Autopsy 2023 Round 14 – GWS Giants vs Fremantle Dockers, Saturday, June 17, 4:35 PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Callum Brown has become a weapon forward, just needs to finesse a few things.
There was a great chase down tackle that Brown did on the left wing - think he's done enough to get another contract.

Incredible performance from the boys and a fantastic atmosphere at the game. One of the loudest and most energetic crowds I’ve been part of and if we can bump it up by another couple of thousand the ground will really be rocking.

The pressure we applied was immense, the run and carry was like the old days and the hard work was finished off up forward.

Brown is really emerging nicely as a forward too. Can chip in with long range goals but more importantly is just such a beast of an athlete, meaning he can do things others cannot.

Briggs is the find of the year for sure. I know his contact isn’t up yet but it would still be great to extend him before other clubs start sniffing around.

Honestly didn’t think there was all that much in the Whitfield tackle. Slingy motion but appeared to dump him on his body rather than his head.

We’ve now matched our win tally from 2022 and on current form you’d expect us to add a few more scalps. Might not make the top 8 this year but really excited about the trajectory this group appears to be on.

Crowd was 8,633 according to this link. Had optimistically thought we could have nudged 10k with the promotion our club did including the halftime kids parade, the designation of this game as a Recruits match, as well as the prospect of Toby getting 300 goals. In the end, still a good crowd for Giants stadium considering Fremantle is not a big club like Richmond and Carlton (who whilst they got over 9k couldn’t still get over 10k), and a bigger attendance than for our St Kilda and Adelaide matches.

Crowd was 8,633 according to this link. Had optimistically thought we could have nudged 10k with the promotion our club did including the halftime kids parade, the designation of this game as a Recruits match, as well as the prospect of Toby getting 300 goals. In the end, still a good crowd for Giants stadium considering Fremantle is not a big club like Richmond and Carlton (who whilst they got over 9k couldn’t still get over 10k), and a bigger attendance than for our St Kilda and Adelaide matches.

Pretty sure that could be our biggest crowd at Giants stadium against the Heav Hoes.

Yep and definitely one of the more GWS-biased crowds we’ve had in Sydney for a long time. A smattering of Freo fans around but this felt like a proper home game.
Decent effort considering against a low drawing team and Parra vs Manly had over 21,000 at the same time. Wests game wouldn’t have affected too much

There was a great chase down tackle that Brown did on the left wing - think he's done enough to get another contract.
He was really solid, was strong in the air and worked hard with his pressure acts keeping it in the F50 with TFG, XOH and snooze

Pretty sure that could be our biggest crowd at Giants stadium against the Heav Hoes.
Unfortunately this is our lowest crowd against Fremantle in Giants Stadium. We have only ever played them twice before at Giants Stadium and had crowds of 11,233 (2017) and 9,556 (2016). But that was during our “glory days” onfield, and hopefully as Kingsley guides us to consistent onfield successes and finals, the crowds will increase.

Yep and definitely one of the more GWS-biased crowds we’ve had in Sydney for a long time. A smattering of Freo fans around but this felt like a proper home game.
I watched the first half on my phone and was shocked at the number in the stand on TV, knowing that it was Fremantle and only the cheer squad would likely be supporting them - so those in shot are presumably all GWS supporters showing up as casuals!

The Suttor and Member stands were the busiest of the last 3 games (Saints/Richmond and now Freo) that I've seen right up to the top levels.

Can't speak to what they were like before as this was my third home game but it was impressive to say the least.

In my mind it's all relative, anyhow. If we're seeing Year on Year (YoY) growth in member/attendance numbers then the trajectory is up and we'll soon be nipping at the heels of our previous highest numbers... Especially with the atmosphere of the last two home games. Absolutely fantastic.

Cadman worked bloody hard d … once he gets a few kilos on he’ll be a gun
No argument from me - but seriously, 3 handballs & a tap-on doesn’t mean he should hold his spot at the moment. Not when you have another young kid in Derksen tearing it up in the VFL.

Riccardi was dropped, went back & worked on some stuff & now look.

Cadman will be a gun, I have little doubt, but he has zero confidence at the moment. Marks he should have clunked went straight through his fingers, or worse, he misjudged them completely. Doesn’t matter how hard you work, you’ve got to contribute more than he’s doing at the moment.

key positions often take longer, I’m happy with that, give him the time. But your development & confidence comes in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No argument from me - but seriously, 3 handballs & a tap-on doesn’t mean he should hold his spot at the moment. Not when you have another young kid in Derksen tearing it up in the VFL.

Cadman will be a gun, I have little doubt, but he has zero confidence at the moment. Marks he should have clunked went straight through his fingers, or worse, he misjudged them completely. Doesn’t matter how hard you work, you’ve got to contribute more than he’s doing at the moment.

key positions often take longer, I’m happy with that, give him the time. But your development & confidence comes in the VFL.
Not saying he is undroppable … more that he actually shows a lot and I’m bullish on him

A key negative from the game was the MRO on Whitfield’s tackle. If he gets suspended for 1 week as speculated, then his 200th game (3rd ever Giant to achieve this milestone), will not be at home vs Hawthorn in 3 weeks time but rather against Adelaide in Adelaide.

Brown was also dropped off the back of one bad game. I'd really like to see Cadman get 20 touches in the VFL. If that means he has to play in defence or wing then so be it. Mentally it's not good to have such little disposal numbers for a long period.

Hogan will come back and he’ll get time to build in the twos. There’s good signs from him. He competes really hard, hits packs and doesnt give up. In a couple of years he will be a good contributor.
Brown was also dropped off the back of one bad game. I'd really like to see Cadman get 20 touches in the VFL. If that means he has to play in defence or wing then so be it. Mentally it's not good to have such little disposal numbers for a long period.
The best thing for him now, after he’s had a really good taste of the level, is to go back and build his confidence and skill set.

Promotix were giving out a lot of freebies for the game, so for me that's a disappointing crowd, and the still's shown earlier on the thread just before kick off showed the crowd to be sparse

That was 20 mins before the bounce.
We haven't cracked 10k for a long time at Giants stadium, but you are welcome to read through the threads here to get an idea of what happened since 2019.
I do, but as i have said in this thread Promotix were giving out freebies for the game, and in my opinion the crowd should have been more

That was 20 mins before the bounce.
We haven't cracked 10k for a long time at Giants stadium, but you are welcome to read through the threads here to get an idea of what happened since 2019.
He is an anti-Giants troll since day dot.

Have tried discussing it with him in the past but realised he is a clueless muppet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back