Preview 2023 Round 14 – GWS Giants vs Fremantle Dockers, Saturday, June 17, 4:35 PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interested to see what the MC do with the backline (Kelly for Angwin seems obvious). There are 2 first choice defenders who should come straight back in when available. However it has been made clear that HH is going to be used down back for the foreseeable future.

Haynes, Buckley, Ash, Whitfield, Idun, Perryman, HH which is 7 backs. Who drops out for Taylor and Cumming. Perryman to midfield and who else 🤷‍♂️ . The obvious choice would have been Keefe but he was playing as a forward.

So we would have Idun/cumming/Haynes/HH/Buckley/Taylor all playing as either medium or tall defenders which is too many especially for a team wanting to run it out of the backline
One on the bench at any given stage. Idun and Buckley can play small as well.

Very interested to see what the MC do with the backline (Kelly for Angwin seems obvious). There are 2 first choice defenders who should come straight back in when available. However it has been made clear that HH is going to be used down back for the foreseeable future.

Haynes, Buckley, Ash, Whitfield, Idun, Perryman, HH which is 7 backs. Who drops out for Taylor and Cumming. Perryman to midfield and who else 🤷‍♂️ . The obvious choice would have been Keefe but he was playing as a forward.

So we would have Idun/cumming/Haynes/HH/Buckley/Taylor all playing as either medium or tall defenders which is too many especially for a team wanting to run it out of the backline
It's definitely a stacked defensive line if HH stays back with Taylor and Cumming back in.

I see it as two respective groups - the tall/medium defenders and the offensive-minded medium defenders

1. Haynes, Buckley, Taylor, Idun

2. Cumming, Himmelberg, Whitfield, Ash

So far, my bold predictions would be:

Kelly (or Wehr) for Angwin
Taylor (or Cumming) replacing Lloyd, with Himmelberg moving to HF

I wouldn't be having the whole 4, what are underdone players return to the side in the same week.

2 at the most.

It's definitely a stacked defensive line if HH stays back with Taylor and Cumming back in.

I see it as two respective groups - the tall/medium defenders and the offensive-minded medium defenders

1. Haynes, Buckley, Taylor, Idun

2. Cumming, Himmelberg, Whitfield, Ash
That’s my point. You can’t play all 8 of them in the backline.

HH fits in to cat 1 not 2. Can’t play him on medium or smalls unless he is trying to zone off which is what Haynes is already doing.

So far, my bold predictions would be:

Kelly (or Wehr) for Angwin
Taylor (or Cumming) replacing Lloyd, with Himmelberg moving to HF

I wouldn't be having the whole 4, what are underdone players return to the side in the same week.

2 at the most.
If fit, Kelly, Taylor and Cumming will be straight in.
I suspect Wehr will come back through reserves.

if all available. I suspect we'll see Lloyd, Keefe and one of Brown or Angwin miss. Brown would be stiff after his game on the weekend.

Whitfield Taylor Ash
Cumming Buckley Idun
Angwin Cogs Callaghan
Greene Riccardi Brown
Bedford Hogan XOH
Briggs Green Kelly

HH Ward Haynes Perryman

Sub: Fahey

6 on the field and 1 on the bench. But 8 players 🤷‍♂️

Who do you drop?
From an armchair perspective, moving HH forward seems like the obvious solution. But Kingsley has said multiple times recently that they want him in defence.

Could Whitfield possibly move to a wing or forward? He's played both of those positions in the past.

From an armchair perspective, moving HH forward seems like the obvious solution. But Kingsley has said multiple times recently that they want him in defence.

Could Whitfield possibly move to a wing or forward? He's played both of those positions in the past.
Personally I'd prefer Whitfield on the wing rather than someone like Ash.

Whitfield seems to have found his kicking boots the last couple weeks and the side would really benefit from some clean I50 entries. Would be a direct replacement for Angwin.

The club has been trying to increase attendance by texting members asking them to see Toby score his 300th goal (he needs just 3 more). Also, baring any misadventures, Whitfield will have his 200th game at our next home match vs Hawthorn. Some significant milestones for our next couple of hone games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team sheet is in:

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Ash

C: Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Finn Callaghan

HF: Callum Brown, Jake Riccardi, Toby Greene

FF: Xavier O’Halloran, Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford

RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Daniel Lloyd, Lachlan Keeffe, Nick Haynes, Harry Perryman

In: Josh Kelly, Sam Taylor
Out: Ryan Angwin, Josh Fahey (omitted)

Emergencies: Isaac Cumming, Ryan Angwin, Aaron Cadman, Josh Fahey

---

I got the ins correct, but I don't think Lloyd should have kept his spot.

Hasn't really done much in recent weeks.

Team sheet is in:

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Ash

C: Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Finn Callaghan

HF: Callum Brown, Jake Riccardi, Toby Greene

FF: Xavier O’Halloran, Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford

RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Daniel Lloyd, Lachlan Keeffe, Nick Haynes, Harry Perryman

In: Josh Kelly, Sam Taylor
Out: Ryan Angwin, Josh Fahey (omitted)

Emergencies: Isaac Cumming, Ryan Angwin, Aaron Cadman, Josh Fahey

---

I got the ins correct, but I don't think Lloyd should have kept his spot.

Hasn't really done much in recent weeks.
I think there was an article about Lloyd being highest rated on the ground last weekend by champion data

I think there was an article about Lloyd being highest rated on the ground last weekend by champion data
I did notice that, but stats can be misleading.

With Lloyd, from my perspective, his kicking has deteriorated and there were many 'hospital' handballs.

I get a bit jack of raw possession data being used as a barometer on how well someone has played.

I did notice that, but stats can be misleading.

With Lloyd, from my perspective, his kicking has deteriorated and there were many 'hospital' handballs.

I get a bit jack of raw possession data being used as a barometer on how well someone has played.
Fair point but who would you replace him with? He plays wing/HFF. I’m a fan of Angwin but similar to Cadman his output hasn’t been there so a break will do him good. We don’t have a plethora of small forwards to replace him with either. Daniels and wehr might put pressure on his spot after the bye.

Fair point but who would you replace him with? He plays wing/HFF. I’m a fan of Angwin but similar to Cadman his output hasn’t been there so a break will do him good. We don’t have a plethora of small forwards to replace him with either. Daniels and wehr might put pressure on his spot after the bye.

Considering the line-up selected and since Lloyd is on the interchange bench, I probably would have kept Fahey.

His kicking has already been shown to be better and I'd rather build the games in him than a player who has well and truly peaked.

It feels like this is the battle of which version of the team turns up. Both sides have been up and down
Yeah, that's very true isn't it? The "good" GWS team has traditionally been more likely to turn up at home than away - although that might have been challenged by this year's results (beat Hawks in Adelaide, Sydney @ SCG, Cats @ GMHBA, Norths @ Blundstone).

I am hoping we can recapture last week's attack (plenty of I50s) and improve on defence with Sam Taylor back, to achieve a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back