes a ruck. He’s played very little, if any ruck in junior footy from what I understand. I’d say he’s more likely to remain a (very) tall defender. I wasn’t a massive fan pre draft but he has some good attributes. Most importantly he seems to have a big desire to succeed. That will stand him in good stead.

I wondered that too. But it did seem odd to take Evans in front of Taheny. Evans looks more a speculative rookie pick to me. Even more so than Close.

I tried Daz I tried. But the other mod has overruled you and says no. So everyone its a free for all to compare Coops to lang and Corey and anyone else we want to compare him too in here.

Going by his video he seems to resemble fyfes brother a lot.

We weren't comparing him to Lang playing style wise, just that they both had broken legs and missed practically their whole under 18 year and both are from Colac.

Wells has chased injured players hoping to get a bargain on an underexposed player for ages and frankly it hasn't worked in over a decade. Don't mind it later in the draft but first round picks you need to nail. Hopefully Cooper bucks the trend.

Last edited:
The thing with Cooper is that he was better than the Robertsons, Kemps and some others taken very high at the end of last year (2018). He got in the best for the Falcons the last 6 weeks and was knocking up much better numbers than Rowell and Anderson.

The question is has the year out hurt him. Hasn’t hurt his physique or athletic ability going by the combine. I think it’s a far safer pick than say a Lang or Cockatoo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to say mate. I suppose it depends on where they see Steven playing and the development of Narkle, Constable, etc, over the pre-season. At the moment I'd say he's a definite chance to debut depending on form in the pre-season. If he debuts he won't be just making up the numbers either.

I won't be wrong with this kid.

I have been with you on this kid for a fair while as well ...being wrong at times is a natural state of being on here... and being wrong on one call doesnt mean you are always wrong ..or always right etc. We all see different things and have different likes and values in a player ..its why I say best available is a Unicorn hunt ..no such thing. Kinnear Beatson said as much thru the draft day interview.

Stephens could quite easily play as many games in 2020 as Clark..he is probably closer to being ready and with Kelly going there is a spot.

Last edited:
The leg was one factor ..but even so he could easily have been on anothers list ... for eg. if we had got a better deal offer from Carlton for eg.. they want ed 14 and 17 for 9 and a pick in the 40's.... ..and if we did upgrade he would no have been our pick. So many factors have to fall a certain way ....hopefully we will look back in a few years with the warm inner glow of how we ened up with selwood at 7.

And now that you are here ... listening to to one future draft podcast ..they had OscarH as a top10-15 in 2020... maybe those extra picks we have will give us the chance to add another falcon.
Concern with getting Ollie Henry though is that we have just drafted a raft of medium forward types but bringing the brothers would be pretty cool

What number did James Kelly go? I remember that pick I think it was 17 that number did not have a good history of players making it.....hope it was 17 and not 16 lol

What number did James Kelly go? I remember that pick I think it was 17 that number did not have a good history of players making it.....hope it was 17 and not 16 lol

James Kelly: Last Drafted: Round 1, Pick #17 2001 National Draft by Geelong Cats

We drafted both Kelly and Menzel at 17.
Our last 16s were thurlow (2012) lang (2013) and 2016 (traded for tuohy and 22-fogarty).

I love the enthusiasm but I'd imagine Jack Stevens gets first crack. Hope you are right though because that is a good sign.
No S ..... He will be in the side for sure... and maybe Steven plays the Kelly role .. I cant say I can visualise him in our side atm. Just how good will he be in our side ....

I'm not completely sold on Robertson and glad we went a tall with our 2nd pick.
And now that you are here ... listening to to one future draft podcast ..they had OscarH as a top10-15 in 2020... maybe those extra picks we have will give us the chance to add another falcon.
Geelong are keen on Ollie and he'll be training with them shortly. Regardless of where he's drafted he'll end up at Geelong. Like I said when he was 15, according to his uncle he's a better natural footballer than his brother.

I'm not completely sold on Robertson and glad we went a tall with our 2nd pick.

Geelong are keen on Ollie and he'll be training with them shortly. Regardless of where he's drafted he'll end up at Geelong. Like I said when he was 15, according to his uncle he's a better natural footballer than his brother.

A recent podcast I listen to had him at around P12 P14 ish ... but who knows its a full year away... Atm ..all we know is he will most likely be draftable. What Geelong think at what the general vibe of who is interested in him is ..long way off. As you say he and another couple will be training at Geelong.. and that may or may not have an influence. One would think with Jack already at the club they would know him to some degree. I think the other Falcon Bruin is supposed to be quite handy as well.

As you have mentioned before.. if he is not drafted by Geelong ..it only mean it may take a bit longer before he is at geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back