World Test Championship 2019-2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A thoughtful article from Russell Degnan on how we got here, and where the WTC should go in future

Note that in this image:

View attachment 792751
The second box for the tier two championship should be West Indies, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Scotland.
I love the idea of a WTC fixture being a Champions League style with 2 home and 2 away matches combined into a single 4 match series. I'd also like this format to be condensed into 1 year every 4 years so that the WTC becomes meaningful like the World Cup. You could then have as a loose structure:

Year One: T20 World cup plus bilateral test series
Year Two: ODI World cup plus bilateral test series
Year Three: Intercontinental Cup (or similar) plus bilateral test series
Year 4: WTC

If you ditch the repechage concept above and just have 4 groups of 3 (i.e. each team plays 8 tests) feeding into the top team of each group going through to knock out semis (each team plays 4 tests) and then a single neutral standalone (timeless) final, that means a team will play at least 8 and at most 13 tests in the WTC calendar year. That's around the mark for a feasible year.

A thoughtful article from Russell Degnan on how we got here, and where the WTC should go in future

Note that in this image:

View attachment 792751
The second box for the tier two championship should be West Indies, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Scotland.
I like the idea of getting the next tier of nations into the formal structure. Not so keen on having a second level (or third, given the intercontinental cup games are labeled as Tests on that diagram) of Tests. Tests are supposed to the peak, two tiers takes away some of the mystique of the format to me.

But I haven't yet looked at it beyond first impression.

So who are our other 3 series against in this World test championship ? India at home ? Bangladesh away and ?
Looks to be:
Bangladesh away, June 2020
India at home, Dec 2020 - Jan 2021
South Africa away, Feb - Mar 2021

The only non-WTC Test being Afghanistan at home to start next summer.

Looks to be:
Bangladesh away, June 2020
India at home, Dec 2020 - Jan 2021
South Africa away, Feb - Mar 2021

The only non-WTC Test being Afghanistan at home to start next summer.

so will we avoid england, south africa and india in the next test world championship ? :)

so technically we should get west indies and sri lanka.

again the model isn't ideal, but it's the best we got at the moment.

so will we avoid england, south africa and india in the next test world championship ? :)

so technically we should get west indies and sri lanka.

again the model isn't ideal, but it's the best we got at the moment.
I don't think the next round has been sorted.
Presumably we would miss two of England, South Africa and India. Aftef all, teams must play six of eight possible opponents.
But this no guarantee. Most likely India away and England at home would be two of the six series.

And the next cycle might be four years, as with the World Cup and T20. Maybe twelve series would be included in that case. Six home and six away, playing some teams twice.

It is far from ideal, but a starting point. Until India agree to start playing Pakistan again, and all test nations are included, it can't be ideal. It can still be better, hopefully that will be worked on.

I don't think the next round has been sorted.
Presumably we would miss two of England, South Africa and India. Aftef all, teams must play six of eight possible opponents.
But this no guarantee. Most likely India away and England at home would be two of the six series.

And the next cycle might be four years, as with the World Cup and T20. Maybe twelve series would be included in that case. Six home and six away, playing some teams twice.

It is far from ideal, but a starting point. Until India agree to start playing Pakistan again, and all test nations are included, it can't be ideal. It can still be better, hopefully that will be worked on.

even then it can't work evenly in a 2 year window.

at least with a 4 year window, everyone could play everyone in a home and away series spanning 3 tests. (9 teams, 8 oppositions)

that would mean each country having 2 x 3 test series every home summer and 2 x 3 test series away in their winter.
to keep the traditional iconic series, you could tweak it a little - see below.

a 6 test summer for each country is feasible, even 7 - that way the iconic series could be 4 tests, or it would allow a zim/afg/ire to play a 1 off test.
the minnows could play the sides who don't traditionally don't play more than a 3 test series (nz/pak/sl/pak/bang or each other)
this would also eliminate these mickey mouse 2 test series. only thing though it would mean ashes no longer a 5 test series.

eg. a 4 year home cycle for australia could look something like this:
year 1: eng (4) wi (3) ..... then away sa (4) nz (3)
year 2: ind (4) sl (3) ..... then away bang (3) pak (3) minnow (1)
year 3: sa (4) nz (3) ..... then away eng (4) wi (3)
year 4: bang (3) pak (3) minnow (1) ..... then away ind (4) sl (3)

play 3 or 4 test series, with the one offs against those minnows for now.

all teams could have a model like this and add the odi/T20I component to that tour. eg. 3 x T20I's and 3 odi's, effectively making every tour 3/3/3 or 4/3/3.

who knows, maybe a 4 year world test championship is just too long, then again its no longer than an ODI world cup.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less about a Test Championship. I'm happy just watching the Test being played at the time.

i think many are the same as they are probably unaware of this format.

yeah i didn't hear too many of my mates saying, the 40 points for the match that just finished would be nice. :)

Australia vs India at Lords looks odds on now, failing a massive capitulation vs India at home next year and South Africa away, which we may even be favourites for.

What a match that could potentially be with the respective bowling lineups and Smith vs Kohli side stories.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less about a Test Championship. I'm happy just watching the Test being played at the time.

I'm all for it for the simple fact of playing test blockbusters in neutral venues.

I'll be travelling over there for a Australia vs India, Lords test match if it eventuates.

i think many are the same as they are probably unaware of this format.

yeah i didn't hear too many of my mates saying, the 40 points for the match that just finished would be nice. :)
Give it time. Like everything the ICC does, it's half-arsed to the point of almost being not worth it, but once the final comes around, people will take more notice.

Version 1.0 of most things is a bit crappy, but it will get better.

I'm all for it for the simple fact of playing test blockbusters in neutral venues.

I'll be travelling over there for a Australia vs India, Lords test match if it eventuates.

tests in neutral venues won't work with the crowds etc - a WTC final is different and should work - if it is going to survive moving forward.

there are literally no more tri odi series and the like anymore (minnows excepted) and basically only neutral games at the odi world cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tests in neutral venues won't work with the crowds etc - a WTC final is different and should work - if it is going to survive moving forward.

there are literally no more tri odi series and the like anymore (minnows excepted) and basically only neutral games at the odi world cup.

Yeah, I didn't mean on a regular basis.

I just meant it's going to be an extremely historic and unique one off every few years.

Australia vs India at Lords looks odds on now, failing a massive capitulation vs India at home next year and South Africa away, which we may even be favourites for.

What a match that could potentially be with the respective bowling lineups and Smith vs Kohli side stories.

I'd fancy us in SAF ATM, we'd be desperate to atone for what happened last time and they seem to be in a world of hurt. A lot can obviously change in a 14 month period though.

SA still have an amazing pace attack, wouldn't discount them.

England over there on Boxing Day should give a good idea where they are siting.

Wonder what ball will be used for the final at Lords. The ECB uses the duke ball but since it's an one off ICC event and ICC generally tends to prefer the kookaburra, would be interesting to see what ball is used for the big final.

Is it like the Shield here in the Final ? If it happens to be a draw the top side wins the championship ?

I believe it’s shared.

It should really be a timeless test match, especially if hosted in England.

I’d like it if the venue was always kept neutral depending on the teams, so the final venue is always TBC.

Lords
MCG (As long as they a producing pitches like this year).
Eden Gardens
Wanderers

As the 4 x venues rotated depending on the teams. An Australia vs England game as an example in India in Kolkata would be so unique and interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back