Would Sheeds take on Mark Harvey if Fremantle gave him the flick.

Remove this Banner Ad

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Harvs seems to be a Sheedy favourite and Sheeds has no problems with ex senior coaches working under him.

Do you think if Harvs didnt get a new contract at Fremantle that Sheeds would bring him up to GWS.

Cant see Harvey working in the media if things didnt work out at Freo. For me its still a big IF as I think improvement from the youth will make him unavailable.

It's a possibility but I doubt it. They will want younger, fresher options and people at least either just out of the game or having done an apprenticeship under one of the more modern and/or reasonably modern successful coaches. Harvey at Fremantle has been a disaster and I don't know what his methods are as an assistant, he certainly took his time applying for a senior coach meaning he was obviously hesitanat. That doesn't fill you with a lot of confidence that he's the man to be a part of a brand spanking new entity, and one that is being heavily subsidised by the AFL, who will no doubt have their finger up everything regarding decisions made. Can't see it.

Dont think you would last with Sheeds for the time that he did if you were not good as an assistant coach but Grant Thomas seems to be on the money about a good assistant but not head coach material.

Keep him away from press conferences though. Need a bit of charisma at the media front to help make inroads.

Sheeds not afraid of a bit of seniority in the ranks other than himself and guys like Harley would provide the fresh part of the mix that they need. Sheeds wouldnt be a puppet for the AFL and would demand full control over picking his team.

As I said, I'd hate to see him leave Essendon.

I hope your alcoholic Carlton reject does better things for you :rolleyes:
...and tell Staker Benny wants his bong back.

Wasn't talking about O'Donnell, was talking about Harvey. Don't mind O'Donnell, though haven't exactly kept an eye on him.

I always though that Harvs was a better assistant coach than senior coach.

But not sure if Harvs would want to be back under Sheeds again, has spent most of his life since he was a teenager with him as his boss!

Just for a bit of perspective, Harvey is still a strong chance to be at Fremantle in 2011. Harp on about his performance in the media and his supposed lack of game-day tactics, but he is galvenising the team and bringing in strong leaders with good skills.

But, if he were to leave at the end of 2010, I don't think he'd coach with anyone and move onto life after football.

Sheeds had more trouble offloading Harves than any other of his duds.

Freo had their fill of Bombers heroes, its GWS next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back