2nds WWT Eagles vs Port Adelaide - Round 5 @ Woodville

Remove this Banner Ad

40746181583_4a270b9135_c.jpg
I've seen this before.
40746181583_4a270b9135_c.jpg

Ladhams has to come in one week to give Ryder a rest imo. Gold Coast game would be perfect.
vs Gold Coast, why wouldn't we rest some of our senior blokes and give the kids a taste? R.Gray out for Frampton, Ryder out for Ladhams, Westhoff out for Atley. I know you don't want to flirt with form, but it's a long year (found out last at 11-4) and we could blood kids that will hopefully keep them around for the Post Boak era!

I worry that people who don’t know better read your posts and give more weight to your opinions than they should
What an inciteful rebuttal. We are all so lucky to be able to bask in your glory on this site, and to get the opportunity to read the facts that you clarify for us. I only hope that the gospel you have been spreading is reaching as many Bigfooty posters as possible so we can all be enlightened by your genius.

Hartlett's career going very Salopekish, as much as I hate to say it.

Hartlett has had a more successful career than Salopek but it's a great comparison.

2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017 were injury free years for Hartlett and during those seasons he played his best footy (13/14 were his best).
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/H/Hamish_Hartlett.html

With the recent hamstring issues it's not looking good. It's almost at the stage now where it's becoming a question of which injury he will have next, rather than whether he can have an injury free season.

Great win by the Magpies!

Hartlett has had a more successful career than Salopek but it's a great comparison.

2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017 were injury free years for Hartlett and during those seasons he played his best footy (13/14 were his best).
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/H/Hamish_Hartlett.html

With the recent hamstring issues it's not looking good. It's almost at the stage now where it's becoming a question of which injury he will have next, rather than whether he can have an injury free season.

Great win by the Magpies!
I don't want you to be right, so my take is that he's tried to rush his return and that these set backs are the consequence.

Garner looks a player. Just needs to hang in there to get his chance at AFL level. Composed, team orientated footballer.

Frampton is a KPF and not a genuine ruckman. Can we continue to develop him with this in mind. Good game by Billy.

Ladhams will form a terrific tandem with Hayes in years to come. He is really impressive.

Port Adelaide’s tall forward Billy Frampton took Saturday’s game against Woodville-West Torrens by the scruff of the neck, and coach Matthew Lokan said it was the type of performance his side had been searching for.

Frampton kicked five goals, took eight marks (five contested), had 10 hitouts and collected 15 disposals around the ground in the Magpies 37-point win over the Eagles.

“We have probably lacked that (tall forward),” Lokan said. “Frampton was out suspended for two weeks but just to have a big guy in the forward line to at least provide a contest for us was huge, and to his credit he got on the end of a couple as well.”

While Frampton was the standout player on the ground, Lokan said it was his team’s consistency across the board that went a long way towards claiming the two points. “I thought we were really consistent today, we had good contribution from everyone and we got the result we were after,” he said.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-04-27/lokan-efficient-magpies-still-seeking-consistency

“We have probably lacked that (tall forward),” Lokan said. “Frampton was out suspended for two weeks but just to have a big guy in the forward line to at least provide a contest for us was huge, and to his credit he got on the end of a couple as well.

He makes it sound like he played a Marshall-esque game presenting a contest and kicking 2 goals.

A number of regular attendees of Maggie's games have been pointing out for about 3 or 4 seasons now that Frampton could be worth developing as a KPF.
They are historically the hardest players to find, and the bloke is a strong mark, usually accurate kick, is decent below his knees, and could pinch hit in the ruck when required as well.

He missed the vast majority of his first season with leg problems, and in only about his 3rd or 4th game for the Maggies (which was a final) I can recall him setting up a goal in the right forward pocket at the scoreboard end of Adelaide oval with a bullet like hand pass in traffic, and thinking at the time this bloke has definitely got something to work with.

As a comparison Freo have shown incredible patience with Taberner (spelling?), who from memory was drafted the season before Wild Billy, and I'm guessing would be around the 50 AFL game mark, and he is now becoming an effective player at that level.

In Port's AFL journey so far we have been rat crap at developing tall forwards, I'm not including Tredders and the very unlucky Bowen Lockwood in that assessment, because they were both superior natural talents that would have always evolved into high quality players regardless.

Last edited:
What an inciteful rebuttal. We are all so lucky to be able to bask in your glory on this site, and to get the opportunity to read the facts that you clarify for us. I only hope that the gospel you have been spreading is reaching as many Bigfooty posters as possible so we can all be enlightened by your genius.

Maybe not the nicest thing to say but it’s genuine

I’m baffled that someone could have watched Marshall’s last two games, after knowing how we play without him in the side and think he needs to be dropped from the afl side or see his game against the Roos as poor. He fought hard as hell. He competed super well in the air when he could run and jump at it and he was against Scott Thompson who stands the best kf in the league every week, none of whom are 20 years old. Marshall struggled when he got caught under the ball as the Roos were allowed to push and hold him and he didn’t have the few extra kgs to hold them off and didn’t have the umpire protection a Riewoldt etc would have had. Marshall isnt like a Ben Brown who’s only contribution to his team is goals kicked. If someone can’t see that by eye, or in results it’s not because they’re not there, it’s because they don’t want to see it.

I like that this site has people with different views. It’s generally a good thing

But in your case there is nothing behind your views of substance. Just an irrational stubbornness.

I don’t believe that I’m spreading gospel when I talk or that I’m always right, but I do offer opinions and I do so by explaining why I’ve come to those opinions. My opinions can change as players change and we see new things from players.

Last edited:
Maybe not the nicest thing to say but it’s genuine

I’m baffled that someone could have watched Marshall’s last two games, after knowing how we play without him in the side and think he needs to be dropped from the afl side

I like that this site has people with different views. It’s generally a good thing

But in your case there is nothing behind you views of substance. Just an irrational stubbornness.

I don’t believe that I’m spreading gospel when I talk or that I’m always right, but I do offer opinions and I do so by explaining why I’ve come to those opinions. My opinions can change as players change and we see new things from players.
Im baffled people can be so blinded by Marshall's potential, that they don't see a kid who got pushed out of marking contests without a whimper all night, who fumbles the marks he does actually get his hands to as if he is shocked it fell for him. Yes he does smart things from time to time, and yes he has extreme potential, but he's in the side to take marks, provide contests and kick goals. He didn't do the first or the third at all, and the second one he barely did as well.

Go read the post match thread and tell me I'm alone. It's not some stubborn opinion. It's someone that's not afraid to call his performance, exactly what it was.

I was sitting in a group of people that were all getting extremely frustrated with Marshall. Countless soft efforts were all met with large groans.

I 100% understand that having a tall in the side helps our structure, but he was still beatem so convincingly that on the weekend it became obvious how much we miss Dixon. It's also why Framptons form at SANFL level is so exciting, and is worthy of rewarding at the expense of Marshall, because while Marshall's actual output is like it was this weekend we need another tall to stand up and keep that structure. Hence I would be selecting Frampton now if it was up to me. If Frampton wasn't there and performing I would stick with Marshall and pick him again, as I agree we need a tall in that spot, and he has so much potential that playing him on any given day could result in a big day out, but the reality is he played garbage on the weekend and was a huge liability and I think it's time to give Big Billy a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im baffled people can be so blinded by Marshall's potential, that they don't see a kid who got pushed out of marking contests without a whimper all night, who fumbles the marks he does actually get his hands to as if he is shocked it fell for him. Yes he does smart things from time to time, and yes he has extreme potential, but he's in the side to take marks, provide contests and kick goals. He didn't do the first or the third at all, and the second one he barely did as well.

Go read the post match thread and tell me I'm alone. It's not some stubborn opinion. It's someone that's not afraid to call his performance, exactly what it was.

I was sitting in a group of people that were all getting extremely frustrated with Marshall. Countless soft efforts were all met with large groans.

I 100% understand that having a tall in the side helps our structure, but he was still beatem so convincingly that on the weekend it became obvious how much we miss Dixon. It's also why Framptons form at SANFL level is so exciting, and is worthy of rewarding at the expense of Marshall, because while Marshall's actual output is like it was this weekend we need another tall to stand up and keep that structure. Hence I would be selecting Frampton now if it was up to me. If Frampton wasn't there and performing I would stick with Marshall and pick him again, as I agree we need a tall in that spot, and he has so much potential that playing him on any given day could result in a big day out, but the reality is he played garbage on the weekend and was a huge liability and I think it's time to give Big Billy a go.

He’s a 20 year old stringbean kf who was atoms away from taking some of the best contested marks a kf would have taken this year. He struggled when caught under the ball but that’s not surprising.

He isn’t going to become the player he can be in the sanfl. Port is a better team with him in it.

Both these things are evidenced by results, not opinion.

Without a whimper my ass. He contested. He took big knocks and went back and flew for marks again. He kept his feet when others fall over. He never cried to the umps when he was repeatedly pushed under the ball.

He was miles better than the highly fancied kf at the other end whose only possible contribution to a team is if he marks the ball inside fifty and converts because he offers nothing else.

If Marshall didn’t play versus the Roos I’m pretty positive we lose that game.

Last edited:
I think it's time to give Big Billy a go.
In 2015 at Richmond Oval v Westies Billy had shown to me that he was a superior upgrade on Lobbe.
That he's been on the list since 2014 for 1 game is beyond ridiculous. How this situation has come about can only
be explained by Ken who over the years, has demonstrated a weird, counter-productive even cruel stubbornness
to players and fans alike. Frankly I'm surprised Billy hasn't left the club.
Look at Clurey and how long he had to wait.
Remember when Houston was dropped for our first China game and replaced by AJ. A wtf moment if ever there was one.

Personally I'm likely to never get an explanation from Ken because I gave up listening to him a fair while ago.

Yup!
There’s nothing wrong with people wanting Marshall to do well, but if Dixon had a similar game on Friday he’d be crucified.

Yup!
There’s nothing wrong with people wanting Marshall to do well, but if Dixon had a similar game on Friday he’d be crucified.

Slightly higher pay packet and expectations.
Todd is a developing forward as was Wazza and Jay Schulz once. Todd needs games and we wear it.

Dixon is a far more experienced player and built like a brick shithouse don't let that spoil ya narrative.
I know, but the fact remains his output is lower than we need. Which is the point!
Not enough marks and goals from a key forward.
We do wear it, but some here are arguing that he’s playing fantastic. He’s not, he’s developing and making some poor decisions.

Garner looks a player. Just needs to hang in there to get his chance at AFL level. Composed, team orientated footballer.

Frampton is a KPF and not a genuine ruckman. Can we continue to develop him with this in mind. Good game by Billy.

Ladhams will form a terrific tandem with Hayes in years to come. He is really impressive.
Garner is a beauty. Can't wait until he debuts. Hopefully it's soon.

I know, but the fact remains his output is lower than we need. Which is the point!
Not enough marks and goals from a key forward.
We do wear it, but some here are arguing that he’s playing fantastic. He’s not, he’s developing and making some poor decisions.
Marshall is best option we have available and he needs to be developed, he offers more mobility than Frampton which suits the make-up of the side.
I'm a Billy fan but he would come in for Ryder if injured and play predominantly at deep forward IMO and on the other side of the coin I think Ladhams would need Lycett to cop an injury to debut.

Last edited:
As someone stated earlier (and my apologies for not remembering) that we need Frampton to be given the opportunity yet we need Marshall playing as much AFL until it's absolutely necessary to give him a run in the sanfl.

Isn't it so frustrating that Frampton was not given a couple of games early last year when Ryder was out and Billy had reasonable sanfl form?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back