Traded 12. Cooper Stephens (2020-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

And to add to this I think you want to see talls or late picks do the same in their second season.

i.e.

Henry debut round 2
Ratugolea debut round 1
Miers debut round 1

If they can't then that is when you need to turn the list over more if players are not best 22 or projecting to be after 2 years on the list. Rucks would be the exception but we don't draft them anyway....
I would give SDK a pallet of whey protein and 2 years to get through the whole thing before I'd expect senior footy out of him. There's a lot to fill out

I would give SDK a pallet of whey protein and 2 years to get through the whole thing before I'd expect senior footy out of him. There's a lot to fill out
Cooper I imagine will see senior action in 2020.
I see SDK much like English at doggies..being long and lean for2 years before starting to fill out. I’m not expecting him till 21 or 22.
Go Catters

Cooper I imagine will see senior action in 2020.
I see SDK much like English at doggies..being long and lean for2 years before starting to fill out. I’m not expecting him till 21 or 22.
Go Catters

But that is kind of the point though. English is long and lean but still plays AFL on talent. I wouldn't expect SDK to play this year but if he is not pressing for a game next year post HT then you have issues IMO. He likely still won't be "ready" body wise but if talent doesn't balance that out well enough to get a game then you are on a road to nowhere by the end of year two.

But that is kind of the point though. English is long and lean but still plays AFL on talent. I wouldn't expect SDK to play this year but if he is not pressing for a game next year post HT then you have issues IMO. He likely still won't be "ready" body wise but if talent doesn't balance that out well enough to get a game then you are on a road to nowhere by the end of year two.

some types can be held around longer than others... Longergan is a case in point ..and at his height Dek could end up elsewhere rather than deep back... unless he really spuds it up ..I suspect he will be around for a while ..and given time to show something.... but id not put it out of question that he could come in sometime in his first 2 years.

Last edited:
right.. but English was drafted in 16 and took a good 2 years to get going... so by 2019 he was far more effetive.
I agree we want him pushing up the talent tree but if its 2 years. like English took, im fine with that.

And whilst he's a HT replacement, I see Blitz filling that role ( unless he is on a wing but that would never happen right!?!) unti SDK is ready.

GO Catters

English drafted 16 and debuted 17. IMO he is still not AFL standard for a ruck but he is playing. If people aren't playing at all after two years in the modern environment, delist.

Your opinion so fair enough but seems like development is done - show me now or be gone.

To clarify, you mean no AFL game after 2 years you are gone?

GO Catters

right.. but English was drafted in 16 and took a good 2 years to get going... so by 2019 he was far more effetive.
I agree we want him pushing up the talent tree but if its 2 years. like English took, im fine with that.

And whilst he's a HT replacement, I see Blitz filling that role ( unless he is on a wing but that would never happen right!?!) unti SDK is ready.

GO Catters

Blitz is already filling the tall defender role SDK should be givenevery opportunity to be the other key backman.
ATM he's 85+kgs, l reckon they'll be hoping to get that to about 90 this year.
In my mind that would be ok for senior footy if he’s good enough to debut later in the season.
I wouldn't be saying no right now, he's not to far off physically imo.
Really depends on the Geelong nutritionists to find 5kg, it's a big frame.

Last edited:
Your opinion so fair enough but seems like development is done - show me now or be gone.

To clarify, you mean no AFL game after 2 years you are gone?

GO Catters

Pretty much.

I mean I wouldn't expect SDK to play this year at all and if he happened to have an lti the next year then you'd use some common sense but I think as a base rule it is fine.

English drafted 16 and debuted 17. IMO he is still not AFL standard for a ruck but he is playing. If people aren't playing at all after two years in the modern environment, delist.

That would seem to me to lock us in to perpetual churn on underdeveloped talent if we dont draft more ready to play types. ........ but I also can see the logic.. in an era where FA and trade ... to draft long term players is costly and can constipate the list.

I would say that we have seen an example of not drafting for the long term with our rucks ...and keeping them for too long.... Id say you can have advancement in readyness that may take more time than 2 years. Players like Stewart so good now ..would have been delisted. English is playing at the Dogs where he might not at Collingwood for eg... but is it logical to have someone projected 3-5 years down the track..probably not these days.. they have to show something sooner. The obvious example of how players may take time is Hamling..we did give him a go ..he was almost ready for a shot in Y3... and is now a strong defender.

IF we did take this line of thought it would be less likely to see us drafting thin talent and more effort on ready to plays like a Menegola types...and if they dont play within 2 years ..I agree with you. If we had drafted Partington for example..same logic

and in relation to Cooper Stephens ...... I think we will see him 2020...so no fear there..

That would seem to me to lock us in to perpetual churn on underdeveloped talent if we dont draft more ready to play types. ........ but I also can see the logic.. in an era where FA and trade ... to draft long term players is costly and can constipate the list.

I would say that we have seen an example of not drafting for the long term with our rucks ...and keeping them for too long.... Id say you can have advancement in readyness that may take more time than 2 years. Players like Stewart so good now ..would have been delisted. English is playing at the Dogs where he might not at Collingwood for eg... but is it logical to have someone projected 3-5 years down the track..probably not these days.. they have to show something sooner. The obvious example of how players may take time is Hamling..we did give him a go ..he was almost ready for a shot in Y3... and is now a strong defender.

IF we did take this line of thought it would be less likely to see us drafting thin talent and more effort on ready to plays like a Menegola types...and if they dont play within 2 years ..I agree with you. If we had drafted Partington for example..same logic

and in relation to Cooper Stephens ...... I think we will see him 2020...so no fear there..

Keeping it on topic....good work Turbo..:shoutyoldman::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know Buggar all about Cooper about 30 seconds of highlights all I seen

I think the reason for asking is because the comment regarding SDK is in the Cooper thread - I'd suggest it's more suitable location is the SDK thread, unless you can link your predictions about SDK to Cooper

I don't know Buggar all about Cooper about 30 seconds of highlights all I seen

Until we see them play, for real, in the hoops..my guess is we all fit into that. Seen more..or less in juniors but its a big step for all of them. I thought we ma have heard a bit more in the preseason... but Kennerly sound like he my be the jumper this year,

I think the reason for asking is because the comment regarding SDK is in the Cooper thread - I'd suggest it's more suitable location is the SDK thread, unless you can link your predictions about SDK to Cooper

I can understand how one can get drawn into off topic post in the a related thread. Not hard to do.

The pick they were drafted at will link the two player to some degree as their carrer progresses.

With a few injuries mentioned recently it makes one wonder can copper push for a game early but I haven't heard the usual blurb that would indicate he is making ground

G'day all

Apologies for the random thread bump. Was just curious if anyone a bit more connected to the club could give the inside word on where they think this bloke is at? Obviously covid has affected the seconds massively these last 18 months, but just heard very little about how Stephens is actually traveling, whether it be good or bad.

Huge for us as a club and if he can really develop as that first or second banana mid it'll make the transition post Dangerwood a heck of a lot smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

G'day all

Apologies for the random thread bump. Was just curious if anyone a bit more connected to the club could give the inside word on where they think this bloke is at? Obviously covid has affected the seconds massively these last 18 months, but just heard very little about how Stephens is actually traveling, whether it be good or bad.

Huge for us as a club and if he can really develop as that first or second banana mid it'll make the transition post Dangerwood a heck of a lot smoother.

Well not travelling at all currently after the ankle injury. Feedback was all very positive last year when he was playing

G'day all

The reasons probably do not matter. Having not played till now has diminished him. Yes it is early but its been a poor start to his career. He has used up some of the gravy time all kids get. Next year he can not afford to not be playing a lot of football. Mids rarely get 3 years to show their worth on a list and show zero. The good news is, he is not fighting for a place where there is a truck load of young player in the side. Play well and he probably gets selected.... so its all about the preseason. He as to standout and demand attention... because there is nothing surer... Geelong will continue to add talent, and new kids come in and they will demand attention, just like Holmes has.

The reasons probably do not matter. Having not played till now has diminished him. Yes it is early but its been a poor start to his career. He has used up some of the gravy time all kids get. Next year he can not afford to not be playing a lot of football. Mids rarely get 3 years to show their worth on a list and show zero. The good news is, he is not fighting for a place where there is a truck load of young player in the side. Play well and he probably gets selected.... so its all about the preseason. He as to standout and demand attention... because there is nothing surer... Geelong will continue to add talent, and new kids come in and they will demand attention, just like Holmes has.
He played all year last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back