Preview 2023 Round 14 – GWS Giants vs Fremantle Dockers, Saturday, June 17, 4:35 PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
After some lethargic play in the first half of the game against the Kangaroos, Giants finally clicked into gear in the second half to record its fifth - and biggest margin - win of the season to date. While it really wasn't the "orange tsunami", there were certainly good passages of play. In the first half it was frustrating as we seemed incapable of marking anything in the F50, and scored scrappy goals. It was an odd tactical decision, having brought back Lachie Keeffe last week to the backline while resisting dropping Aaron Cadman, to suddenly drop Cadman move Keeffe forward and slot Harry Himmelberg into defence. While HH was OK in defence, Jack Buckley has struggled the last few weeks taking the opposition's best player in the absence of Sam Taylor. Callum Brown added some spark forward, while Keiran Briggs continued his huge momentum with a solid points-win over veteran Todd Goldstein.

So, what about our opponents next week? Fremantle have run hot and cold this season. Expected to do well this season on the back of breaking into finals last year, they started 1-3; more recently they had a winning run of 4 games, before being toppled in the wet at home by the Tigers in their last game (by a larger margin than our loss to Tigers). They now sit even at 6-6, a win ahead of us. Sean Darcy was out injured for their last game, while Jaeger O'Meara sat it out on suspension. His return will bolster a midfield that has some highly rated youngster such as Andrew Brayshaw and Caleb Serong. Darcy's hammy was described as 1 to 2 weeks, so will he return for this game, will Jackson ruck solo, or does Freo bring in a debutant ruckman to return to their previous successful set-up with Jackson forward? They will be looking to get an away win against us to move closer to the top 8 and a potential finals berth.

And what about changes for the successful Giants? While coaches are usually reluctant to make changes to winning teams, Kingsley remarked that four experienced players are likely to be available for this round - Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming, Josh Kelly and Jacob Wehr. Where do they slot into this side? While I still don't really rate Ryan Angwin, I don't think that Jacob Wehr necessarily displaces him immediately after a long lay-off. Josh Fahey had a solid game in his first start, but you'd expect Isaac Cumming regains his spot after a few weeks out. I wouldn't be fussed if they gave Cheese an extra couple of weeks to ensure he's fully fit, but that's not how it normally rolls. Taylor and Kelly are clear selections if fit.

My view would be Taylor returns to the backline, displacing Himmelberg back to the forward line, and Lachie Keeffe goes back to VFL with thanks for his last 2 weeks. Kelly could come back into the team either on Angwin's wing, or potentially in place of Dan Lloyd. I think after his 3 goals against Kangaroos that Callum Brown keeps his place forward.

That would see a team of:

FB: Nick Haynes, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash
C: Finn Callaghan, Harry Perryman, Ryan Angwin
HF: Josh Kelly, Jake Riccardi, Toby Greene
FF: Xavier O’Halloran, Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford
RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Callan Ward, Callum Brown, Harry Himmelberg, Isaac Cumming

In: Josh Kelly, Isaac Cumming, Sam Taylor
Out: Daniel Lloyd, Josh Fahey, Lachlan Keeffe (omitted)

What are your thoughts?

There’s a fair chance Taylor, Cumming and Kelly all come straight back in.

Haynes Taylor HH
Idun Buckley Whitfield
Callaghan Cogs Angwin
Greene Riccardi Browne
XOH Hogan Bedford
Briggs Green Kelly

Ash Cumming Ward Perryman

Not a bad side. Daniels to come in in a couple of weeks will be a great inclusion.

The other point I meant to canvas was whether Jesse Hogan needed to have a rest. He certainly seemed out of sorts against the Kangas and struggled to mark anything, although ultimately kicked 2 goals. Do we freshen him up by giving him an extra week off - meaning he'd come back to training in the week after the bye after a full 2 weeks off? Or do we just keep playing him if he's physically OK?

The club will be sweating on of its an embarrassing turnout, with Freo not being a big away drawing club. I fear we won’t crack 7k.
The Sat twilight does suit us best though. Give every kid who plays in Sydney a family pass to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The club will be sweating on of its an embarrassing turnout, with Freo not being a big away drawing club. I fear we won’t crack 7k.
The Sat twilight does suit us best though. Give every kid who plays in Sydney a family pass to get in.

Geez I wish I lived in Sydney. I’d be there with a few mates for sure.

lots of issues with the Sydney side of things. And it aint the clubs players or grassroots efforts which are A1.

If this was the Richmond time slot it would’ve been a better turnout but we’ve made it hard for ourselves putting a low drawing team in a decent time slot at the sametime Parra vs Manly at Commbank. (West Tigers play at 7:30pm as well)

This game should’ve been at Canberra at 1pm on a Sunday or whichever time suits especially with the Raiders having a bye

That said I will be there for both games

Shaping to be a close game. Fremantle were on a roll until they lost to Richmond in Optus. We are slight underdogs at $2.10 (Freo are $1.77). Our win against Norths, as well as the probable return of a couple of our injured stars, do give us reasons to be optimistic. Win and we will be 6-8 going to the bye - good result for a team learning a new system under a first time coach

If this was the Richmond time slot it would’ve been a better turnout but we’ve made it hard for ourselves putting a low drawing team in a decent time slot at the sametime Parra vs Manly at Commbank. (West Tigers play at 7:30pm as well)

This game should’ve been at Canberra at 1pm on a Sunday or whichever time suits especially with the Raiders having a bye

That said I will be there for both games
The last time Fremantle played at Giants Stadium was 2017, so I guess it was reasonable for the AFL to fixture the game for Giants Stadium.

We have played Fremantle only 5 times at home in our entire history, with 3 of these games played at Manuka including the last home and away game of 2022.

But I agree that clashes with NRL games in western Sydney will not maximise attendances. We have not cracked 10k in Giants Stadium since September 2019, and I think we will need to wait till the Sydney derby to have the next 10k+ crowd attendance.

Everyone bring at least a couple of friends and hopefully get a reasonable crowd. Saw family tickets are $30, bargain!

Back to the game, this should be another close one. Fingers crossed Darcy doesn’t get up for this one. We have a couple of stars to come straight back in (Taylor, Kelly, and maybe Cumming). Really need to fix up our inside 50s disposals, been getting in there, just poorly. Also goal kicking accuracy needs a bit of work.

Bring it on!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone bring at least a couple of friends and hopefully get a reasonable crowd. Saw family tickets are $30, bargain!

That needs to be broadcast to anyone and everyone in Sydney who likes the sport. We get 15k if that is known with good weather.
Problem is the club isn't good at getting it out there to those who matter in time.

That needs to be broadcast to anyone and everyone in Sydney who likes the sport. We get 15k if that is known with good weather.
Problem is the club isn't good at getting it out there to those who matter in time.
I noticed the ads appearing on Facebook a week earlier than normal.

Ads for this game started about Tuesday last week when they'd normally appear the Monday/Tuesday the week of the round.

Not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things but given it's a Saturday game I feel they're well and truly trying to raise awareness (particularly when there's been feedback about Sunday games conflicting when their target market is at Auskick).

The Facebook interactions I've seen on the ads for this weeks game are quite easily the biggest compared to the two previous home games. What that means for attendance remains to be seen...

Last edited:
Also it’s a designated Recruit game - your Recruit child can bring 4 free family members to the game

Can't make it, first one I've missed this year - daughter has a choir concert right in the lead-up, and can't fly across town in time to get there. :(

Daughter's somewhat annoyed too because she got invited to do the half time parade of local clubs but will have to miss it.

Can't make it, first one I've missed this year - daughter has a choir concert right in the lead-up, and can't fly across town in time to get there. :(

Daughter's somewhat annoyed too because she got invited to do the half time parade of local clubs but will have to miss it.
Have the choir concert at Giants Stadium as part of the entertainment around the ground

Giants love to support local community groups, introduce more people to the game and more importantly you and your daughter are able to go the game

It's a win win 😂

I always get sucked in to thinking we will get back to back wins, I can see us pushing Freo, especially at home with Briggs flying and Darcy being out.
Amazing that Briggs has become such a weapon so quickly.
If Cumming, Taylor and Kelly all come back in it'll be huge for our structure. Cumming and Taylor probably more important at this stage, Buckley taking their second tall is going to be much better.

I always get sucked in to thinking we will get back to back wins, I can see us pushing Freo, especially at home with Briggs flying and Darcy being out.
Amazing that Briggs has become such a weapon so quickly.
If Cumming, Taylor and Kelly all come back in it'll be huge for our structure. Cumming and Taylor probably more important at this stage, Buckley taking their second tall is going to be much better.

Very interested to see what the MC do with the backline (Kelly for Angwin seems obvious). There are 2 first choice defenders who should come straight back in when available. However it has been made clear that HH is going to be used down back for the foreseeable future.

Haynes, Buckley, Ash, Whitfield, Idun, Perryman, HH which is 7 backs. Who drops out for Taylor and Cumming. Perryman to midfield and who else 🤷‍♂️ . The obvious choice would have been Keefe but he was playing as a forward.

So we would have Idun/cumming/Haynes/HH/Buckley/Taylor all playing as either medium or tall defenders which is too many especially for a team wanting to run it out of the backline

Very interested to see what the MC do with the backline (Kelly for Angwin seems obvious). There are 2 first choice defenders who should come straight back in when available. However it has been made clear that HH is going to be used down back for the foreseeable future.

Haynes, Buckley, Ash, Whitfield, Idun, Perryman, HH which is 7 backs. Who drops out for Taylor and Cumming. Perryman to midfield and who else 🤷‍♂️ . The obvious choice would have been Keefe but he was playing as a forward.

So we would have Idun/cumming/Haynes/HH/Buckley/Taylor all playing as either medium or tall defenders which is too many especially for a team wanting to run it out of the backline
Ooft yeah. Himmel back forward maybe. I don't see how it fits otherwise.
-
Buckley Taylor Haynes
Idun Ash Whitfield

Cogs Kelly Green
Callaghan Briggs Perryman

Riccardi Hogan Greene
Bedford O'Halloran Himmelberg

Bench:
Ward Cumming Angwin Brown
-
Good team!

Keefe will come out.
I suspect HH switches forward or less likely Haynes does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back