Rumour women's games at Victoria Park from 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's bits and pieces of this topic in most threads, so thought it best to start afresh.

McGuire told the AGM that we're looking to play our women's home games between Victoria Park and Olympic Park next season. While the fact it's being spoken about is a promising start McGuire also said at 2015 member's forum that the AFL was onboard a preseason match at Vic Park in 2017, so until we run out onto the ground I won't hold my breath.

I saw in The Age today that Ikon Park is going to get funding from the AFL and state government to be turned into an AFLW/VFL hub.

Collingwood should be putting their hands out for a bit of cash to put some seating at the Holden Centre.

Agree that IF Scum Park can get Funding then we should be able to get some for Holden Center to Build a Actual Stadium

There's bits and pieces of this topic in most threads, so thought it best to start afresh.

McGuire told the AGM that we're looking to play our women's home games between Victoria Park and Olympic Park next season. While the fact it's being spoken about is a promising start McGuire also said at 2015 member's forum that the AFL was onboard a preseason match at Vic Park in 2017, so until we run out onto the ground I won't hold my breath.

Believe it when I see it

Agree that IF Scum Park can get Funding then we should be able to get some for Holden Center to Build a Actual Stadium
A stadium would be far too expensive. But we could definitely do with some money to turn it into a ground that can adequately host matches (even though Vic Park remains my preference)

A stadium would be far too expensive. But we could definitely do with some money to turn it into a ground that can adequately host matches (even though Vic Park remains my preference)

Problem with Vic Park it's the Bloody Council

I saw in The Age today that Ikon Park is going to get funding from the AFL and state government to be turned into an AFLW/VFL hub.

Collingwood should be putting their hands out for a bit of cash to put some seating at the Holden Centre.
Princes Park definitely needs money spent on it if it's to host any sort of game that involves a crowd. The only thing Princes Park has over Victoria Park is a bigger capacity, fixed fencing and Carlton having a lease over the ground. From a playing perspective the concrete visitors race which runs parallel to the fence is an accident waiting to happen and the third rooms used by a second visiting team aren't big enough with massage tables etc spilling out into undercroft of the stand where they aren't screened from the public. From a supporters perspective the timber seating is well worn due to a lack of upkeep/paint and a lot of the signage is similar, worse though is that rows of the Gardiner Stand are fenced off due to rot.

It's also a very poorly thought out ground in terms of layout, perhaps limited by not wanting to increase the footprint into the surrounding park.

The new gym/facility should have been built 10-15m further back from the boundary, in it's current position it restricts views from parts of the Gardiner Stand and doesn't allow for seating to be placed in front of the facility

For something built as recently as the 90s the Legends Stand has sections that are too small

The Heroes Stand occupying about 1 quarter of the ground is mostly corporate boxes​

Re-designed right from the ground up the venue could easily hold 35-40k, but that would cost hundreds of millions and there's better location for that kind of investment.

Problem with Vic Park it's the Bloody Council
The problem is that we gave up the lease and rights to the ground. The council although difficult is guided by rate payers and without a lease they're not obliged to comply or accomodate our wishes.

The problem is that we gave up the lease and rights to the ground. The council although difficult is guided by rate payers and without a lease they're not obliged to comply or accomodate our wishes.

Well then that Tells me Either we try and Buy it Back or just make a Ground/Stadium at Olympic Park.

I can then Understand why some people hate Eddie for Doing That

If Edie can pull this off, I will take back every negative thing I've ever said about him.:D

What's the capacity of Vic Park these days?

They got nearly 7000 to the Bulldogs game last week.
About 15k in the current configuration - Ryder Stand (3k less coaches boxes, TV scaffolding), Sherrin Stand (5k), outer (8k)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know of any developments in terms of vic park for next season?

All women's games should be played there.

The only thing stopping it is feebleness or indifference on behalf of the administration. They held the community cup there this year and host the pub league.

There is simply no comparison watching at the Holden centre. It is a training venue not a spectator venue

Does anyone know of any developments in terms of vic park for next season?

All women's games should be played there.

The only thing stopping it is feebleness or indifference on behalf of the administration. They held the community cup there this year and host the pub league.

There is simply no comparison watching at the Holden centre. It is a training venue not a spectator venue

Still waiting with baited breath on this one. Would be a highlight if it happens.

I'd love an update on this. Vic Park is the perfect venue for the VFL and AFLW. Plenty of grandstand seating, lots of standing space with a good view of the ground. Right next to a train line.

Honestly if we play AFLW games at the Holden Centre again I'll be bitterly disappointed. Its bad enough we have to play VFL games there. Playing AFLW matches there is embarrassing. I'm throwing up typing this but I'd rather play at Ikon Park than the Holden Centre.

I'd love an update on this. Vic Park is the perfect venue for the VFL and AFLW. Plenty of grandstand seating, lots of standing space with a good view of the ground. Right next to a train line.

Honestly if we play AFLW games at the Holden Centre again I'll be bitterly disappointed. Its bad enough we have to play VFL games there. Playing AFLW matches there is embarrassing. I'm throwing up typing this but I'd rather play at Ikon Park than the Holden Centre.

Maybe a bridge too far?

But I know what you mean. I braced myself to attend two of our AFLW games there, and the ground - ahem - is bearable, just bearable, if you close down all your senses and put away your ethical and moral compass.:D

Maybe a bridge too far?

But I know what you mean. I braced myself to attend two of our AFLW games there, and the ground - ahem - is bearable, just bearable, if you close down all your senses and put away your ethical and moral compass.:D

All four games should be at vic park this year.. the worry is the club, with some alterior motive, might want to play half the games at Holden and then blame Yarra...but the truth being a strategically piss week approach was made which Yarra rejected.

All four games should be at vic park this year.. the worry is the club, with some alterior motive, might want to play half the games at Holden and then blame Yarra...but the truth being a strategically piss week approach was made which Yarra rejected.

What about having games as curtain raisers to NAB challenge games out in the regional areas?

(Eg Freo's home game v us at Mandurah?)

What about having games as curtain raisers to NAB challenge games out in the regional areas?

(Eg Freo's home game v us at Mandurah?)

I couldn't give a huge toss about our inter state games so much...but I'd prefer no curtain raisers to men's practice matches. It just devalues the competition...just play our four home games ar vic park, preferably flood lit at night

Are you able to elaborate on this? Yarra are not to be taken lightly, and are still burnt by how the club left Vic Park - i.e. its poor condition - in 2004. It took a lot of negotiation to enable our VFL team to play there.

Seems the absolutely perfect solution for the AFLW team. Using VP as their home ground would go a long way to building support from Pies fans, and creating that special culture which grows out of a firm base, rooted in the club's history. There's a 'spirit of place' at VP, which our girls could tap into.

Are you able to elaborate on this? Yarra are not to be taken lightly, and are still burnt by how the club left Vic Park - i.e. its poor condition - in 2004. It took a lot of negotiation to enable our VFL team to play there.

Seems the absolutely perfect solution for the AFLW team. Using VP as their home ground would go a long way to building support from Pies fans, and creating that special culture which grows out of a firm base, rooted in the club's history. There's a 'spirit of place' at VP, which our girls could tap into.

I know nothing. Pure speculation. Whateverbwas required of the club to negotiate an outcome Collingwood will go unfpders and we'll be left with one token 10am game against freo....the rest will be at the Holden centre with the plebeian at ground level with no cover and the Eddie and the corporates enjoying the plush comfort in the glasshouse!

I couldn't have said your second para better!

Put up or shut up McGuire we've heard this empty talk before. 2015 members forum and a 2017 nab cup game come to mind.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...w/news-story/fef64bf31e59b505a53bbf869e768105
McGuire also flagged future AFLW games at the Magpies' spiritual home, Victoria Park.

“We’re back at the old grounds … and we’ll be at Vic Park,” McGuire said.

“We hope to play games there, I’ve got to check it … but we want to play at Vic Park, absolutely.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back