Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a seriously good use computer diagnostics:

1586132642280.png

I think it's more likely that someone with an exposed wound came into contact with the blood of an animal they killed to eat.

A butcher in a village with a cut on the finger is more plausible to me than holding down a monkey and getting it on.

No matter what Dave says
And from there, the most likely hypothesis for the virus really escaping Africa en masse (there were definitely a few deadend exports prior to 1965 however) seems to be Haitian workers who had been sent over to the DRC in 1960 to help them set up government properly, as the departing Belgian colonial authorities had left them with precious little.

A few years later, Haitians return to Haiti infected, the virus then circulates more widely in Haiti, and eventually enough infected Haitians make their way to the US between 1966 and the early 1970s that the virus took hold.

This is for HIV-1 anyway. HIV-2 came from West Africa and for migratory pattern reasons and seemingly the lower virulence of HIV-2, it has spread relatively little outside West Africa.

Last edited:
If I went off to climb Mt Imaginary down south by myself but a storm hit, I got snowed under and a team of people had to come and rescue me - it's causing a burden that was completely not required because I could go for a hike here instead.
Overnight hiking is effectively banned in Victoria due to the closure of all campgrounds, even remote ones that can only be reached by hikers. I emailed Parks Victoria to confirm as I was planning on hiking over Easter.

I understand isolation measures need to be in place but solo fishing is banned and solo overnight hiking is effectively banned which I would have thought were ok activities.

I think it's more likely that someone with an exposed wound came into contact with the blood of an animal they killed to eat.

A butcher in a village with a cut on the finger is more plausible to me than holding down a monkey and getting it on.

No matter what Dave says

Eating live monkey is a thing though

Overnight hiking is effectively banned in Victoria due to the closure of all campgrounds, even remote ones that can only be reached by hikers. I emailed Parks Victoria to confirm as I was planning on hiking over Easter.

I understand isolation measures need to be in place but solo fishing is banned and solo overnight hiking is effectively banned which I would have thought were ok activities.

Just a guess, I suspect it was because people were going camping/fishing/hiking and "Dedrie Chambers, what a coincidence!" they bump into their mates and get their drink on.

I know in the USA national parks got slammed, and park rangers actually got infected from the people coming in

Just a guess, I suspect it was because people were going camping/fishing/hiking and "Dedrie Chambers, what a coincidence!" they bump into their mates and get their drink on.

I know in the USA national parks got slammed, and park rangers actually got infected from the people coming in

Cuomo was encouraging people to go to various parks last week...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I definitely understand the drive in campsite ban (some of them will have hundreds of people in peak season).

It's teh smaller hiking only sites with say 8 tent spots (e.g. Beeripmo walk) that I have an issue with.

There are 4 strains of coronaviridae that are present in Australian bat species.

It could have just as likely occurred here.
Tell me
Are you comfortable and supporting of the social distancing?
Are you supportive of the global economic shut-down?
Do you trust the figures we are provided? Cases? Deaths?
Are you concerned that governments and media are not promoting healthy food, exercise, sunlight for people to strengthen the immune systems?

Tell me
Are you comfortable and supporting of the social distancing?
Are you supportive of the global economic shut-down?
Do you trust the figures we are provided? Cases? Deaths?
Are you concerned that governments and media are not promoting healthy food, exercise, sunlight for people to strengthen the immune systems?

1) Yes.
2) Yes, in as much as it is a byproduct of the situation. Biology doesn't give 2 stuffs about economics, law, politics, etc
3-5) I can't see why not.
6) No.

Cuomo was encouraging people to go to various parks last week...

Yes but with a qualifier (also he's referring to local urban parks, not national parks):

On Wednesday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo finally announced that New York City would close its playgrounds — but leave parks open. He encouraged New Yorkers to keep going outside — while maintaining a six-foot distance from each other. “Use the open space in a park, walk around, get some sun, great,” he said. “No density, no basketball games, no close contact.”

Yes but with a qualifier (also he's referring to local urban parks, not national parks):

On Wednesday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo finally announced that New York City would close its playgrounds — but leave parks open. He encouraged New Yorkers to keep going outside — while maintaining a six-foot distance from each other. “Use the open space in a park, walk around, get some sun, great,” he said. “No density, no basketball games, no close contact.”

Sounded like all parks when I was listening to him speak. What's. State park?"

New York will waive all fees, for state, local and county parks as millions of familie"

16 Mar 2020 · —

I definitely understand the drive in campsite ban (some of them will have hundreds of people in peak season).

It's teh smaller hiking only sites with say 8 tent spots (e.g. Beeripmo walk) that I have an issue with.

USA experience is everything is being hit, as people look to find ways to live outside social isolation restrictions.

This from Bloomberg is a short comment on it:

Meanwhile, reports from across the country describe parks as overrun, with cars “spilling out of trailhead parking lots.” In Colorado, California and Washington, many parks have closed. Officials in the Adirondacks have begged would-be visitors to stay away. State officials in New York urge people using outdoor spaces to “stay local and keep visits short.”

It's origin is unknown no?
Pretty sure it's never been pin-pointed to an exact location, but there are 3 main theories as to the location of its origin:
1.Kansas (where the first documented case is, in an Army barracks)
2. somewhere on the battlefields of France
3. Southern China

CLARISA DIAZ / WNYC & GOTHAMIST
State And National Park Fees Waived Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
4:35 p.m.
New York state parks and the national park system are waiving fees and encouraging visitors to take in fresh air during the COVID-19 outbreak.
“I’ve directed the National Park Service to waive entrance fees at parks that remain open. This small step makes it a little easier for the American public to enjoy the outdoors in our incredible National Parks,” said Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt in a press release Wednesday.
“Our vast public lands that are overseen by the Department offer special outdoor experiences to recreate, embrace nature and implement some social distancing.

USA experience is everything is being hit, as people look to find ways to live outside social isolation restrictions.

This from Bloomberg is a short comment on it:

Meanwhile, reports from across the country describe parks as overrun, with cars “spilling out of trailhead parking lots.” In Colorado, California and Washington, many parks have closed. Officials in the Adirondacks have begged would-be visitors to stay away. State officials in New York urge people using outdoor spaces to “stay local and keep visits short.”
New Zealand have more or less closed their parks too. Certainly, all carparks, information centres and backcountry huts are closed.

If you go on the DoC site, they basically say you should only use a walking track in one of their conservation areas or national parks if it is immediately local to you; if you need to drive at all to get to the trailhead, that’s not local.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back