Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No deaths in Vietnam but all schools country wide have been closed for 3 weeks. Some talk around that they will remain closed til end of March.

No wonder. The northern border with China is quite porous. Not only do the hill tribes ignore the border, smugglers and merchants cross at will. At one border post I went to, there is a big ditch and fence delineating the border. Follow the fence 500m and there's a well-trodden footpath going around the end. In other places, I was riding my motorbike on local trails and you'd go up a steep hill and at the top is a concrete block marking the border. That's all.

border.jpg
Biggest regret: not taking the extra few steps just to say I'd been to China.
Biggest relief: not worrying about how much each side's military was surveilling the spot.

Dozens of protesters have clashed with police and hurled stones at buses in Ukraine carrying more than 70 people who were evacuated from China over fears about the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

Although Ukrainian authorities have worked to assure local residents in the village of Novi Sanzhary that none of the evacuees have symptoms of the virus, panic over a potential outbreak in the Eastern European country led to some residents attempting to block the buses.

SBU, Ukraine’s security service, said in a statement that a fake email purportedly from the country’s health ministry had circulated claiming some evacuees had contracted the virus.

No wonder. The northern border with China is quite porous. Not only do the hill tribes ignore the border, smugglers and merchants cross at will. At one border post I went to, there is a big ditch and fence delineating the border. Follow the fence 500m and there's a well-trodden footpath going around the end. In other places, I was riding my motorbike on local trails and you'd go up a steep hill and at the top is a concrete block marking the border. That's all.

View attachment 826709
Biggest regret: not taking the extra few steps just to say I'd been to China.
Biggest relief: not worrying about how much each side's military was surveilling the spot.
Only 16 reported cases, 15 cleared with 1 still having corona. Could be a lot worse here the number of Chinese who travel through and the land border you mentioned.

Money triumphs over health concerns, well done ScoMo

Relaxation of travel ban looms for students following official health advice

Putting his career on the line. Nobody who loses a family member will forgive or forget.

Better advised to play safe and follow Trump's lead.

Students who have been given everything they ever wanted in their life are going to self quarantine, yet business people, families, and investors will not?

this is the worst of both options. its either saying the quarantine isnt really needed AND it has picked the most weak willed impetuous group to accept self quarantine

a typical ScoMo response

its either saying the quarantine isnt really needed AND it has picked the most weak willed impetuous group to accept self quarantine

I think it says "We can't contain it". This is a political timebomb given the lack of concrete information that has been made available to the public.

Hitting Campbell's tomorrow morning to stockpile.

How a fake email sparked a mass coronavirus panic in Ukraine (paywalled)
Riots have broken out in a sleepy Ukrainian town over the coronavirus despite there being no confirmed cases in the country.

A fake email claiming to be from Ukraine’s health ministry said there were five cases of the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country, on the same day a plane carrying evacuees from China arrived, according to Buzzfeed News.

Protesters responded by throwing rocks at the windows of buses carrying evacuees through the town of Novi Sanzhary, in Ukraine’s Poltava region.

They took to burning tyres, clashing with hundreds of riot police and setting fire to makeshift barricades, despite President Volodymyr Zelensky reassuring the country had everything under control.

“Attention! The reports about five confirmed cases of COVID-19 coronavirus in Ukraine are UNTRUE,” the Center for Public Health said in a statement.

Is there much known about Covid19's severity in babies and children? I have an eight month old and I know most affected people seem to be older, but it's obviously of some concern when you have a little one.

getting a few areas of concern now just in recent days:

- the lag in positives from the people who have left the two boats (australia has another 2 from that, taking our total to 21)
- people who have been cleared being found to still have the virus in their system
- a bunch of religious doomsday cultists at the epicentre of the spread in south korea, which doubled numbers to 200 in one day
- iran getting 13 in one day, going up to 18
- indonesia having zero cases because they believe in god (not kidding, statement from the president)
- a spike in positives in chinese prisons
- japan crossing 100 positives, and releasing its people on the diamond princess straight back into the community

while numbers in china are grinding to a halt, thats because they are back to only counting positive lab tests. clinical and scan diagnosis are being ignored. my question is how many people being clinically diagnoses are not even getting a lab test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there much known about Covid19's severity in babies and children? I have an eight month old and I know most affected people seem to be older, but it's obviously of some concern when you have a little one.

Money triumphs over health concerns, well done ScoMo

Relaxation of travel ban looms for students following official health advice

Idiotic decision especially as even the WHO is starting to get worried. Eithrt driven by money or they are getting worried about the marginal seats with large Chinese populations

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Idiotic decision especially as even the WHO is starting to get worried. Eithrt driven by money or they are getting worried about the marginal seats with large Chinese populations

Easier than that:

1) uni's stand to lose billions. 25% of their international students are from china, some as high as 50%

2) between the bushfires and corona, economists estimate australia's growth is already at 0%. With the prospect of $12b in mining/tourism/student exports being lost this year, continuing the ban is likely to push us into recession

Not quite:
abc said:
Health Minister Greg Hunt has today revealed Year 11 and 12 students from mainland China, excluding from Hubei, will be considered on a special case-by-case basis.

If the states and territories agree, students will be tested for the coronavirus before leaving China and on arrival in Australia, and will have to self-isolate for 14 days.

Mr Hunt said medical authorities believed the virus was contained in Australia and slowing globally.

As if any teenager will stand being cooped up for a fortnight.

Not quite:

IMO this is first step - high schools start earlier than uni's, so they do need to return earlier. also its a softer sell, high school kids are never bagged in the whole international student debate (its always uni students).

get the HS students in, show it "works" then bring in the uni students.

as said, IMO

Not quite:

I wonder what the consequences are for breeching the self isolation, something appropriate like the Christmas island, jail or a return to China or a naughty naughty please dont do it again but we understand you needed to get your latte from that particular shop.

Coronavirus: asymptomatic Wuhan woman shows why outbreak 'will be hard to stop'

Case study of 20-year-old who infected relatives despite not showing signs of illness – and testing negative – stokes global pandemic fears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back