Delisted 31. Francis Evans (2020 -2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting story. Obviously very speculative but sounds like he’s got untapped potential.

I’m intrigued though why he wasn’t taken as our last pick - sounds like it was very unlikely that anyone else would have taken him in the draft. The only other player I really rated taken later was Taheny and we got him so no damage done but interesting strategy I would have thought...

Interesting story. Obviously very speculative but sounds like he’s got untapped potential.

I’m intrigued though why he wasn’t taken as our last pick - sounds like it was very unlikely that anyone else would have taken him in the draft. The only other player I really rated taken later was Taheny and we got him so no damage done but interesting strategy I would have thought...

Maybe not....that would explain why they went a bit early. There have been reports that 4 other clubs had shown interest....

As you say, getting Taheny @50 made it all rosy....

Be very interesting to see what he brings....

Maybe not....that would explain why they went a bit early. There have been reports that 4 other clubs had shown interest....

As you say, getting Taheny @50 made it all rosy....

Be very interesting to see what he brings....

Maybe not. Would love to sit down with Wells and get an understanding how they strategise for the draft and what curve balls occurred during proceedings. Would we have traded that pick to GC if either Williams or Gould were available? Love to know the answer to that. Why they didn’t use it on Sharp when we need outside run? What is the plan for these first rounders next year?

Why they didn’t use it on Sharp when we need outside run? What is the plan for these first rounders next year?

A common feature of all our draftees (including Close and SDK who played as a midfielder until u16 but maybe not Hendo) is that they all seem very good and comfortable in congestion. Space seems to be disappearing on grounds so perhaps usefulness and opportunity for outside players is less...did see a graph recently which showed how the number of bounces taken by players has decreased over recent years. Suspect this trend will continue unless afl increase size of grounds (semi joke) or decrease number of players on field....know Chris Scott is in favour of this!

A common feature of all our draftees (including Close and SDK who played as a midfielder until u16 but maybe not Hendo) is that they all seem very good and comfortable in congestion. Space seems to be disappearing on grounds so perhaps usefulness and opportunity for outside players is less...did see a graph recently which showed how the number of bounces taken by players has decreased over recent years. Suspect this trend will continue unless afl increase size of grounds (semi joke) or decrease number of players on field....know Chris Scott is in favour of this!

Was also reading an article recently which looked at the success rate of midfielders who were drafted. It found that those who were “inside” were much more likely to have a successful career than those who were “outside”. It suggested that one of the main reasons for this was that there were rules stopping some of the negative tactics (eg taggers not allowed) in u16/u18 comps. This made it a lot harder to predict who of these “outside” players would adapt to a more pressure oriented style of football. Apologies but it was a while ago and I have no hope of finding the source.

Amazing!

I know Francis well, he played with my kid at Brunswick Dragons. They used to go to games together to watch the Hawks. Graduated year 12 from same school this year. Absolute pleasure of a kid from a good family. Won't say anymore personal things in case he/his family prefer the privacy.

Tore games apart at Brunswick...levels above everyone else. Leadership qualities....not too vocal but leads by example on the field. Mid-Fwd. Quick and a very very good football brain. Baulks opposition players at will. Very sharp skills. Unfortunately suffered an injury back half of this year.

Now I might have to hope Cats do well....shite.

Anyway, good pick-up. We'll done. All the best to the young fella and his family.
Your jumper is in the mail mate 👍

Every single person wants him to do well. More so than others cause it's a good story coming out of the Ammos and that.
Still doesn't change the fact it's a really weird pick.
Of course people are going to wonder about it.
Even on the radio this morning they were questioning it.
Its pick 40 so who really gives a s**t but it's definitely discussion worthy!
Its the same as getting someone from the Belmont Lions (actually lower) who played 2 games for the Falcons.

True, but we should be drawing reassurance from the fact that he was assessed first hand by our recruiter, then Mr Wells, who then followed up with one Tom Lonergan. They put some quality research into it.

This is true, but my questioning is really around... pick 41? C'mon Geelong - it's *highly* unlikely that someone in Div 2 Ammos was going to be taken by anyone else in the National Draft at all. Would have preferred to be a bit more strategic in that sense - take the 98% chance that he would still be there by rookie list time and have 2 pots at talent with more competition.

There's a suggestion that it was going to be somewhat less than 98%.............and their appraisal of him obviously deemed the risk to be unacceptable

I think even “outside” players need to have some ability to win their own footy. The term is perhaps a misnomer. The characteristics are that they generally in today’s terms provide more “metres gained” than their true inside teammates. So speed and an ability to kick long and accurately are paramount to being an effective “outside player”.

I think the 6-6-6 rule has brought back the wingmen from yesteryear to some degree. There is still not the space that the wingman of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s enjoyed but it’s better than it has been for a while.

Again, would be interesting to know how the recruiters compare the likes of D.Stephens and Sharp - Stephens has an ability to win his own ball I think far more than Sharp but do they think Sharp won’t develop that area of his game sufficiently to be an effective “outside” player?

I think even “outside” players need to have some ability to win their own footy. The term is perhaps a misnomer. The characteristics are that they generally in today’s terms provide more “metres gained” than their true inside teammates. So speed and an ability to kick long and accurately are paramount to being an effective “outside player”.

I think the 6-6-6 rule has brought back the wingmen from yesteryear to some degree. There is still not the space that the wingman of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s enjoyed but it’s better than it has been for a while.

Again, would be interesting to know how the recruiters compare the likes of D.Stephens and Sharp - Stephens has an ability to win his own ball I think far more than Sharp but do they think Sharp won’t develop that area of his game sufficiently to be an effective “outside” player?
Could be they rate someone inside the top 10-15 in next years draft more so the carrot of pick 11 was to much

Maybe not. Would love to sit down with Wells and get an understanding how they strategise for the draft and what curve balls occurred during proceedings.
It would be great one day to go through the notebook of Stephen Wells. The recruiters all play their cards close to their chests and play mind games. I'm sure that there is a bit of misinformation used. For example, putting out a rumour that we are looking at Player X so that Club Y chooses that player earlier than us leaving us to nab Player Z who we were really interested in but was afraid that Club Y would select before he got to our pick.
If you are really keen on a smokey, how do you keep your interest under the radar? I wouldn't be surprised if other clubs put a bit of work into keep track of where Stephen Wells is at any time. If he gets spotted at D grade ammos match, other teams will be doing their damdest to find out why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too far away for that to be the case. I think far more likely they see it as a useful trading piece to get a good player.

I kind of feel they plan to use them given they gifted the late picks to Essendon. I think they probably just want a shot at talls and after we took De Koning there was nothing this year so hope for more options next year.

I kind of feel they plan to use them given they gifted the late picks to Essendon. I think they probably want a shot at talls and after we took De Koning there was nothing this year so hope for more options next year.

Yes, still need a ruck and a KPF pretty desperately. Also need a top shelf mid too. There’s still missing pieces for sure. Whether we get them via the draft or elsewhere we have some great picks either way.

From Tom Lonergan:

do you think Domsie gave us a heads up?

The more I read the more I like ... certainly looking forward to see how his preseason gos....

Heres a HSun article ... the young man seems confident and ambitious ...all that cant hurt....

Geelong AFL draft smoky Francis Evans’ bold plan to play seniors in 2020
Five games in the VAFA and a game-and-a-half in the NAB League was all it took for ultimate AFL Draft smoky Francis Evans to convince Geelong to take a punt on him.

Francis Evans isn’t worried about being tagged the biggest smoky of the 2019 national draft.
The amateur footballer from Brunswick was thrown into the spotlight when Geelong recruiting guru Stephen Wells called his name at pick No.41.

Five games with VAFA club Brunswick NOBS and a game-and-a-half with the Calder Cannons was all the evidence the Cats needed to take a punt on Evans.

“It doesn’t really bother me if people call me a smoky or whatever, at the end of the day I’m on the list,” Evans said.

“We’re all the same, all of the draftees are in the same position now. Once you’re there, you’re there and you’ve just got to get to work.

“I aim to be playing to be playing senior football next year if everything goes to plan.”

The Evans story is a simple one, an inner-city kid who always had a dream to play in the big time.

From U/10s to U/17s he played for the Brunswick Dragons and attended Brunswick Secondary College.

His mother is a historian while his dad works in the auditor general’s office and he’s been a Hawthorn supporter all his life.

It would be great one day to go through the notebook of Stephen Wells. The recruiters all play their cards close to their chests and play mind games. I'm sure that there is a bit of misinformation used. For example, putting out a rumour that we are looking at Player X so that Club Y chooses that player earlier than us leaving us to nab Player Z who we were really interested in but was afraid that Club Y would select before he got to our pick.
If you are really keen on a smokey, how do you keep your interest under the radar? I wouldn't be surprised if other clubs put a bit of work into keep track of where Stephen Wells is at any time. If he gets spotted at D grade ammos match, other teams will be doing their damdest to find out why.

Cal Twomey was of the opinion that we were right into Deven Robertson and Trent Bianco. It seems as though he was mislead somewhat by our recruiters.

The more I read the more I like ... certainly looking forward to see how his preseason gos....

Heres a HSun article ... the young man seems confident and ambitious ...all that cant hurt....

Five games in the VAFA and a game-and-a-half in the NAB League was all it took for ultimate AFL Draft smoky Francis Evans to convince Geelong to take a punt on him.

Francis Evans isn’t worried about being tagged the biggest smoky of the 2019 national draft.
The amateur footballer from Brunswick was thrown into the spotlight when Geelong recruiting guru Stephen Wells called his name at pick No.41.

Five games with VAFA club Brunswick NOBS and a game-and-a-half with the Calder Cannons was all the evidence the Cats needed to take a punt on Evans.

“It doesn’t really bother me if people call me a smoky or whatever, at the end of the day I’m on the list,” Evans said.

“We’re all the same, all of the draftees are in the same position now. Once you’re there, you’re there and you’ve just got to get to work.

“I aim to be playing to be playing senior football next year if everything goes to plan.”

The Evans story is a simple one, an inner-city kid who always had a dream to play in the big time.

From U/10s to U/17s he played for the Brunswick Dragons and attended Brunswick Secondary College.

His mother is a historian while his dad works in the auditor general’s office and he’s been a Hawthorn supporter all his life.

Seems like he’s got a good attitude.

Cal Twomey was of the opinion that we were right into Deven Robertson and Trent Bianco. It seems as though he was mislead somewhat by our recruiters.

My bet is we are into a lot of players... who knows who is taken and who is still there at ones pick.. That we picked others before Robertson doesn't mean we would not like him..just means we likes other more. Time will tell if it was a wise choice.. ..in the mean time ..Evans offers another chapter to the Swells mythology ... I wonder how any times we will hear about Wels picking this kid from the North Old Boys or the NOBS ..

Club very sloppy with their background checks here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back